DnB Intelligent DnB Compo Voting

Vote for your favourite two tracks...

• Total voters
well man, have you actually read the comments by other users above?

That wad to update the k2t dummy track and bhk track, not a rule.

I'm sorry I fail to see the rule change within the circle. Also, did you know that typing in a bigger font makes your writing seem smarter.

But on that page you can see that the judges will judge the winners by style.

Dude, you are fine. I think just a couple of guys are feeling insecure about their tracks. These compos here are all about the fun, learning, and sharing. Not for pointless bickering about things that do not matter.

Magnificant competition here, too bad I couldn't join in. But just left my 2 votes. :D

As I didn't join and can be fully independent in my review:
In my opinion, the critique about intelligent or not is justified with a number of submissions ...

@ comp boss: you could rename the vote into "Select 2 submissions that sound most Intelligent DnB alike to you"
instead of "Vote for your favourite two tracks"

Cheers from Rotterdam, Lucas
:rasta:

Mate, of course, we all had fun. U missing the point here
I also remember in August it said not to make any neuro or liquid, just Intelligent DRUM N BASS.

My track is probably the worst sounding and non-IDB of all submitted (and I don't care).
But at least I avoided parts/techniques of all other dnb genres.

That wad to update the k2t dummy track and bhk track, not a rule.

I'm sorry I fail to see the rule change within the circle. Also, did you know that typing in a bigger font makes your writing seem smarter.

But on that page you can see that the judges will judge the winners by style.

Dude, you are fine. I think just a couple of guys are feeling insecure about their tracks. These compos here are all about the fun, learning, and sharing. Not for pointless bickering about things that do not matter.

Magnificant competition here, too bad I couldn't join in. But just left my 2 votes. :D

As I didn't join and can be fully independent in my review:
In my opinion, the critique about intelligent or not is justified with a number of submissions ...

@ comp boss: you could rename the vote into "Select 2 submissions that sound most Intelligent DnB alike to you"
instead of "Vote for your favourite two tracks"

Cheers from Rotterdam, Lucas
:rasta:

Personally im happy with people voting for their favourite track. As i said i think judges should simply consider how the the top 5 producers approached the project in terms of having gone for the classic sound. Judges views are final in any case. If they choose a winner that is straight up liquid in some peoples eyes i think all thats required is an explanation. If they felt the pad was a good interpretation of the intelligent style then thats good enough id say.
Not an easy task this one for the judges because this particular style can be interpreted in many ways. I would consider this one by Kid Drama in the intelligent catagorie through it use of melody...

But then most would see perhaps ASC as being a bit more akin to what we were looking for...

As long as theres an explanation relating to why the tracks were chosen its all good imo.

Last edited:
HAHAHA ... yes, this !!

Some of these are really good. Can someone explain to me the difference between liquid and intelligent? One is modern and chill and one is jazzier and chill? Which one would you consider Mr Happy to be?

Not an easy task this one for the judges because this particular style can be interpreted in many ways.

I agree with this, think we've got quite the task ahead of us with judging this. Would have been easier to judge if we had one track that was miles ahead of everyone else but dammit why are you all so good guys?! :teeth:

@EvezDroppin @logikz @Dark Lizardro

Shall we have 3 judging categories ranked out of 10 for how close it is to the original intelligent sound, originality of track and production quality?
I'm not stating what I think is right here, just my fairly loose opinion of it all... But I think originality of track and production quality would be enough.. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think if it is that intelligent sound it should stand out as having some originality, rather than a simple, unimaginative drum pattern and bassline?

To be clear, I'm not really sure Steve... :D

Wow, so many good tracks! i need to check them when i am back in europe. Thanks to all people involved.(y)
To feed the discussion: I considre my track as not "intelligent". Therefor everyone can easily vote an other song. I guess i am to young to nail that genre. But still i tried to preserve some elements of it. But i am really thankfull for the whole competition and i learned a lot by creating my track. :) So i am really thankfull for the whole competition ;)

I'm not stating what I think is right here, just my fairly loose opinion of it all... But I think originality of track and production quality would be enough.. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think if it is that intelligent sound it should stand out as having some originality, rather than a simple, unimaginative drum pattern and bassline?

To be clear, I'm not really sure Steve... :D

Yeah I'll go with that, marks out of 10 on originality and production and we're good, should make it easier for people to know why we picked whoever as the winner.

Liquid and intelligent are both sub genres of dnb and overlap quite a bit.
Intelligent was renamed liquid (intelligent was not an appreciated sub genre name specially not by the jump up crowd, it really had to be changed so with fabios compilation cd 'liquid funk' the restyled sub genre took its first baby steps.
You see another aspect of intelligent dnb breaking off into a separate sub genre too, I. E drumfunk ) like techstep was renamed neurofunk (don't know why they did that).

Sort of, there is a clear difference in the later stuff, but early stuff is indistinguishable. This compo however is about the intelligent side of things, and calibre is a liquid king for example but he retains tons of intelligence in his sound.

I've not voted yet but curiosity got the better of me whilst at work so I had a quick flick through the tracks. A great set of entries for the compo and looking forward to having a proper listen through.

Good luck sorting out the sub-genre discussion!

To me the difference is minor if any at all. I find it really hard to distinguish between liquid and intelligent. In both all I hear is DnB drums in a variety of styles not dependant on the sub genre and mixed in with pads and ambient stuff. I’d call liquid if some chick was singing along though

I am going to listen again later but if I remember there were several entries that I could vote for based on enjoyment, production and resampling but I am going to vote based on the sub genre. But to be honest I had not even heard of the term intelligent dnb although I heard a bit of jungle on pirate radio and DJ Hype Jungle Massive CD I didnt really start properly listening to drum and bass until 2005.

I had heard of most of the producers that were listed but not a lot of their stuff. It has been good listening to some older tunes for research and I have found loads that are sick. Some of the entries were just too modern sounding to vote for so I will vote based on the late 90s sound.

I had so much fun with the project and I’ve learned a thing or two along the way. Now I’m more comfortable and probably prefer working with audio rather than midi. I never expected to score with it being my first upload and all I really want to gain is some feedback and advice for future projects.

This is an example of how you really win during these comps. Good for you.
Mate, of course, we all had fun.
Then stick with that. I'm sure your track is fine and we would love to hear how you made the bits and pieces of it, and everybody is happy to have you here.

Is intelligent drum and bass the same as intelliegent jungle?

Honestly, it's all drum and bass. These genre discussions and arguments been have part of drum and bass jungle since before I got into the music.

Liquid and intelligent are both sub genres of dnb and overlap quite a bit.
Intelligent was renamed liquid (intelligent was not an appreciated sub genre name specially not by the jump up crowd, it really had to be changed so with fabios compilation cd 'liquid funk' the restyled sub genre took its first baby steps.
You see another aspect of intelligent dnb breaking off into a separate sub genre too, I. E drumfunk ) like techstep was renamed neurofunk (don't know why they did that).

Sort of, there is a clear difference in the later stuff, but early stuff is indistinguishable. This compo however is about the intelligent side of things, and calibre is a liquid king for example but he retains tons of intelligence in his sound.

This ^^^

Back
Top Bottom