Intelligent Compo 2018 Winner and Results

logikz

I Am Not The King
Ladies and gentlemen, the results are over and what a great comp it has been! We've judged the entries on 4 categories all ranked out of 10, which are:

Originality / Creative sample usage
True to the typical intelligent sound
Production quality
Arrangement

Alright gents, heres whats what...

B - Rounder

F - Jojabes

G - Fluff AKA Jago

K - DnbPhil

L - Kai98 AKA KaiiConcept

It gives us great pleasure to announce that our winner with an average of 32.2/40 (yup we had to use decimals I know) iss.....

ENTRANT G!!!!!

FLUFF ÅKA JAGO

Let's congratulate them and be forever jealous of the fabulous gifts they get from @bhksamples and wishing it was us who won instead!

Judges feedback is below!

Feedback by @SteveR94

B:
Originality / Creative sample usage - 8
True to the typical intelligent sound - 8
Production quality - 7
Arrangement - 8
Total score: 31/40

This one is the most up my street in terms of just being a song I would enjoy as a listener. I was close to giving an 8 or even a 9 on the production quality, but the crash being pretty loud in the mix for me really became distracting the more I listened. I like the use of amens chopped up around the beat when it drops, gives it a nice shuffle and movement. Nice and original with the vocal, I think there's maybe a bit too much fizzing on it, which is more noticeable in the breakdown and lead up to second drop. Also I very much enjoy the fact that the second drop sounds different to the first, I'm always a sucker for that kinda thing.

F:
True to the typical intelligent sound - 6
Production quality - 8
Arrangement - 7
Total score: 29/40

Really like the production on this one, great synth work on this, I can tell you really worked with those samples rather than just cut and paste. I'd say it's slightly off the mark with the intelligent sound here, but that is a subjective thing. At points I would have liked the bassline to switch up more, I do hear some work put into having a few different bass sounds in there, but I would have maybe liked the bass to change maybe with different notes, to feel like the track is progressing more along with the changes in the synths. The production is very well done though, I have no doubt a lot of producers in this thread are going to be asking you for tips!

G:
Originality / Creative sample usage - 7
True to the typical intelligent sound - 9
Production quality - 8
Arrangement - 8
Total score: 32/40

Love the intro to this, so atmospheric and spacey! I think the snare in this track could have been slightly toned down, it seemed to stick out a bit much for me. This really nails the intelligent sound in my opinion while giving it a 2018 polish so to say, very well done there. I think at points, the sub seems a bit too loud, turning that down just a touch would have solved that issue. Excellent track though, I look forward to hearing more of your work for sure! Breakdown is my favourite bit, love that little hook that gets introduced there, really really good. I do kinda wish that hook extended on when the second drop came, just for a switch in vibe.

K:
Production quality - 6
Arrangement - 7
Total score: 28/40

The concept is sound for this comp, but I think the production especially in regards to the drums kinda let this track down. At points there's a bit too much fizzing for my liking, and I would have liked the bassline to have a bit more prominence as it feels to be drowned out a bit. I think with a little more care on the mixdown of this track, this could have sounded incredibly cool. I can say it's clear this artist did take lots of inspiration from the sound the hosts were looking for so well done there.

L:
Production quality - 7
Arrangement - 7
Total score: 30/40

I absolutely love the vibe of this track! Like L this is one I feel suffers from a slightly unpolished mixdown, although in regards to both I can see why you went for that sort of mix. Bassline is my favourite part in this track, nice rolling vibe to it. Not a fan of the vocal things coming around the 1:28 mark, I think they're a bit too loud in the mix and so are very distracting for me. I do like the fact you have the chords and such for the second drop, they give the track this energy as if it's been elevated to another level, but at the same time I do think the second half slightly drags a bit, and could have been made a bit tighter.

Feedback from @EvezDroppin

B
Production quality - 8
Arrangement - 7.5
total = 31.5

very solid track, the mixdown and arrangement is great, although I would have liked to hear a bit
more going on in the midrange and a touch more variation on the bassline at times.

Such a minor detail and not playing often but the crash does stand out a lot.
The amen fills do sound good, although I would have liked a build up towards them,
Maybe first hearing them where it was just the drums and the 808, this isn't a negative just preference on the journey of the track.
Some variation in the bass and some mid range would have elevated this for me.

F
Originality / Creative sample usage - 9
True to the typical intelligent sound - 7
Production quality - 8
Arrangement - 7.5

this had a veery creative vibe for sure. While it was slightly outside the box of true to the sound,
I think it was a worthy spin on it and actually fits quite well.
It could have done with a touch more variation and flare at times mainly with some bass sounds or edits here and there but the strength of the track makes it a contender.

G
True to the typical intelligent sound - 8.5
Production quality - 9
Arrangement - 8
total = 32.5

The quality stands out on this one for me, just in terms of how well everything sits, the snare and the intro had me quite hooked.
Some of the processing on the sounds coming in and out gives them a real character too.
The only reason I haven't given this more in arrangement marks is due to wanting some small
stand out moments just to surprise me from time to time. That said, the few edits here and there are very well done and sound rather polished.

K:
Production quality - 6
Arrangement - 8
total = 29

Really love the vibe on this one, so much so if the mixdown had been on par with some of the others I think this would have been my favourite by a decent stretch.
I can hear so much potential in this and it's such a shame it's let down by mainly the drums.
I'd be interested in hearing a reworked version on this possibly switching out the kick and tweaking the percs/snare.

L:
True to the typical intelligent sound - 7
Production quality - 6.5
Arrangement -8
total = 29.5

Similar to track K, one of my favourite vibes, that moody bassline carries the track very well.
The little bass edits here and there are great too.
Sadly I feel this track has similar issues in the mixdown could be more polished,
the drums sound a touch harsh but the main problem for me is volume levels and harshness of the fx sounds etc coming in.

Feedback from @logikz

B
Originality / Creative sample usage - 6
Production quality - 8
Arrangement -6
total = 28

Fantastic quality, its so true to the sound and the mixdown is so balanced. The amen snare is unfortunate, you must have more faith in the sound to just do its thing, alternatively come up with a better element.
It's even sounds midi, that was the thing about the artcore sound, it was made with expensive studios on big midi keyboards, it wasn't that tracker sound. Maybe it goes on for a bit too long. Great use of the vocal sample, fantastic synths rising and pads. Just the main groove is marred by the amen snare and its not sounding good. The concept is sound, however.

F
Originality / Creative sample usage - 3
Production quality - 8
Arrangement - 6
total = 23

The kick is insanely pronounced but the mix is crystal. There is some real instrument jamming with the strings. You shouldn't have settled for that groove with just the filtered pads, you should have worked in a second pad and maybe the vocal in there. It's lazy, but I can't deny it's a good sound

G
Production quality - 8
Arrangement -8
total = 32

Here we have someone who didn't lazy the main riff, its a damn symphony of intelligence. Pads and flutters as it washes on its shore of a sturdy bit simple bedrock of a break and a sub, crustal clear in the mix. It sounds like a jam, did you make this on the go? Then the keys drop, it's lush. Love it, I keep saying this about this sound, I adore this sound. The amen is so nice.
There are dissonant bits and pieces of synths here and there but that kind of goes with the sound.

K

Originality / Creative sample usage - 4
True to the typical intelligent sound - 4
Production quality - 4
Arrangement - 6
total = 18

wonderful programming but what's with the kick, its wrecking the mix. Then a neuro bass comes in. It's got a lot of potential, you can clearly hear they get it, they understand that intelligent sound, but the craft isn't quite there yet. Keep at it!

L
Production quality - 6
Arrangement -6
total = 25

great song, sadly let down by the overwhelming kick. It wrecks the mix, but the rest of the elements aroud it are much more on point. It's a bit like future sound of London (that thing with Tony Coleman) maybe, with the awesome house piano riff.
You can hear the writer is dope, just need to figure out the groove and the mix a bit, the hihats arent fitting so well, even if I agree on the pattern

Last edited:
Well done everyone, a good comp with loads of good entries. Congrats to Fluff on winning. To save me having to add things up is there any chance you could confirm the top 3 as I think the comp had prizes for all these places.

Thanks for the feedback, always nice to hear some constructive feedback, not sure I agree with everything said but it would be boring if we all thought the same.

Nice one again for taking the time to run the comp. Looking forward to the next one.

Thank you so much guys for everything ! Congrats to G, well deserved! I can learn a lot because of that feedback <3.

That's my advice to everybody, don't be lazy, there is no vst auto effect that's going to write a cool riff for you, it's a big effort of pulling together a bunch of good techniques, each of them good enough to make a whole element of, but they all have to go into the riff, because its going to be a cool ass riff.

Your riff was a bit of an autofilter workout or? I'm just guessing, don't take offence seriously big guy

Well done everyone, a good comp with loads of good entries. Congrats to Fluff on winning. To save me having to add things up is there any chance you could confirm the top 3 as I think the comp had prizes for all these places.

Thanks for the feedback, always nice to hear some constructive feedback, not sure I agree with everything said but it would be boring if we all thought the same.

Nice one again for taking the time to run the comp. Looking forward to the next one.
which one is you again? I was sure you would win when you submitted your tune tbh

All the tunes deserve review really, that's how much I like this compo. Best compo ever imp xoxoxoxoxox

My one was the 95 pioneers thing with Univsol Mc on fake documentary sample duties. Had a blast making it.

I did scribble some notes down when I was trying to make my decision on voting. Is it ok to leave some feedback for everyone that took part? It won’t be as detailed as above but someone might find something in my ramblings useful.

To be fair your tune was actually my favourite in terms of just listening to them, same goes to entry I which I loved and was surprised not to see in the top 5 (shoutouts whoever that was too)

Is it ok to leave some feedback for everyone that took part? It won’t be as detailed as above but someone might find something in my ramblings useful.

Happy for this to happen, and that extends to everyone, feel free to give feedback on whoever you want and however much you want. Go on, help each other out! :D

Last edited:
That's my advice to everybody, don't be lazy, there is no vst auto effect that's going to write a cool riff for you, it's a big effort of pulling together a bunch of good techniques, each of them good enough to make a whole element of, but they all have to go into the riff, because its going to be a cool ass riff.

Your riff was a bit of an autofilter workout or? I'm just guessing, don't take offence seriously big guy

Yeah iam happy because i always thought that i am struggeling the most with my production level, but it turns out it is more of an arrangement issue. Maybe somedoby can help me out ^^? For the first drop i think i used sample "Atmo 03" i reversed it, but some reverb on it, psychdelayed it, but a resonator on it, granulated it, bounced it... did it again. Then panned it to the left and pitched one version up 7 semitones and put it on the right. Then i automated a filter and made it fade with other samples, which i treated the same. In the end i did some stutter edits with cubase loopmash fx. I have to look it up again tomorrow to know exactly ^^.

Yeah iam happy because i always thought that i am struggeling the most with my production level, but it turns out it is more of an arrangement issue. Maybe somedoby can help me out ^^? For the first drop i think i used sample "Atmo 03" i reversed it, but some reverb on it, psychdelayed it, but a resonator on it, granulated it, bounced it... did it again. Then panned it to the left and pitched one version up 7 semitones and put it on the right. Then i automated a filter and made it fade with other samples, which i treated the same. In the end i did some stutter edits with cubase loopmash fx. I have to look it up again tomorrow to know exactly ^^.

Sounds good, but did you know what you wanted it to do, did it become what you were after, and if so, where do you pull from? Do you remember your influence for that sound at all?

Some artist don't have a vision, that's also a possibility. Don't get me wrong, I know that.

Sounds good, but did you know what you wanted it to do, did it become what you were after, and if so, where do you pull from? Do you remember your influence for that sound at all?

Some artist don't have a vision, that's also a possibility. Don't get me wrong, I know that.

It was a combination of some things i guess, at first the song was finished with the padsounds unfiltered. But all that processing and rearranging made it offbeat or wierd sometimes. So for me one way to clean up timing issues and muddy things on pads is to do some filter automation. The track progressed from there. I don´t know, i think everybody has that feeling when producing when some things work for you. That idea worked out the best for me.

I want to give a huge shout out to F, H, and B. Respectively my favorite tracks. Who made H by the way? I love that track.

Congratulations to the winners. You guys earned it.

Also huge thanks to Manu and the judges for all their hard work.

Thanks man nice to hear! Expieriences like this competition help me to learn what to focus on.
Honestly I thought your track was all around the best, but not necessarily the most “intelligent.”
I would not beat yourself up to much and appreciate how well of a track you made.

Back
Top Bottom