Intelligent Compo 2018 Winner and Results

I want to give a huge shout out to F, H, and B. Respectively my favorite tracks. Who made H by the way? I love that track.

Congratulations to the winners. You guys earned it.

Also huge thanks to Manu and the judges for all their hard work.

Aiyo you know I be reviewing, that's how the god do, nah mean. You come to my show, I'll be rapping, you know, I be reviewing, and I be getting dat guap, nahm sayin. Then I rock and then review, then I be rolling in Lexus, but all the time reviewing, cos that how the gods mental be, you feel me.

Ay gimme a plate of food and maybe we can go smoke and drink and I make you pregnant, you my baby ma, nah mean. Have a baby by me. Reviewing, son.

Aiyo you know I be reviewing, that's how the god do, nah mean. You come to my show, I'll be rapping, you know, I be reviewing, and I be getting dat guap, nahm sayin. Then I rock and then review, then I be rolling in Lexus, but all the time reviewing, cos that how the gods mental be, you feel me.

Ay gimme a plate of food and maybe we can go smoke and drink and I make you pregnant, you my baby ma, nah mean. Have a baby by me. Reviewing, son.

Yes Sir that was a good story.

I voted for F and M. F for being the best overall tune. M for being the quantum leap ditty that resonated the most for a mid 90's intelligent vibe to me (Hidden Agenda feels fo' sho')

I'm going to make a sandwich now and reflect on the whole competition, with another pint of wine.

I voted for M and O, because I felt they were the best at what I think of as intelligent DNB. I think everyone's entry was great, though!
Kinda feel like this was finally the compo where everyone didn't vote for A, and it wasn't actually the dummy track this time... But maybe it just shows that we don't actually need a dummy track.

There were many great tracks that didn't get any attention because of lesser tunes that beat them in the voting, I think they all should be reviewed, I got a good mind to make my own fave selection, O and M (m is such a fucking star of a tune, what he does with the pad is amazing, if m is the tune I think it is) O is such an endearing little Diddy, all tiny amen and awesome pad work and bass.

I voted for M and O, because I felt they were the best at what I think of as intelligent DNB. I think everyone's entry was great, though!
Kinda feel like this was finally the compo where everyone didn't vote for A, and it wasn't actually the dummy track this time... But maybe it just shows that we don't actually need a dummy track.
Trust me we need one.

I want to give a huge shout out to F, H, and B. Respectively my favorite tracks. Who made H by the way? I love that track.

Congratulations to the winners. You guys earned it.

Also huge thanks to Manu and the judges for all their hard work.

I am guilty of H - think i got votes just cos it was beside G and people clicked the wrong button :)

But a big thanks to the organisers - this was fun - congrats to the top tunes, and big ups all who entered. I would echo the previous sentiment that the standard was very impressive. Cheers!

A - a scifi sounding offering with a super steady kick and snare combo and a moving bassline. suspenseful.
the hihats are somewhat separated from the drums. its a bit novice, but i like it, its creative, and im a fool for creative.
id just have liked if it was more confident musically and more in line with our compo theme. PM me if you want to talk production stuffs.

B - already reviewed B, best tune of the compo if it werent for that amen snare. replace it with a couple of conga hits and you would have
nailed it. or, you know, probably.

C fantastic use of the vocal function of the compo, this is the kind of shit i love to hear. drops into a sturdy, if a tad wonky break, should have waited with the heavy snare until the real drop. wonky pad theme again, the things that make a gumbo good eatin is all in here, but its wonky. great synth work, mix is a tad unbalanced in the high regions. need to tame the gated pad in the resonance. the drops are ineffective, but it fits with the intelligent theme.

D this is somebody that truly gets it, how didnt this make the finals!? wonderful mixdown and fantastic pad work. oh, and the sub...
this, i love this sound. you had me at hello you beautiful bastard. im pulling my vote for P. cant fault this, its confident, intelligent,
and its production value is off the charts.

E this is a bit all over the shop, its hard to say what this is. musically it doesnt even know which way is up, but technically its not bad.
the breakdown is mentally capable and the mixdown is not bad at all. and this is a messy tune, so its hard to make a good mixdown
on a messy tune. you need to get better musically, both composition wise and theme wise. it barely makes the cut for intelligent on account
of being so messy. PM me if you want to talk.

F i already reviewed F, its a rocking tune, it very nearly nails the groove and the sound, even if very much too heavy on the kick.

G i already reviewed L, it shows promise, but isnt very good. frankly i dont understand how it got through to the finals.

H- sorry, i forgot H. H is fking amazing, the pad theme is not so much dnb but enya, but he more than makes up for it with all the
awesome synth work. this is the full groove i was talking about when i said dont be lazy. confident, musical, creative sample use,
i cant fault it, how did this not go through to the finals?

L i already reviewed L, it shows promise, but isnt very good. i dont understand how these two got through to the finals.
social engineering is allowed, so there is that.

M delicious really. it falls under intelligent because beleive it or not, the dillinja rocker can be said to be intelligent in certain aspects.
the part with the slow drums is awesome. the part with the amen, namely the bulk of the tune is amazing too.
the drums hit hard, the bass is deep, the synths are decidedly synthy, its not quite the intelligent style we were looking for,
but it makes the cut. this is a personal fave.

N this is probably the best tune of them all, the man who did this is no fking joke. everything is on point, bass, drums, synths.
the chords are lacking somewhat, to get the intelligent sound you have to extend your chords, big man! thats all you had to do!
id vote for this tune twice if i didnt have to vote for P too. AND HE RECORDED HIS OWN VOCAL, probably by getting someone who
cant sing and then making it work in the song, its genius it really is.

O is just tops, ive said it many times, an endearing little diddy, but also, a fierce jam, the keys are low and hiphop tribe called quest ish, the bass is rocking and its really quite musical. love what you done here ron! youre also a massive bender, as it were. i hope you know that.

P is a fucking marvel of technology, whoever did P is a damn genius. mad respect to whom ever made P, id like a little go through how you did
the drums and the the synths, basically. this is a more liquid offering, but still intelligent and with the most rocking house piano riff. id like to know your process. i had to turn this off on the third repeat because it took me back to ibiza too hard, and all the disaster, madness and mayhem that lurks that island. great work man, just tops.

Last edited:
Yes Sir that was a good story.

ah, so thats the type of fight this is gonna be, its the long game were playing, is it?`fine. good. ok. ill just be over here, until you slip, and the ice breaks.
then ill be there, on the side, in the crowd. quietly snickering, but on the inside. on the outside in waving my arms and crying, because im smoothe like thay, bucko.

you do skate frozen lakes, i take it. otherwise my shit dont work. you know what, forget i said anything, i need something less specific.

I am guilty of H - think i got votes just cos it was beside G and people clicked the wrong button :)

But a big thanks to the organisers - this was fun - congrats to the top tunes, and big ups all who entered. I would echo the previous sentiment that the standard was very impressive. Cheers!

H- sorry, i forgot H. H is fking amazing, the pad theme is not so much dnb but enya, but he more than makes up for it with all the
awesome synth work. this is the full groove i was talking about when i said dont be lazy. confident, musical, creative sample use,
i cant fault it, how did this not go through to the finals. its a tad repetitive, the second drop isnt super excitiing but thats a minor thing.

C fantastic use of the vocal function of the compo, this is the kind of shit i love to hear. drops into a sturdy, if a tad wonky break, should have waited with the heavy snare until the real drop. wonky pad theme again, the things that make a gumbo good eatin is all in here, but its wonky. great synth work, mix is a tad unbalanced in the high regions. need to tame the gated pad in the resonance. the drops are ineffective, but it fits with the intelligent theme.

I’m glad you liked the vocal. I never thought my first upload would feature me on the vocals. Not quite singing or rapping. Probably closer to talking. What is wonky? Do you mean the timing? Can you confirm what you mean by that? All the pointers are great and I will take them into my next project. Thanks for the feedback. Cheers bud

I’m glad you liked the vocal. I never thought my first upload would feature me on the vocals. Not quite singing or rapping. Probably closer to talking. What is wonky? Do you mean the timing? Can you confirm what you mean by that? All the pointers are great and I will take them into my next project. Thanks for the feedback. Cheers bud

absolutely, i dont find the main break youve done very good, the flow of the break isnt there, and the arrangement is somewhat irregular. quite novice, i had some idea it was very early work from the artist. this is not how you make a break and not how you structure it, even if it hits pretty hard in the right regions, so your sound design isnt half bad and the balance between elements is also pretty good
. its wonky because it doenst show confidence in what its supposed to be. dont get me wrong, you can break new ground in music, but thats not what im saying is the case here.

the pad theme is wonky quite simply because its not a them. listen to your pads do they sound right? do they sound like other producers you know of? do they even sound like they are in tune.
your chords are not in a good succession, it sounds like random keys being pressed, albeit in the right places, with the correct processing. wonky here means the notes you are using for the pad chords are not good, even if the pattern is regular and the texture isnt wrong. again, your balance of elements is good and your sound design is on point.

all in all id say youre on a distinguished path, and keep at it. what software do you work in? i could show my shitting thing i wrote if itll make you happier, im not saying im better than you, i hope you know that. what am i saying, of course you know that.

absolutely, i dont find the main break youve done very good, the flow of the break isnt there, and the arrangement is somewhat irregular. quite novice, i had some idea it was very early work from the artist. this is not how you make a break and not how you structure it, even if it hits pretty hard in the right regions, so your sound design isnt half bad and the balance between elements is also pretty good
. its wonky because it doenst show confidence in what its supposed to be. dont get me wrong, you can break new ground in music, but thats not what im saying is the case here.

the pad theme is wonky quite simply because its not a them. listen to your pads do they sound right? do they sound like other producers you know of? do they even sound like they are in tune.
your chords are not in a good succession, it sounds like random keys being pressed, albeit in the right places, with the correct processing. wonky here means the notes you are using for the pad chords are not good, even if the pattern is regular and the texture isnt wrong. again, your balance of elements is good and your sound design is on point.

all in all id say youre on a distinguished path, and keep at it. what software do you work in? i could show my shitting thing i wrote if itll make you happier, im not saying im better than you, i hope you know that. what am i saying, of course you know that.

Its all good mate and thanks for the in depth response. I found it quite hard coming up with notes and chords from the pack though that of course was part of the challenge. Like you say it doesn't sound like other producers work. It sounded crap to me, especially the more i listened to it. I hesitated entering it because of this, but the only way im going to improve is if i get this sort of feedback and keep at it. So again thanks.
Ive uploaded my track onto my own soundcloud.

Back
Top Bottom