Instruments

Discussion in 'Production' started by torky123, Nov 13, 2013.

1. torky123

torky123 Member

Im currently trying to expand the amount of instruments that im using on my tracks. Sometimes I want to use specific instruments and atm the only way I can use them is through chopping soundclips that I find, obviously this has its flaws as it limits the creativity that I can put into the melody. Do people generally use vst's to obtain the sound they're looking for?

2. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

Usually if I want a real instrument sound my first thing is to hit up somebody I know who can actually play (at least reasonably well) and see if they're willing to just jam and riff out for a while so I can chop some goodies; next would be looking around sites like freesound and looperman to find some, preferably high-quality, recordings. If all that fails then yeah I'll look into a VST or a Kontakt library to get it done, but with the exceptions of some crazy huge libraries (Imperfect Samples libraries for example) they never catch ALL of the little subtleties of the instrument and performance to really do it justice.

Really the only exception to this that I can think of is with large string ensembles/chamber choir stuff and other things like that when I know I'm going to end up busting out Philharmonik or something in that vein.

torky123 likes this.
  3. torky123

torky123 Member

Yeahh i see, I have been thinking about trying 2 get some pals 2 record stuff but was unsure on how good the recording set up would have to be, dont have anything to record atm so would mean splashing out on a decent mic. Iv heard people going on about philharmonik quite a lot, think I might need to look into getting that too! Cheers man

4. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

decent mic (and a stand) is all you'd need, not even an amazing one really, could probably get away with using a portable field recorder sort of thing.

It's definitely worth getting a mic anyway....so much fun to be had going round your house making noise, can really open a few doors with your production.

torky123 likes this.
  5. torky123

torky123 Member

Cheers, i am very tempted! Maybe someone wants to buy me some equipment for christmas haha