Instrument frequency ranges

TongueFlap

Flappin'
VIP Junglist
lots of people ask questions about mix downs and where instruments should sit in the mix. This should help
eqinstrumentrange10.gif

Last edited:
Stupid question here, but where do I see what frequencies my instruments are playing at, or what the frequency of my tune looks like? I use ableton and I've seen it done but I don't have a clue.

Saved the picture for when I find out, anyway.

Stupid question here, but where do I see what frequencies my instruments are playing at, or what the frequency of my tune looks like? I use ableton and I've seen it done but I don't have a clue.

you will need a spectral analyser mate, normally a plug-in. I use logics built in one. :)

they look like this -

000012981.jpg

ableton has a built in spectral analyser... it's under audio effects 'spectrum' or sumthing.

just drop it on over the master, then play the instrument/channel you wana know about on solo whilst lookin at the master, and roberts your fathers brother!

Yup Spectrum's the one in abes. I use the Accurate Fast preset on the Master, seems to work ok. Probably better to have it on the particular channel you're working with so you don't have to keep clicking the master channel.

that Club track guide is a bit
flawed... dnb snare hits at
200hz with formants sitting all
the way up the spectrum above that...
not upwards of 500hz...
this would be one weak snare
with no real weight...

Same goes for the kick...
DNB kick hits around 100...

not upwards of 500hz...
with no real weight...

agreed... you wana have your kick hitting around 85-100hz mark, and boost the snare around 130 to give it weight and help it push through the mix.

not upwards of 500hz...
with no real weight...

I was noticing the same feeling of, "meh.... that can't be quite right"...

"Electro Bass" at 200 hz... ummm... no n stuff, lol.

It seems like an ok guide but in the end... there are some ultra basic rules to follow for 'all' dance music... I'm no expert so please excuse me if I sound arrogant or 'know it all ish', but this is what I've come to understand and agree with in the last decade:

(I do a roll off during my Mastering at 40 hz down, because I never make sub below 40, just me, that and it cleans up any garbage below 40)... so

1. Bass [40 - 150]
2. Sub [40-80]
3. Mid Range (this includes bass 150-300ish and all kinds of "bass" layerwork) [300-800]
4. KDs [40-150]
5. SDs [150/180-350]
6. Hats/Woodwork/Misc Perc [150-800]
7. Pads [40-1K]

Basically, there are are no "real" rules when you think about it. For example, one track could have a huge Sub line peaking around the 40s... so your KD can be anywhere 'but' the 40s (unless you're going to use Sidechain Compression to make them work in perfect unison).

Or vice versa... you could have a huge KD in the 40s, and make your sub cover 50-90s.

One minute of the track you could have a pad that's High Passed and only covers 250-1K... and then when the Sub drops off for a 32 count, you could do an edit and have that same Pad with the HP Filter off and now it covers the space the Sub line was covering for that 32 'fill'.

With KDs and SDs, you want them to have the appropriate "smack" for your track.... it's nice to have an 'idea' of where certain sounds should go, but that shouldn't be the only rule to follow.

The rules are there for a reason however... they're there to make the mixing down process easier/cleaner, and they're there to ensure a pleasurable listening experience.

The guys that are good at what they do are the ones who can make a mixdown that sounds seamless, as if everything gels together magically... and one where all the sounds have their own space and do their job correctly with no obstruction.

That ^ can be done when simply following the basic rules or by also breaking the rules. Learning how to make fantastic mixdowns by following the basic rules is hard enough, but learing how to make magical mixdowns/creations when breaking the rules is even harder.

:i'mrambling:

Not to sound like a know it all, just wanted to share my thoughts..

penny
penny

Back
Top Bottom