Instra:Mental quit D&B forever

DjTiesticles

VIP Junglist
http://www.timeout.com/london/clubs/article/1981/time-out-lives-nite-sessions-instra-mental

"To be honest, I've just had enough of drum 'n' bass; Damon and I are both sick of it! There's not much room for us to develop in it any more. When we wrote [our 2009 single] 'Watching You', we didn't write any 170 beats per minute music [the tempo that drum 'n bass usually sits on] after that because we felt like that was the best tune we could do. We thought we'd quit drum 'n' bass while we were ahead."

Oh well, another one bites the dust

basically, this ^^^^^

on the other hand and a bit more biased, epic facepalm and imo everyone saying "they cant develop further within dnb" is a douchebag and/or ran out of ideas and/or wants to make money and/or wants to take the simpler route that techno/house/dubstep-whatever, is. :P

Meh.

Watching You is fucking sick though.. but there are plenty of other good producers churning out music just as good

No no no. Lots of good dnb about for sure, but instra:mental are something else.

A great shame.

Made some of my favourite Drum & Bass tunes. Always came with original, forward thinking, immaculately produced pieces of music. Producers these days with these traits are few and far between.

Can we post tunes yet?

One of my favourite tunes ever:

Whatever genre these guys decide to make I'll still keep up to date with their tunes.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are so much more than "Watching You" granted it was a big tune, but stood out because of how different it was imo hence it being played by so many different styles of DJ. But just listen to their back cat of tracks over the last few years and if there is honestly not one of their tunes you like.... stop listening to Drum&Bass.

Wow well that sucks. Their last release on the mosaic sampler was off the hook. I'm sure they will still keep making banging tunes though, regardless of the tempo. This one's a personal favourite of mine:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, quitting a genre you're hailed as pioneers an innovators in, to become just another name in one of the many 130-140 bpm tempos and make tunes that sound the same as everyone else's.

Honestly, Instra:mental's dub steppy/techno esq stuff is nothing special. In fact, it's pretty boring, where as tunes like 'No Future', 'Thugtronik', 'Pacific Heights', 'Detuned' and 'Watching You' literally changed the face of a musical genre and brought said genre to the attention of the world.

Sounds fucking retarded to me. Oh well, hopefully at some point they'll come back round.

sad but im sure they'll still do stuff with dbridge like they have, since watching you came out theyve had quite a few 170 releases.
boddika is the one to watch ;)
i just hope they dont start sounding like everyone else

210px-Strong_Sad_Violin.PNG

Despite this "new" sound...theres still something about the hype that comes with the dancefloor...NOTHING will ever take that away, no matter how many producers decide to "quit" because they are sick of it...nothing quite like gurning the fuck out of your face

Did you ever take a moment to think that perhaps people who like dnb wanted to go watch dance music that didn't entail being crammed into a sweaty gurn pit mostly full of other dudes? And for it to actually be about, you know, the music?

Don't get me wrong I like hard fast dance music as much as the next guy, but going to an Autonomic event is something different entirely. Very special thing those guys are doing.

I understand a shift in direction, wanting to explore something else, but he has just mugged off D&B a bit unnecessarily.

what is that whole 170bpm rant about? it doesn't make any sense to me? probably edited and lost the meaning.

Back
Top Bottom