DnB Inspirational DJ's

My main inspiritaion has to be seeing Andy C down in The End days rinsing 3 decks non stop for hours! I'll always have alot of love for him regardless of what kinda set he plays these days.

Loxy & dBridge are my main inspiration these days. Everytime I see them they're always smashing it with selection and mixing.

Randall is another one when he's playing jungle sets. No one can touch him on the decks playing an old selection. (Other than Andy of course) But Randalls selction is always on top!

Others include: Mampi Swift, Friction, Ink, Doc Scott & Fierce.

+1. A Nuera mix from years ago really spurred me onto start mixing.

Ohhhh you guys <3

People that inspired me to start have to be

Andy C
Craze
Hype
Randall

Probably mainly Craze though. I remember watching a Scratch DVD and it changed my life. Went out and bought turntables the next day.

Here's the vid by the way. EVERYONE should watch this.

Last edited by a moderator:
person who inspired me to start mixing was DJ Hype, 2010 DNB arena mix. Recently my inspirations have been Sub Zero, Majistrate, The Upbeats and Andy C, saw him play a mad set in portsmouth last month, he was mixing on too many decks haha. Also quite a few mixes on this forum from The Watcha, Papa J, Jwood and Danwell have been pretty inspirational

Yes!

yes that set was large! Over the last 5 years I've managed to see him a fair bit and always creates a wicked atmosphere.

I'd class 3 out of 4 of these as more inspiring producers...I don't personally believe any of them are that amazing at Djing...

Corrrr if you would have seen Loxy at the old Hardware nights, literally the whole dancefloor would go out for a cigarette. Literally like it was a planned exodus everytime he came on.

However - have seen a few much more recent Loxy sets that were mindblowing for selection

I dont care about skills anymore. I care about selection. Those 3 guys all play unique sets. I actually rarely listen to straight dnb mixes anymore. I'm really put off by the vast majority of tech step. I haven't listened to an Andy C set in literally 10 years.

It doesn't surprise me Loxy would kill the dancefloor at a Hardware night. Look at what Hardware has become. I can't imagine they attract a good crowd. Also, Loxy's in his 40's and his selection reflects as much.

For me it wasn't actually anyone famous. It was a local DJ in the southwest who's ability is insane. 3/4 decks, quick mixing and his selection always demanded a reaction from the crowd. It was just so much fun watching him play.

who was that then?

Always always enjoyed DJ Storm. Great selector, great vibes. And Grooverider back in the day. Proper clangmaster, but somehow got you dancing proper nonetheless. Excellent selector in his day.

back in the early 90's people like ellis dee , grooverider , slipmat , easygroove, SS and micky finn were the inspiration for getting into djing , around 93 Ratty was the mixing don for me as i made my way to The Edge in coventry on the regular to hear him smashing pacey jungle techno sets out , loved his rapid tricks and crossfading he was quality.

As jungle progressed it was Micky Finn that was my idol i cant deny , Roast at Awol with navi, 5-0 and Moose were buy on site tape packs and then his helter Skelter sets with the dubs with his name in them etc were legendary , Jack Frosts selection in 94 at Helter Skelter and dreamscape was just ridiculous , clanging like a bastard but tunes to kill for and always brought the fiya

Ray Keith needs a mention from this golden era too without doubt hes a proper inspiration "the amen king"

these were the days when tunes were tunes none of this fucking food blender shite lol

Last edited:
you know what i have to give wayne an honourable mention in influences, the ammount of times i've told him i'm done with dnb and then we have a mix and he draws for the bangers and I realise how good this music is...

always dropping rollers... so big up wayne

dj coshh from this forum inspired me. i remember watching his youtube video mixes and i was completely blown away with his 3deck mixing. wonder what happened to him

Same actually. Still listen to some of the sets he posted up in that archive thread of his. And now he's dropped off the map :shrug:

Equinox, Loxy, Randall, Fierce, Rohan, dBridge... The DJ's DJ's basically.

- - - Updated - - -

I fucking challenge you all to find me a better DJ than Equinox though, and unless you've seen him I won't take your answers seriously.

Sam the Dnb man
Andy
Friction
Mistanoize
Nuera
Youngsta
Thanks buddy

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm this is tough. The first mixes that really got me thinking were by Randall and Hype I think. Old jungle mixes from years back.

I think it was watching videos of DJ Craze that actually got me into djing. I remember being mesmerised by his beat juggling and scratching etc.
A few Mampi Swift mixes were decent but even though I was impressed by the rate of tunes and how quick he was mixing, it still sounded like a bit of a mess.

The first time I heard an Andy C mix. That did it. Perfection.

Mish Mash, Mistanoize, Fazer & Riisu, Nuera and a few others have inspired me over the years though.

Nowadays a lot of DJs who actually headline are so disappointing. They don't look like they actually enjoy what they are doing. I'd love to be able to have the chance to play my music to 1000s of people week in week out. Actually mixing instead of using pre pitched CD's. To be honest I think pre pitched CD's are the reason why the don't seem to enjoy what they are doing, there is no challenge. It becomes robotic and stale.

Nowadays a lot of DJs who actually headline are so disappointing. They don't look like they actually enjoy what they are doing. I'd love to be able to have the chance to play my music to 1000s of people week in week out. Actually mixing instead of using pre pitched CD's. To be honest I think pre pitched CD's are the reason why the don't seem to enjoy what they are doing, there is no challenge. It becomes robotic and stale.

What people seem to have forgotten, or perhaps glossed over because the alternative is more convenient and cheaper, is that beatmatching and playing records is actually fun. All this talk about the benefits of new technology which doesn't require beatmatching allowing you to do more with FX and loops etc, there's no fun to be had from that for me.

[QUOTE I fucking challenge you all to find me a better DJ than Equinox though, and unless you've seen him I won't take your answers seriously.[/QUOTE]

Mitsubishi ?

[QUOTE I fucking challenge you all to find me a better DJ than Equinox though, and unless you've seen him I won't take your answers seriously.

Mitsubishi ?[/QUOTE]

Haven't done yokes in years mate.

I can't think of just one DJ who inspired me, it came from going to nights out mainly at Fabric. Although I remember hearing Hype's DNB Arena (the one with Disco Dodo on) and that made me fall in love with DNB.

I started on CDs but soon made the transition to vinyl because of seeing Stu (Agent Smith) play at a house party one night, watching him roll them out, so big up Stu you inspirational man

Scratch Perverts
Mr Thing
Blakey
Andy C
Fierce

- - - Updated - - -

you know what i have to give wayne an honourable mention in influences, the ammount of times i've told him i'm done with dnb and then we have a mix and he draws for the bangers and I realise how good this music is...

always dropping rollers... so big up wayne

(y)

Back
Top Bottom