Insert FX

RevTech

Butthole=output transduce
VIP Junglist
I must be missing the point here.

I just got an insert cable and realized that my EQ has an input and an output. Do I plug the tip into the the top insert on my audio interface and the sleeve into the botttom then the trs into the input or the output of my EQ? ORRr... should I use regular 1/4 trs cables and go from the output of the audio interface into the input of the EQ and the output of the EQ into an input on my audio interface?

I can take pictures if needed

This is roughly how the signal flow would work on a mixing desk

tingymeting.gif

Does that help? If it doesn't what equipment are you using + photots would probs help.

ORRr... should I use regular 1/4 trs cables and go from the output of the audio interface into the input of the EQ and the output of the EQ into an input on my audio interface?

Yep do that. Insert leads are for the insert points on mixers where the signal is sent and returned through the same TRS connector. Works by using the tip of a stereo TRS connector for a send, and the ring for a return, thats why the cable breaks out into two connections at the other end.

Yeah, I'm gonna post photos tomorrow, possibly a video

You dont need to man, you've got it right in the last bit of your first post.

Processing something already recorded/sampled:

Interface output > EQ input. EQ output > Interface input. You should be able to set up your DAW to see this as an insert setup, how to set it up varies a bit with each DAW but most of them have the capability.

If your recording/sampling something and want to process it on the way in, then you can either connect the source to the EQ, and then into the interface, or if your interface has a single "Insert" connection, then you use your "Y lead"/insert lead.

Just remember that when using the "Y leads", you have the possibility of introducing more noise, as they are unbalanced.

Last edited:
post not related to the question but...

its hard to take people seriously sometimes with all the ridiculous signatures floating around lol
i was reading the serious OP above and just started laughing when I saw the sig with the bobbing heads :P

the insert fx on my desk is just the one jack? the hell does that mean
soundcraft_compact4_mixer1-150x150.jpg

Its a stereo jack connector thats got the send wired to the tip, and the return wired to the ring (sometimes the other way round). You use a lead that splits into two seperate mono jacks at the other end, to connect to the device your inserting. Similar to an FX send and return, but just one connector used on the mixer end. Obviously unbalanced aswel.

Last edited:
They do differ slightly, an insert is something that is permantly in the signal path, so no dry/wet control (unless theres one on the device you connect), it just becomes part of the chain. Its different from sends, which are taken out of the channel and then returned back in at a later stage.

The best way to think of it, is that inserts are usualy used for processing, and sends/returns for effects, where being able to control exactly how much of the signal is processed is more important. So a EQ would be used as an insert, as you want the whole sound processed, whereas a reverb, you'd want to use a send for, so you could control how much of the signal is being affected, and how much you want to bring back into your mix.

Then you get the ones that bend that rule a bit, like parallel compression, processing used like a send effect. Or things like reverbs with wet/dry controlls, which you could use on an insert point, but still have similar controll to using a send.

No no, its 100% or nothing, like for using compressors, eq's and such. But yes, it's basically a send but with a fixed amount and no dry sound.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=37-391

You can do it with a "stereo -> 2 x mono" plug cable as well, it does (it is) exactly the same thing as "insert cable". A stereo jack - the signal goes out from the tip, goes down the other mono cable into your compressor/eq input, then it gets processed, and it goes back out from the comp/eq output via the other part of the insert cable and out the stereo jack's ring part. So essentially it's a break in the channel strip to take the signal out of the mixer and back in.

Summarum: Stereo part to the insert slot, mono parts to FX input and output. If it doesnt work, flip the mono parts around.

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

Beat me to the punch. well put.

Another thing worth saying, is that "insert cables" are always unbalanced, they generaly get used more in live applications than in the studio. If you want to keep everything balanced, then connecting your devices into the chain the old way will be better.

YES!! I got it working. I will post pictures to help some people out if anyone wants.

I connected the red cable (ring) into the output of the audio processor, and the white (tip) into the output and the insert end into the insert part of my audio interface. Turns out, you can do multiple inserts on mine so that got me tripped up. But what got me most tripped up was the fact that the TIP and the RING cables have to be inserted fully, as in the the sleeve because those cables are made like that, but if I was using balanced cables, I'd have to d the tip and all.

Back
Top Bottom