Info about E-mu interface/soundcards

Ray Sparra

I just recieved a secondhand emu 1820m soundcard, It arrived minus a cable to connect to the psu, the guy reckons you don't need one, he never used one, I was under the impression from reading a few things on the internet,that you did. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? I believe they use the same 10/10 card on the whole range, do people connect say a 12/12m to the psu or use the power straight from the pci slot, is connecting to psu peculiar to the 1820m,, Help needed,,,cheers

Okay I have the E-MU 1616 PCI. As I can see the 1820 comes with the Audiodock (called Microdock with mine) and two cards?
Mine came witrh one PCI card, put that directly in the PCI slot, then linked it up with the Microdock with the cable that comes with it.

Never had an extra card, but as I can see on the website from E-MU the 1820 comes with a E-MU Sync Card. Dunnow what that is about then.
Mine came with the same 1010 card as the whole collection from E-MU uses that card.

Downoad the manual here, it has the setup connection explained.
E-MU 1820m Manual PDF

I have 1212m which is 2 pci cards without the external box. I don't need a power cable.

I think this is supposed to be a cable that connects the pci card on the inside of the computer to the 12v power in the pc,when using a 1820. He said he was using it for midi and never had to connect it. "connect the pci to disc drive or psu"??? am at a loss to know what cable it is,, frustrating, I would imagine it's to power the pre amps in the breakoutbox,

on a sidenote, would tunes sound better purely because theyre rendered with a better interface?

good shout mate, I was just after getting a desk, and needed to find a way to get some channels from the DAW to the desk, apparently this is the best Interface below protools, 8 outputs, kama on here gave me a lot of good info, I could have went with a ada 8000 adat (behringer) , but this interface is supposed to be quite special. I havent even fitted it yet, so don't know what it's going to be like, but it has onboard DSP,and a software version of the emu sampler.to answer your question, it's not going to sound better unless I can learn to use it, but I think better results can be had, but my engineering skills are way below the gear i'm trying to use, but thats the fun of it for me, the learning, tunes wont sound better because you have better interface, but if you know how to use it they will,

makes sense, whats your take on it mate?

Last edited:
good shout mate, I was just after getting a desk, and needed to find a way to get some channels from the DAW to the desk, apparently this is the best Interface below protools, 8 outputs, kama on here gave me a lot of good info, I could have went with a ada 8000 adat (behringer) , but this interface is supposed to be quite special. I havent even fitted it yet, so don't know what it's going to be like, but it has onboard DSP,and a software version of the emu sampler.to answer your question, it's not going to sound better unless I can learn to use it, but I think better results can be had, but my engineering skills are way below the gear i'm trying to use, but thats the fun of it for me, the learning, tunes wont sound better because you have better interface, but if you know how to use it they will,

makes sense, whats your take on it mate?

I kind of missed your question about rendering there, personally (and i'm no expert, only from being tought) try to record your tune in audio, finalise it, and then "render it" it's kind of nonsense advice if you don't have a decent recorder. I don't know a lot of bods probably have pimped out G 5's , I have a pc, but I know rendering from your Daw to your hard drive at X speed is not the best, If you can record out in real time in audio to hard disc, cdr, ect, and then render in the master stage, audacity, or send off to a pro, rendering your tune as a wave file is not as good as recording as audio,,, an engineer told me that, and I believe him.

Back
Top Bottom