Increasing the Speed of the Track

IronPuddinG

Hey DnB Forums,
I had a question regarding the speed of the track. I'm not talking about the tempo, but rather the feel of it. The track I'm working on at the moment feels slow to me. I don't think it's a drum problem, as those feel pretty solid. I imitated what Pendulum did in this song (I punched a bass at the snare hit) and it helped, but it still feels slow. (The drop hits around 1:20, which is what I'm referring to.)
[video=youtube_share;hBP2gdLRksk]http://youtu.be/hBP2gdLRksk?t=1m20s[/video]
Here's the SoundCloud of what I have. I don't recommend turning your volume up too much as there is absolutely no mastering done at all.
https://soundcloud.com/ironpudding-1/dnb-7
Some help?
-IP

Dont listen to the dude above is clearly being a dick. Sounds fine dont worry is just your style. But in my opinion it sounds fast enough!

He probably listens to tunes like this anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds fast enough to me m8.
hi hats n shakers can add a feeling of "speed" to a tune. yours sounds "fast" - if you want it faster try increasing the hats/shaker rate

You can try halving the timing of any chord sequences or samples you're using

placing different cymbals, hats ect behind the beat is the way to go, on 16th, 8th and quarter notes work the best

I agree that yours already sounds fast but the kicks aren't cutting through the mix at all so the rhythm my brain picks out is predominantly off the snares. I would start by making all your bass synths sit around your drums (sonically) and giving the kicks more weight.
After the edit towards the middle you might use a different timbre of hat/shaker as I find changes to the drum kits often give a track more lift. The hats could be compressed/gated/enveloped to have a sharper transient, and as mentioned above layering in cymbals and other hats can add to the hectic-ness.

And of course there is the power of breakbeats. ;)

Back
Top Bottom