In relation to remixing

dicobraz

With all these remix competitions coming up, raised an interest! You get a pack with all the parts, but why not the notes and the chords? cos sometimes its just impossible to work them out because of the effects and the processed quality of particular sound! Well maybe its just cos my hearing isnt the greatest! However, i think it would be handy to have some notes along! How do you guys tackle reproducing the sound if you want to use different instruments? cheers!

It's not that hard to reproduce that stuff imo unless you have some jazz-type sampling or keyboard mastery in the tune. I usually just hack away at scales until I find the right one, then try to figure out the chords. Mostly I just resample though.

Brook story co... Tbh though, I don't worry about it cos its your interpretation of the track being remixed... If your remixin a non dnb tune the maybe you wana copy the melody, but if your remixin dnb then id say its less of a worry.

Also, tryin to match a melody can be quite useful for learning new tricks and improving your ability to 'hear' music better (y)

perhaps not entirely relevant for this question, but i always look for guitar or piano
tutorials if i'm remixing something commercial. can be very helpful.

if you got fl you could load it up into slicex and click on copy notes to the piano roll or something like that. comes in handy at times, isnt correct all the time tho.

yeah i just get a basic piano and sit there on the piano roll bringing the note up one at a time until it matches the key, then add a second note above the first note and raise it until the chord matches. quick and simple

also in ableton the spectrum shows the note next to the frequency, so you can easily work out what key the bassline is in just by seeing where the main peak is hitting. higher frequencies get a bit more difficult though.

Back
Top Bottom