importing accapellas into software

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
can someone shed some light on how i do this.
im using reason, iv tried exporting midi file with the accapella as mp3 and wav but no luck.

Hi EvezDroppin, what do you mean exactly by "importing acapellas"? In which format do you have them? I.e., have they been burnt in a CD, or are you recording directly?

i havent used reason in a while but i think you would have to chop them up (so you can sync it) into a rex file and put into the sampler?

or are you trying to export from reason and import into something else?

nah sorry im bein a bit vague here.
Ive downloaded the mp3 of the acapella and i want to import it into reason...

Then load it into the NN19 or the NNXT sampler.
Tbh though, you're going to be limited in features if you're loading an acapella. Best to make it a .rex file with Recycle or something and use the Dr. Rex instead.

Last edited:
Then load it into the NN19 or the NNXT sampler.
Tbh though, you're going to be limited in features if you're loading an acapella. Best to make it a .rex file with Recycle or something and use the Dr. Rex instead.

If you do decide to use Recycle to create your .rex file; then load it into the NNXT as it will give you a lot more scope for tinkering as the rex player is comparatively limited imho.

Failing that, convert the mp3 to WAV, then load it straight into the NNXT/NN19. Hope that helps.

To be brutally honest reason is the worst sequencer to do this with, that's why I moved to ableton.

Most sequencers have dedicated Audio & MIDI tracks whereas reason does not deal with Audio, so your only choice is loading into one of the samplers (NN19 or NNXT) or getting yourself recycle, which is a fair few quid, and making rex files to chop up.

Also if you want to edit the acapella wave form at all, you'll have to this process all again in a seperate audio editor.

My suggestion is using the rewire feature to a program which can sequence audio, such as Cubase or Ableton live, or if cash is a factor, then get a cheaper multi-track recording program such as Adobe Audition.

Then run all your reason MIDI data & Synths through this, and you'll have complete control over your acapellas at the same time

I've been messin around with this for awhile and almost gave up.....

so from what you guys are sayin, its very difficult to do "properly" or with good sound quality in reason?

I've got ableton but I'm baffled at the moment.....more time n effort needed I guess

I've been messin around with this for awhile and almost gave up.....

so from what you guys are sayin, its very difficult to do "properly" or with good sound quality in reason?

I've got ableton but I'm baffled at the moment.....more time n effort needed I guess

it's not a question of doing it properly, more like doing it at all.

Where in ableton you can see the audio whole track and edit each little bit, the reason samplers can only play the audio sample with next to no editing capabilities.

Check the propellerhead website for a tutorial to rewire reason into ableton, then you can have the best of both worlds

In my current setup, I chop up beats with rex player in reason, wired to an audio channel through Ableton Mixer, use the Ableton Audio channels for speech and fx audio samples. then all MIDI tracks in the ableton enviroment, either using VSTs or routing the instruments from reason.

Sounds complicated but only takes a few mins to get used to and opens up huge possibilties compared to using Reason alone

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom