I'm thinking of starting up a night...

sparkyc10

Kentish Junglist
VIP Junglist
im thinking of starting up a monthly dnb night in kent but im completely new to the whole thing. i think it could work because there is next to no dnb events in my town yet so many dnb fans. anyway, im basically just asking for absolutely any information which anyone think might be in the slightest bit useful to me whether it be advise, tips for promotion, contact details for artists, prices for some artists, ideas of who should play etc. absolutely anything would be greatly appreciated, im especially looking at you breakneck crew! (assuming you don't mind sharing your secrets!). thanks in advance to everyone who replies - sparky c :2thumbs:

I don't know if its wise to start a night without previous experience. Maybe try to get some work for other party and get some exp there.

or u will be :flame: for bad organisation and probably moneyless

shdw said:
I don't know if its wise to start a night without previous experience. Maybe try to get some work for other party and get some exp there.

or u will be :flame: for bad organisation and probably moneyless

I agree to this, so many things pop up, when you first start to do an event, that you never even realise are issues. So I think you should either recruit someone who has done this type of event before, or..........take a massive risk and maybe pull it off. Good luck to you buddy :lighter:

shdw said:
I don't know if its wise to start a night without previous experience.

i respect this comment. im aware that theres a large chance it may go wrong seeing that ive never done it before. ive just decided though its about time i did something as ive spent too long sitting about waiting for things to happen when they just dont. although i havnt directly got any experience before, im mates with someone who regularly runs nights in a town near me and ive seen the ins and outs of what he does, and my dad also runs fairly large music events (although theyre non dance music) so iv seen more than most complete newcomers would have.also, part of my dj technology course ive just completed was studying events management which included modules on things like contractual issues, promotional tools etc. so i do agree with you, its definitly risky, but i think i might be able to pull it off so im gonna have a shot. if it doesn't work i lose a few quid, but at least ive tried. ive got other people involved financially too so making a loss isn't too much of a worry. thanks for the oppinions so far :2thumbs:

I'll post more up on this after the Fort party this weekend.

But I think if you keep your overheads downs, (maybe trying a Thursday night in a bar as a first step) it's possible to do it without that much financial risk.

d.

:typing:

Well i just had my first night... Speedos were on and i was jumping for the deep end.

It was so much work and so much to organise (and pay for) on my own but i did it. Ill tell you now, just do it mate! Its sooo worth it when your there and its happening! We lost a few quid but i see it as payin that for a wicked night out!

Read SDM's review of my first nite:

SDM's Review of Rinsed 21-7-05

Advice wise id say this:

If you dont do it you'll regret it
If you want it to work that bad, it will
and remember with everything: "DONT ASK - DONT GET"

Hope thats some inspiration for ya buddy...

thanks for the replys both of you :2thumbs: much appreciated. i think a thursday nights a good idea and thats what my original plan was so saying thats been reassuring. i also agree about regretting it if i don't do it. really glad your night went well by the way, despite losing a few quid. got something to build on next time though so as long as people had a good time theyll come back again eh? looking forward to your extra info too breankeck :) thanks for the replys everyone :2thumbs:

Yep big up for the helpful, non-dismissive replies from ACTUAL PROMOTERS in this thread, makes a nice change from the 'dont bother its really difficult' school.
Of course you'll need as much experience, help and planning from friends as you can muster, but go for it man !
name it after this lickle fella :1:

The idea of help is safe and its a large financial risk to hold these things ive got friends still paying them off years later.

go with a small club night: friendly cosy vice (if it has potential then this will cater for winter) liquid or funky party d&b.

id advise you start pinning up a poster or two in kent : universitys (are a great source to tap), local bars, forums, shops etc advertising your plans simplistically: find a partner

cost less for you: more fun: better combination of ideas to throw around

get in there my son
its an awsome feeling.

- start small
- make sure u are doing it for the right reasons
- book your mates to play
- make sure your friends come
- dont let any unbooked DJs or MCs come and blag their way on
- make an effort with your promotion
- do something different to what's already out there!
- dont try and make money to start with - people like good value

all sounds simple, but i reckon stick to those things and you wont go far wrong

I can't stress the importance of good security if it's a rough area, also a dress code worked in birmingham and definitely cut down on fighting at the nights so don't be afraid to do that.

Fighting is a problem with dnb in a lot of areas so bear this in mind otherwise dnb will get a bad name with the cops

fusion said:
ez mate
where abouts in kent are you thinking of starting a night?

if you need someone to play, check my mixes: http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=18241

ez
fusion
its almost definitly going to be in maidstone but im also considering chatham as well. i checked out one of your recent mixes before and really enjoyed it. im still jealous you get all those ram dubs too! o_O what sort of rates do you charge for a 1 hour set? if youd rather talk about it this through email or on msn contact me at sparkyc10@hotmail.com thanks :beers:

ref83 said:
- start small
- make sure u are doing it for the right reasons
- book your mates to play
- make sure your friends come
- dont let any unbooked DJs or MCs come and blag their way on
- make an effort with your promotion
- do something different to what's already out there!
- dont try and make money to start with - people like good value

all sounds simple, but i reckon stick to those things and you wont go far wrong
thanks for the advice. i totally agree, especially about not trying to make too much money to start with. i expect to maybe a lose a few quid on the first one but hopefully if its cheap enough door price and enough people come and enjoy it, itl make it a lot better the next month. lets hope so eh :1:

Reactor Grits said:
I can't stress the importance of good security if it's a rough area, also a dress code worked in birmingham and definitely cut down on fighting at the nights so don't be afraid to do that.

Fighting is a problem with dnb in a lot of areas so bear this in mind otherwise dnb will get a bad name with the cops
i like the idea of dress code but would be a bit worried itd deny too many people access which would be a fairly big financial blow. the area im in isn't toooo rough, but the last few dnb nights in the most likely venue ill hold it did have a couple of fights breaking out. definitly something to think about, thanks for the advise :slayer:

what does everyone think to having a second room opened for slightly more £££ playing hip-hop? at the moment im thinking itd cost a little more for extra DJ's (although i do know a few decent hip-hop DJ's who would play for very little), so i may stand to lose more cash, and may spread out the crowed too much and make the place seem empty. however, i think it might work as there is only one other big hip-hop night in this town which is hugely popular, so should attract some of that crowed in as well. anyone have any opinnions on this? any comments on this or anything else greatly appreciated :slayer:

If you had hip-hop as like a warmup and opened up a bit earlier then wouldn't you get two different crowds equalling more people? Just a thought I don't know ANYTHING about promoting, but I thought I'd reply to say that I'd come! It's only across the river from me and with a lack of drum and bass over my side in Essex, you might be able to get a few ravers from over my way if you promoted well!

Back
Top Bottom