I'm thinking of starting a night in Pompey

azonica

Source / HQ
Hello all,

Basically i've been thinking about this for a while and i'd like to start a night in Portsmouth. Ideally i'd like to recreate the vibe that we get in Oxford at HQ, more of a 'Heads' vibe at a small venue.

At HQ artists have included Bailey, Nookie, Flight, John B, Sub Focus, Senses, Marcus Intalex, Loxy, Teebee, Breakage etc so thats the kind of thing i'd like to do

At the moment its kind of just an idea and would like some people to help me along with it, also i obviously don't want to step on other promoters toes

Any response would be great, basically from just feedback to maybe some people with the same idea and venue info and stuff.

So yeah, let me know what you think

Will - Azonica

thing is,puttin the HARDER sound out in pompey jus doesnt pull a crowd,its been tryed and it jus doesnt sell as well as like puttin zinc,baron,twisted etc on.BUT may b u will prove me wrong.good luck

p.s,no 1 could step on breaknecks shoes.they on another level.bigups to all involved n do yo thing :D

Wouldn't neccessirly be just the Harder sound, just something a bit different.

Also, wouldn't be anything like Breakneck, would like to something smaller, the club in Oxford HQ is held in holds 175-200.

:cool:

kool kool.but like marcus intalex,nookie and breakage,i dont think pompey would apprecaite it.jus my opinion though.no digs at u at all.but jus see how it goes to b fare.big ups(may b get a bloke called bad ace there);)

I'm with Bad Ace on this one, pulling in 'different' DJ's doesn't seem to do the trick in Portsmouth. I know for a fact Breakneck would love to book a bunch of the DJ's you've mentioned on a regular basis (they've done Bailey already), but the crowd down here really only go in for the big names and 'anthem-esque' tunes, it's pretty much always been this way since the VURT days (big up Rob and Russ).

Breakneck do run smaller nights in Portsmouth (Reloaded), it's on a short break at the moment while they (club owners) sort out the owners of the club. The idea of Reloaded was and is to play a different selection (Liquid, Tech etc.) than what you would usually hear at the larger scale Breakneck's.

Now you know why we travel to London a couple of times a month for Therapy and so on :teeth:

Yeh have to agree again, i think the problem is there's not enough headz - headz in pompey if you see what i mean. It would be great to do a night that focuses more on the deeper, liquid side of the scene - but as it has already said, i don't think that would work, unfortunatley its more of a party vibe down here, almost not quite as serious if you see what i mean - or not? :confused:

checkmabadself said:
Yeh have to agree again, i think the problem is there's not enough headz - headz in pompey if you see what i mean. It would be great to do a night that focuses more on the deeper, liquid side of the scene - but as it has already said, i don't think that would work, unfortunatley its more of a party vibe down here, almost not quite as serious if you see what i mean - or not? :confused:
Party people.

Which I like, always an 'up for it' crowd at Breakneck.

These boys are completely right, we ourselves considered doing the same thing.
I really don't think there is the market for it, Breakneck is easily the premier night for D'n'b on the south Coast, you've got jungle warefare , and obviously the smaller scale events, but to introduce another headlining event will be saturating the market, i have no doubts about that.

The portsmouth scene demands in my opinion, the more commerical side of the drum 'n' bass scene, and not like what you would class as events for the true 'headz', not saying that the people who involved in the event aren't true headz, but they have a grasp of the market forces that operate in the portsmouth area, as its their home town and they appreciate that, you need to get a right medium DJ wise between commerical and hard/tech/liquid to appeal to this local market.

London you've got no problems, nor Oxford, but Portsmouth as a place, and and a d'n'b scene, certainly isn't the right environment for it i don't think.

i think that it would be good to have a smaller event - i reckon if the event was good...there are easily 200 ppl that are into propa dnb in portmsouth.

i hear what y'all sayin about it being tried before...but BN audience is not generally one for a different style of DNB they like what they get so its cool...but i think that there are enough ppl into the other less commercial side of it, they just dont go raving in portsmouth anymore - because they are not really catered for

Please, please, please, come and do it in Southampton o_O

I would help, Southampton really needs a good DNB

night, There without a dobut a small collection of

HEADZ IN SOTON, WE COULD FILL A VENUE 200 - 300

Fallon said:
Please, please, please, come and do it in Southampton o_O

I would help, Southampton really needs a good DNB

night, There without a dobut a small collection of

HEADZ IN SOTON, WE COULD FILL A VENUE 200 - 300
What happened to Paradox anyway?

Something nobody seems to have mentioned is venue???????
Portsmouth is hardly spoilt for choice! In fact most dance music events are held at the pier or eq/theme....
This in my opinion is another very big problem, other than those already mentioned of course.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

The only way i think it would work, and would be a long shot!, would be to use the second room, for a slightly mellower deeper selection of Dj's or maybe just up & Comings who play this particular styles, however this would mean losing the Techno - and I don't know how much Dosh the Techno room brings in?How good would that be though, One room for the party people one room for the Headz, :mr_cool:

Hmmm food for thought I suppose.

P.S - not tyring to say that the headz and the party people can't mingle you know?? :confused:

Charge said:
Something nobody seems to have mentioned is venue???????
Portsmouth is hardly spoilt for choice! In fact most dance music events are held at the pier or eq/theme....
This in my opinion is another very big problem, other than those already mentioned of course.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

We did a party in portsdown hill fort.
My friends uncle brought it.
That was sick, underground bunker complex, tanks, gym, the full shooting match.

He was up for doing a club conversion, if it was profitable.

I don't think it would be.

Fucking banging party location though, ob could do nowt.

Portsmouth aint massive man, it would be very hard to start up another night down here.
I known a few go under.

I would still probably attend it, but Portsmouth can be a nightmare! its pretty unpredictable

there are no walk in venues and venues have to be created with great effort...ie Breakneck

lokki said:
it would be very hard to start up another night down here.
watch out for the menace monthly starting at the pier in march!
here's to d&b every week, and rinsed out, bankrupt promoters! boooooo

skope said:
watch out for the menace monthly starting at the pier in march!
here's to d&b every week, and rinsed out, bankrupt promoters! boooooo

yeah was speakin to nick (Menace).. I really wish him well, he really loves promoting. It is a shame when people like that get shit on! been trying to blag a set like the cheeky little monkey i am!

big up to the promoters massive...glad it aint me!

fuck it its only money ...right?

vos i know so many promoters i always feel guitly when i dont go to their nights......sorry bout Friday mate...haha! i heard it was good

I agree with most thats been said. but the best idea was having the other room used too. the techno is always dead and it would be a great way of starting something new. once the room fills up you branch off on to a new night?? if it doesnt work move it somewhere else? i.e. so'ton. come on we need this. happy to help :beers:

Back
Top Bottom