I'm so confused

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
So I got an early Xmas present today, a copy of cubase (all above board and legal) and all I can say is wow, I'm really confused!

Confused to the point where I don't even understand how to insert a vst instrument, or get up a piano roll lol!

I'm coming over from FL Studio, although until I understand how it works I won't decide on the switch.

Anyone else have issues when they 1st opened it?

Lol!

I've tried YouTube but really struggling to find anything helpful. Will have another look tomorrow when I have more time.

I'm still dubious if I'll make the switch as I know quite alot of tricks in FL but I've heard nothing but good things about cubase, and now I've got it, I may as well learn it before making the decision.

I didn't buy or ask for it.

My girlfriend bought it for me after a guy she works with reccommended it. I didn't have a clue about it until it arrived in the post!

I've made the switch before, I'll see if I can explain the main changes

Everything has it's own window, and you can't browse thru them with tab anymore

You don't use patterns, but midi, audio, and automation in the main window. You can drag and drop, copy and paste and fade audio and all that in there

Press f2 for the transport window, usually I hide this because I just use the play and pause on the top of the screen or space

The inspector on the left is basically a channel strip on the mixer, like in FL, click at the top part of it (the name of whatever you selected) and you can route, solo and all that in a small form, but to open it to a more full view click the e at the top right of that inspector. Notice how that e is basically always meant to open something to it's full view. You've got inserts, EQ, sends, routing all that jazz

more to come

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Ok now where we left off, as you see in the middle you have a fully functional parametric eq, click or press one of the power buttons on the bottom to activate it, you can see you have options now of the freq. and q (bandwidth) so I'm sure you can take it from there

On the left you have inserts, you can bypass them by the middle button above the insert and open effect with that e.

On the right, you have sends, which if you chose to use one, creates an effects channel that however much of the sound you want, is routed to. You can view that effects channel in the main window, and it has it's own set of controls as if it were audio, so make sure if you are doing a mixdown, that it almost duplicates the volume really.

On the way right of that window (in the inspector still) starting from the top, you see the inputs and outputs. Unless you want to record something, I'd keep the inputs at none, and if you have speakers, then I'll show you how to set that up but basically keep your output to stereo output or something like that.

Now, if you're computer is running slow from all the plugins running you can freeze an audio or vst channel to save up some cpu power. Go to the inspector and notice a hexagon like the umbrella from resident evil, and click it to freeze it.

Back to the main window, see the timeline above your tracks? You can zoom out and zoom in with it by clicking and holding and then moving it up and down. speaking of the timeline, notice any blue indicators? Well you should, press control at the start of that timeline, that's where your export and repeated play starts, now press alt at let's say bar 9. Now it will export for 8 bars, and start back at the beginning in a loop when it hits bar 9.

At the top of the window are your tools to change what your pointer does (mouse), you can switch to these with the numbers above the letters on your keyboard, the numpad does something redonkulus you don't need to know until you're a pro, if you hit the first one, 1 on the keyboard, it will change to the regular pointer, you can select with this, but click it again and it changes to a different one (which I can't explain) and then a third time and it changes to a time-stretch tool. Drag the end of audio samples to timestrech them.

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

Now there are multiple types of tracks, which would appear to the right of the inspector, the left of the main window. right click here to add a track. For now, select an audio track.

CRUCIAL Now where ever you want some audio in your project, click on the track you want the audio, and scroll to the bar you want to add it at, THEN, click file, drag down to import, then audio file, remember to check autoplay. You could also drag and drop from your folder in your PC (I think for you?)

Now, you can stretch the track's size vertically, try it, strech it far enough (with audio on the track) where you can see the waveform of the audio, and some blue boxes around it. Can't see the boxes? Zoom in, and select the audio.

The blue box on the top middle of the audio lets you decrease and increase the volume, you're in 32 bit float so you can push the volume above -0db and it won't clip. The blue half boxes on the top right and left can fade the audio. The white boxes on the bottom left and right allows you to crop the audio. Also, if you hold alt and drag the white box to the sides, you can copy and paste real quick. speaking of that, select the audio and press control c, then control v whever you want the audio. You can even paste it into other tracks, so be careful.

Look at the top right of the main window where it says bar, and to the right of that a fraction. That's your quantize setting for the main window, you stretch, drag, crop and move things based on this setting. Set the "bar" part to use quantize, then select a fraction on the right.

more to come tomrrow

So I got an early Xmas present today, a copy of cubase (all above board and legal) and all I can say is wow, I'm really confused!

Confused to the point where I don't even understand how to insert a vst instrument, or get up a piano roll lol!

I'm coming over from FL Studio, although until I understand how it works I won't decide on the switch.

Anyone else have issues when they 1st opened it?

Heres the sequence of events that happened when i dled a demo of cubase.

*Installs*
*Opens*
....O_O
*Closes*
*Opens FL Studio 8*
^_^

I haven't tried FL, but I can definitely say it's worth persisting with Cubase. It comes across as quite daunting at first, but once you get your head around the basics, it's a beast! :)
Maybe pick up a copy of Music Tech's Cubase 5 focus magazine, it's a bit expensive, but it's worth it and contains enough info in it to get you up and on your way.

not like you didn't see this coming, but...youtube?

sorry, would try and help if i wasn't on logic.

Love to help mate but im the same as this ^^

shoulda got logic! ;) :teeth: (y)

Ahh well... I've got a mate who's pretty freaking good on cubase (more tech/deep house stuff though) I can see if I can get him to do some beginners tutorials!

---------- Post added at 03:34 ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 ----------

I haven't tried FL, but I can definitely say it's worth persisting with Cubase. It comes across as quite daunting at first, but once you get your head around the basics, it's a beast! :)
Maybe pick up a copy of Music Tech's Cubase 5 focus magazine, it's a bit expensive, but it's worth it and contains enough info in it to get you up and on your way.

ALSO THIS^^^

Cant recommend the Music Tech Focus Magazines enough! and Computer Music Magazine. Subscribed to both and they NEVER fail to teach me some new things everytime I read them. Even reading them again I pick up ideas...

Same problem here Fletch, the first time I opened Cubase I was also like what the fuck?
How the fuck do I insert a VSTi.. :D Been working with it for some time now, but still prefer FL Studio.
Maybe when I finished some tracks I'll start looking more into Cubase.

But next to that I found the switch from FL to Reason pretty easy.
Had Reason for about 2 weeks and already was making fatter tunes then ever before. :D

Cubase does fry your brain if you don't know too much about it.

it has always looked like the kind of thing you would need to do a short course on to get the basics.

i guess that is where programs like Reason and FL excel in the easy to pick up GUI.

don't give up though, in the long run it will pay dividends to learn Cubase.

Back
Top Bottom