Im ordering a vinyl pressing and want to know what tunes to put on it.

jungle_fever

VIP Junglist
Easy everyone. Im going to order a short run vinyl pressing (50-100 copies) for all those tunes that didnt make it to wax and will eventually be selling at cost to whoever wants them. not looking to make a profit here, just want some tunes on vinyl. I have finally made enough money to set this all up and I was wondering if everyone could tell me what to put on.

Tunes that come to the top of my head include

Commix - Painted smile

Marcus intalex - airborne

Dub phizix - handmade

Commix - Broken man

Lenzman - More than i can take (Enei Remix)

Foreign concept - Solid state dreams

Emperor - Solar

Octane DLR - Lost in walrus (feat. jenna g)

Ivy lab - Oblique VIP

Stray - Timbre VIP

Any others i am missing?

obviously the tunes that arent freebees you will need to purchase off surus or itunes or whatever before buying the vinyl

- - - Updated - - -

and i dont want a lacquer cut cos they sound horrible

Easy everyone. Im going to order a short run vinyl pressing (50-100 copies) for all those tunes that didnt make it to wax and will eventually be selling at cost to whoever wants them. not looking to make a profit here, just want some tunes on vinyl. I have finally made enough money to set this all up and I was wondering if everyone could tell me what to put on.

Tunes that come to the top of my head include

Commix - Painted smile

Marcus intalex - airborne

Dub phizix - handmade

Commix - Broken man

Lenzman - More than i can take (Enei Remix)

Foreign concept - Solid state dreams

Emperor - Solar

Octane DLR - Lost in walrus (feat. jenna g)

Ivy lab - Oblique VIP

Stray - Timbre VIP

Any others i am missing?

obviously the tunes that arent freebees you will need to purchase off surus or itunes or whatever before buying the vinyl

- - - Updated - - -

and i dont want a lacquer cut cos they sound horrible

You dont own the copyright so please dont

Are you sureeeeeeeeeee you're not looking to make a profit here? Why would someone buy a pressing that you had done when they could just get it done themselves, if it's gonna be for the same price? Not having a pop here just wanna understand what you're trying to do?

surely you could cut them for yourself, but cutting them to make a profit by selling them aint right...

I emailed kasra years ago to see if i could cut lost hours vip to dub for myself, he said its fine if i didn't re sell it... think the convo went like that

Are you sureeeeeeeeeee you're not looking to make a profit here? Why would someone buy a pressing that you had done when they could just get it done themselves, if it's gonna be for the same price? Not having a pop here just wanna understand what you're trying to do?

minimum run is 100 records. you cant just get a one off. been quoted £415.00 for 100 so will be about £6 a record inc postage. no profit

- - - Updated - - -

The original copyright doesnt belong to you, it belongs with the label regardless of wether it was free or paid for - its still a copyrighted composition

i dont really understand copyright law in and out so i guess my plans off. dont really get why i am allowed to get a lacquer cut of a tune but as soon as you up the order to 100 people getting a pressing it becomes illegal, especially when the tune is free anyway. if someone could explain it that would be great.

- - - Updated - - -

I emailed kasra years ago to see if i could cut lost hours vip to dub for myself, he said its fine if i didn't re sell it... think the convo went like that

yea that makes sense. but why cant 100 people all chip in and get a pressing and not resell it? i probably worded it badly by saying i would sell them.

surely you could cut them for yourself, but cutting them to make a profit by selling them aint right...

what you can get a dub pressed/cut for yourself?

what you can get a dub pressed/cut for yourself?

ah i really can't remember, was about 4 years ago, but they were decent cuts, all off wav's.. i got two plates double sided for like 50 quid i think

got splash, bablyon . logisitics colours, are you ready remix and dillinja friday... actually must of cut four vinyls. but they all sound great still..

- - - Updated - - -

just found an old email, this is the website

http://www.dubstudio.co.uk/dubstudio/

Not a good idea bro. You could do it but if the original labels find out about it they could sue you and the pressing company. Also I cant believe this pressing company didn't even ask you if you owned the copyright that's not smart from them at all.

Why hasn't any record stores thought of this before? because they don't want to be sued lol

I'd love to get Grooverider - Charade cut just for home use.
Sadly i can't get my mits on the audio file.

Not sure why you would be pressing multiple copies to sell on (at cost)
Why not save yourself the aggro and just press 1 copy of each tune you want?
You can get a plate with a tune on each side done for about £20.

If you're going to do it, do it right, ask the artists permission, ask the labels who own the copyright, pay them a few hundred quid, get a really nice cut, press them up with nice artwork, and lose your fucking shirt because doing all of those things will either push your overheads to the point where you'll need to charge a tenner for the records or else you'll need to sell them at a loss.

It can be done (and it has been done) but just bootlegging a bunch of tunes (and you don't even seem to have thought about which ones to even bootleg and you are just asking random punters on dnbforum.com to help you decide what to press up!) is a move of such breathtaking wrongheadedness that you'd probably get more respect and street cred from just seeding a torrent of all the free tunes for a few months.

I'd love to get Grooverider - Charade cut just for home use.
Sadly i can't get my mits on the audio file.

Not sure why you would be pressing multiple copies to sell on (at cost)
Why not save yourself the aggro and just press 1 copy of each tune you want?
You can get a plate with a tune on each side done for about £20.

yea i have had plates done but they only sound crisp for about 10 plays then they start getting muddy and after 40 or so they are pretty much unlistenable. would much rather get a vinyl pressed and then have it for life.

- - - Updated - - -

tbh you might as well just save up and get serato if your thinking of this

truth

i've had tracks cut several years ago and they are still fine now after many plays.
personally it sounds like you have had them done on the bodge or you have way too much counterweight on your carts.

If you're going to do it, do it right, ask the artists permission, ask the labels who own the copyright, pay them a few hundred quid, get a really nice cut, press them up with nice artwork, and lose your fucking shirt because doing all of those things will either push your overheads to the point where you'll need to charge a tenner for the records or else you'll need to sell them at a loss.

It can be done (and it has been done) but just bootlegging a bunch of tunes (and you don't even seem to have thought about which ones to even bootleg and you are just asking random punters on dnbforum.com to help you decide what to press up!) is a move of such breathtaking wrongheadedness that you'd probably get more respect and street cred from just seeding a torrent of all the free tunes for a few months.

i dont quite get how it is bootlegging though if it was given out for free. i remember seeing someone do the same thing with the Boymerang - Still VIP a few years ago on breakbeat.co.uk. dunno if he went through with it but he got everyone to send money to his paypal and then just took care of it and posted it to everyone when it was ready. this is merely all i am suggesting with a few tunes that were given away for free over the years. Nothing sinister about it

- - - Updated - - -

http://forum.breakbeat.co.uk/tm.aspx?m=1969341728&mpage=1

Last edited:
It's bootlegging because while the tunes were given away for free the copyright wasn't. The producers of the tune retain the moral right to be compensated for their work; and while the individual downloads were given away to publicise other releases or to encourage more people to follow them on Soundcloud that right does not evaporate or expire at the moment it finishes downloading and ends up in your "Sick new tunes" folder.

You have the right to play that tune, you have the right to stick it in mixes and hand those mixes for free out to promoters or whatever but you don't magically acquire the rights to release the tune as is in another format, whether or not you make a profit on it.

Now it's perfectly possible that you could find a digital only release that you really really love and come to a financial arrangement with the producers and the label on which it was released and get the rights to put that tune on a limited run of vinyl - I did that exact thing a few years ago as it happens - but that's a very, very, very, very different kettle of fish altogether.

Back
Top Bottom