Im ordering a vinyl pressing and want to know what tunes to put on it.

It's bootlegging because while the tunes were given away for free the copyright wasn't. The producers of the tune retain the moral right to be compensated for their work; and while the individual downloads were given away to publicise other releases or to encourage more people to follow them on Soundcloud that right does not evaporate or expire at the moment it finishes downloading and ends up in your "Sick new tunes" folder.

You have the right to play that tune, you have the right to stick it in mixes and hand those mixes for free out to promoters or whatever but you don't magically acquire the rights to release the tune as is in another format, whether or not you make a profit on it.

Now it's perfectly possible that you could find a digital only release that you really really love and come to a financial arrangement with the producers and the label on which it was released and get the rights to put that tune on a limited run of vinyl - I did that exact thing a few years ago as it happens - but that's a very, very, very, very different kettle of fish altogether.

I really dont get why you are attacking me for this suggestion, after all this is just a suggestion. Im clearly not trying to mug off the labels or artists here. a simple "would probably be better to contact the label or artist first" would have been a sufficient way to respond without putting in sly digs about my "sick new tunes folder". besides if i just wanted it in my 'sick new tunes' folder, why would i suggest pressing it to vinyl? I barely download any tracks on their own as i simply have no need for them, hence this suggestion. just chill the fuck out and stop being a cunt.

- - - Updated - - -

Just cut what YOU want with these guys man http://www.dubstudio.co.uk/dubstudio/ they do a solid job and everything still sounds crisp plenty of plays later.

Or get Serato / Traktor.

yea will probably be easier doing it this way. im presuming the 'vinyl dubs' on here is a lacquer cut rather than an acetate? has anyone tried them from dub studio before?

Last edited:
You can cut a vinyl for yourself just fine, it would be good to ask concerned labels/producers (= copyright owners) if it's okay tho. I'm sure they won't mind, but that's a common courtesy anyways.

Now you can't just press tunes to vinyl and sell them to others. Not the tunes that have been released already (even if they're sold out), not even the tunes given away for free and especially unreleased tunes (unless they were done by someone who gave you the right to do it). That's how it works. As tyranny guy said already above, you would need to get the label's and producers' (= copyright owner's) permission to do so. And that's not easy, it would cost you a lot I guess, depending on what tunes you'd actually want to get.

say your next door neighbour has an apple tree. He normally sells these apples off. On one occasion he decides to give away some of his apples for free.

Now you can do whatever you like with your free apples. However, say you decided to make apple juice, and then sell it on to other people - the owner of the apples might be a bit aggrieved, even if you are not making any profit for yourself. it's more the principle.

thats a good as an analogy as i can come up with. theoretically the music is the copyright of the artists/label that commissioned/produced it and therefore any r further publication(such as vinyl pressings) is solely up to them.

I think getting one pressed up for your own use is fine - its no different than writing a CD out; just a different format to play the music. Its as soon as you 'distribute' the track on another format (just the same as if you put the tune on CD and sold it at 50c each, so just the cost of the disc), then you are basically taking ownership of the music, which you do not have (its of course the label/owners).

That being said, I wish a lot of those were on vinyl and I have made up a long list that I would like to get pressed up at some point (when/if I can afford it). Have looked at 'Cutting Vinyl' - they seem good and prices are reasonable for 5 different plates (so 10 tunes) at around 90 pounds

Just get them cut for yourself mate.

Disappointing some stuff ne'er makes it to vinyl but that's life unfortunately.

Oh and love the explanation in lehmans terms James good effort

say your next door neighbour has an apple tree. He normally sells these apples off. On one occasion he decides to give away some of his apples for free.

Now you can do whatever you like with your free apples. However, say you decided to make apple juice, and then sell it on to other people - the owner of the apples might be a bit aggrieved, even if you are not making any profit for yourself. it's more the principle.

thats a good as an analogy as i can come up with. theoretically the music is the copyright of the artists/label that commissioned/produced it and therefore any r further publication(such as vinyl pressings) is solely up to them.

it's not really like that. copyright law is different. if someone gives me apples for free then that's considered a gift - these apples are then mine and i can do whatever i want with them. yes, even make apple juice and sell it and make huge profit. and the guy who gave me the apples, can't tell me anything about it. except of course if we had some kind of a contract where we agreed that i can't sell them and only use them for myself - but proving somethign like this (that i made juice from HIS apples) is nearly impossible.

now the thing is, that even if a music composition is released free, the label (or anyone who owns the rights) always has a say so what anyone can do with it. for example you even can't reupload a a freebie if the original download link has expired.

Last edited:
ive used steve @ cutting vinyl/ed's vinyl many times.

great service, really sound guy too. you can have them posted to you, or go down there and watch him do it.
not sure if he's still above brixton jamm or if he's moved.

would recommend. volume needs to be upped a notch, about the same as i have to when switching between vinyl and serato.

The quality is great. The volume isn't loud on them but that's down to different mastering techniques to mass order vinyl.

Great service I always use him
ive used steve @ cutting vinyl/ed's vinyl many times.

great service, really sound guy too. you can have them posted to you, or go down there and watch him do it.
not sure if he's still above brixton jamm or if he's moved.

would recommend. volume needs to be upped a notch, about the same as i have to when switching between vinyl and serato.

out of interest which pressing did you guys go for?

Back
Top Bottom