I'm new here! Is this any good?

MilkLizard

Sup guys,

I started this yesterday. I'm not really a serious producer but I had a few bits released in my younger days as a *cough* Garage DJ. When it comes to D&B I'm probably going to sound pretty oldschool as I think I started listening to it in about 1996 and stopped around 2002 (which is when the bloody Garage bug got me!), but recently I've started getting my D&B head back on again, so apologies if this sounds waaaaay dated.

It's my first attempt at anything in a fair while, but I was wondering if I've got what it takes to maybe put out one last tune... What do you guys think?

I like alot of darker D&B and I also love my Metal, so I tried to incorporate a few elements of that in to the track... Not sure if it worked or not! Have a listen!

Cheers!

welcome.

To the point: this is good. I like it. A lot.
Tasty dark dnb. I'm so positive because i just paused a dark dnb mix to listen to it. (y)

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

for shame that we can't hear more of that last 10 seconds after the last drop, filth right there

welcome.

To the point: this is good. I like it. A lot.
Tasty dark dnb. I'm so positive because i just paused a dark dnb mix to listen to it. (y)

for shame that we can't hear more of that last 10 seconds after the last drop, filth right there

Haha, sorry for interrupting your mix! Thanks, and sorry about the lack of tunage after the drop - I didn't get much further than that because I wasn't sure if it was worth attempting to finish it or not. Following your comments and those of Logikz (thanks!) maybe I will endeavour to complete it... :)

i dont like it, coz it finishes at 1:42...come on now, u cant warm us up with those filthy sounds then let us down like that.... :P

good shit, finish it.

Needs work man, but has potential.

EQ the highs a bit tighter on the drum kit; they are clashing with the rest of the mix IMO

Id recommend you add more silence where possible, like before a drop, plenty of artists do this, will give it more impact.

And also as a tip, add some envelopes to build up the intro, it is a little boring for me and either the drop needs to come sooner or you need to make the progression smoother. Envelopes would be effective nevertheless.

I'm thinking bongos as well :)

Hehe, yeah, about the mix... Or rather lack of, at the moment(!)... It's definitely rough around the edges. This is still a work in progress. I've not paid too much attention to that at the moment, part of the reason being that my laptop is already struggling to cope with the amount of effects processing it has to do... Basically, this is a terrible, terrible computer for trying to make music on as it barely works. If I play the track back whilst I'm making it it's almost inaudible due to the amount of pops and clicks the CPU makes from having to work so hard. I have to export it, just to listen back to it! For that reason I've kind of overlook the more tweaky aspects of the track, for now. There's alot of reverb going on in there, too, which could probably come down a notch in order to tidy thigs up a bit, although I do kind of like the atmosphere that it gives. Also know what you mean about envelopes... I did fiddle with them for a bit, and they'll probably start creeping in when the track is a bit closer to being complete... But again, I've had to adopt a slightly lazy approach due to the inadequecies of my laptop!

Not criticising mate, just giving feedback, although Mixdown/EQ is the maker or breaker of a track imo so I'd get that sorted :)

I know what you mean - No point having a wicked track if it sounds like it was recorded inside a toilet bowl! I'll get around to it, I'm sure, but I'll probably leave it til last (when I have a new computer, hopefully)!

random tips for ya... Freeze function and Reverb Sends (rather than individual verbs on channels) will help allot, also on a laptop its worth streaming audio samples off an external harddrive,which means also setting your project up to Freeze channels onto an external drive, rather than the internal one, which is most likley running at a pathetic 5200rpm, ouch

Thanks so much for all the positive responses, guys. Without wanting to sound too corny, I do really appreciate the encouragement. I shall endeavour to get this finished within the next month (otherwise I'll never get it done)! Any constructive criticism is welcome (including "get some music lessons!"), so please don't hold back - I'll be taking it all on board. Cheers again!

it's just speaking the truth man. And if we hear a good tune, we encourage you to finish it/make it even better. Because there's already enough shitty music in the world. Even it out with a banger will ya?

Back
Top Bottom