I'm looking to purchase some new Cartriges

Novantadue
VIP Junglist
After messing with my old Stanton 500-ALs I've decided that I should take the money I was pooling for a new car stereo system and buy some new cartriges instead (~$200.00). The sound quality and integrity of my records is by far more important because I'm going to have my records forever, and my car.... well it will be replaced as soon as I get a real job (I want to get a proper car from Deutchland).

Anyway on to the point of the thread... What are some really good, high end DJ cartriges out there? I'm looking to get the "trackmaster type" cartrige. The ones I have in mind are the Orelfon(sp) "Nightclub" carts which are slim, black, and they have a yellow tip. A friend of a friend has these needles and they sound pretty darn clear, no distortion at all and they ballence very well w/o too much pressure on the record (and yet at the same time they don't distort... unlike my Stanton 500-ALs).

Something else I was thinking about is that back in 1992 at these rave things, the main cartrige to use was the Stanton 500-ALs which I'm using now. This is something that tells me to get rid of my 500-ALs because nearly all the records from that era that I've bought second hand sound like crap (or close to it). I'm sure that has alot to do with the fact that the DJs back then didn't care for their records well but perhaps it also has something to do with the fact that the 500-AL carts are just not very good. Plus its a guessing game, trying to figure out what position they should be in on the tone arm. If I have them set where the instructions say then I get distorted high end, if I set them in a way that makes them sound good, then theres too much weight on the needle and my records die sooner.

So I must get some 21st Century DJ cartriges soon. Any helpfull suggestions? What do you guys use (other then the 500-ALs)?

They probably messed up the tunes by having too much weight on them. Ortofons are probably your best bet I think

SHURE M44-7'S

Just bought a pair last week after my little vinyl health scare and there fucking good! Clarity wise there not the best but still crystal! Scribbling isn't a chore anymore, it jus go's on and on and on and on!!

Be sensible, be shure m44-7 :D

Alex, Which are the head shell mount types? Is that the "trackmaster" style where the cartridge attaches directly to the tone arm or is it the type where you have to screw in the cartridge to that mounting peice that has the wires exposed?

Back
Top Bottom