Im good with intrumentals but cant do lyrics

DJPancake

NEW NAME IS DJ INCLINED
so my situation is just like the title says, I'm good at instrumentals but can't even get a sentence down when it comes to musical lyrics. I'm alright at writing occasional papers for school, (just one more year of school to finish).

I definitely stepped up my producing with the track the needs vocals, so i want to have some meaningful lyrics as-well. It seems that most of the tracks I see (in all genres) have good producing and singing, but the lyrics are complete nonsense and wouldn't make any sense when pulled out of context. Especially in "Polygon" by Shock One, which is just chopped up vocals hits. In a few songs I hear some clever use of reversing the vocals.

Will post the link to my instrumental in a minute

who needs lyrics, if the instrumentals good enough it wont need them
also if you do really want lyrics just get someone else to write them?

http://soundcloud.com/user9079859/dj-inclined-instumental-needs-vocals

yeah I wasn't looking to Write those lyrics myself just get some ideas on lyric themes and how to get it going with my Intrsamentals.

The melody is simple eanough, but I just really want to get some vocals in there for the sake of change. And for the sake of not using some crapy "vocal sample pack".

Anyways, I just need some sugestions and what not.

And sry for the crazy typeing, I am on my iPod touch at the moment.

that song gives me vibes of some sort of japanese soap, like everyone turning their heads to the camera at the start of the show ''oh hai!''

haha yeah, its a bit too happy for my liking, if u have a mic and u know someone who can sing then ask them, iv recorded little snips myself before and theyve sounded good but nothing like if someone who could really sing would!

cheese_oh_cheese.jpg

As far as lyrical themes go, having listened to your tune I'd roll with some sort of love song or uplifting life lesson sort of ting.

As far as writing lyrics goes I'd advise giving it another go. I started out writing lyrics when I was 14 (I wanted to be in some metal band) and ended up writing a load of rubbish that would make even Iron Maiden feel lyrically deep. But I persevered, it's taken me a good seven years but I can now write "meaningful" lyrics which I'm happy with.

Tips for writing lyrics:
Walk before you can run, try and make individual poetic phrases/metaphors/similies before you expect to be able to create a fluid and meaningful song (it's like producing, don't expect to be producing tunes as fat as noisia the minute your cracked copy of FL has downloaded. In the same way expecting to write good lyrics is unrealistic without lots of practice).
Have a lyrics notepad and try to carry it around with you as much as is convenient (either that or write down ideas on your phone and save as draft texts, I do this a lot).
Sometimes the delivery of lyrics carries the meaning far more than poetic finese ever could (Punk as a case in point).

Above all have fun and if the results aren't good enough (allowing for you being your own worst critic) then don't post it on soundcloud.

man anyone can write lyrics, dont over think it, who gives a fuck if it makes sense or not, pretend your a rapper and make stupid rhymes, have you actually tried just writing shit down that comes to your head and rhyming it, it really doesnt take any talent

Lyrics are hard, yes. I found out that instead of just singing sentences, I would sing long sounds.
I'll do a couple of layers, like about 3 and the put effects on them. Using reverb, delay, phasers, flangers, etc to give it a nice dynamic sound.
This way it is possible to create your own melodic, euphoric sung vocal tracks that sound like 3 young girls from a church choir. :D

Back
Top Bottom