I'll help if I can....Q&A type shenanigans

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
I used to be a regular on here for several years, but I havnt had much input here for a while now due to various things...Mainly having my new daughter, moving house, building a studio...etc etc.....and the fact I tend to produce deep 140 stuff now instead of drum and bass!

However......that being said......this forum is where I learnt most of my stuff and I feel I've neglected you guys on here, and want to give something back. So if I can help you, I will. If you have any questions you'd like to ask fire away.

I notice theres a lot of new folk around here now so don't be afraid, just ask. I can mostly help out with sound design / Fx chain kinda stuff but will take on any production related questions. If theres something that's been bugging you and you havnt had any luck hit me with it.

If you'd like to hear some of my work just head over to my SC page at KRONIX

And like the title says, I'll help where I can

Oh nice! Congrats the new little human!
And thanks for the nice q&a ^^

I'm not that new around here, but I still have something I don't fully understand yet..

The basses in deep, minimalish tunes. The ones that move a bit but don't have alot of midrange.
I just don't know how to make one myself... If I use one in a project of mine its always a lowpassed bass sample.

I just don't get how to get started on it... I know it probably has some filter automation, or something like that, and a lowpass at the end. But thats the end of my knowledge...

Some examples: (if posting these examples makes the thread load slower or something, I'll delete them)

Right, I've just had a quick listen and if I had to guess Id say they have different bass sounds working off each other. Don't approach it as one entire bass. If you listen carefully you can hear the sub underneath, then small instances of another bass at different intervals. Like one note opening up with a filter here and there. It also sounds like maybe a square wave low passed and as the filter opens it also adds a small touch of resonance to it.

If I were to try and recreate one of these kinda tracks I'd start with my sub bass, get that how I want it, then layer up with a 2nd bass, square wave low passed with the filter opening and maybe some subtle pitch bend, then maybe add a 3rd bass with a saw wave doing the same kinda thing, but not all at once. less is more in these kinda tracks.

Also I'd hazard a guess and say there's more post processing and EQ movements going on too

less is more in these kinda tracks.

And that's what makes it so hard...
Yea I know that like the more midrangy bass bits are a different bass, I kinda get how I should approach those, so that's ok

I'd start with my sub bass, get that how I want it, then layer up with a 2nd bass, square wave low passed, then maybe add a 3rd bass with a saw wave doing the same kinda thing

On this, one last question: You would also cut the square and saw at sub frequencies right?

Thanks already though :D nice and quick answer!

all depends, if they are hitting the same time as the sub then yeah I'd cut out the lowest freqs. but if they come in when the sub isn't there I'd be tempted to leave a few more low freqs in them.

Back
Top Bottom