If only i had the money!

Mandy

Really feeling to start mixing!

I would have no idea how or where to start, or how much it would cost (I'll presume to start up from scratch would set me back the best part of a grand?)

I just realized the other day, when I kicked back and put on some drum and bass i was physically smiling just listening to it...And i thought hell, if i love listening to it this much how much better would it be to mix it?

So yeah, few questions for my fellow Dnb-junkies.

How easy is it to get started, and how much would it cost roughly?

Also, did mixing bring your love for Drum and Bass to a whole new level?

x

where are you at? in australia a new set of technics 1200's would cost you 1800, a mixer 500/600, and 2 monitors for like 700 each.

second hand you could snap up 2 decks and a mixer for maybe 1500

australian dollars

Alot of people are going to recomend technics 1210's, but honestly it doesnt make a diffrence... I got my decks over 2 an a half years ago an I picked them up second hand from a shop, there the Nu-Mark TT1625, an they still work fine, they have a broken tone arm but thats my fault :( Anyway you could easily get a starting nu-mark package, which wll include Decks, Mixer, Carts, and probly a set of headfones for about £300 - £350. I'll find some links for you now... But if you want to go the Technics, and decent mixer route, then you looking at the best part of a grand.

Alot of people are going to recomend technics 1210's, but honestly it doesnt make a diffrence... I got my decks over 2 an a half years ago an I picked them up second hand from a shop, there the Nu-Mark TT1625, an they still work fine, they have a broken tone arm but thats my fault :( Anyway you could easily get a starting nu-mark package, which wll include Decks, Mixer, Carts, and probly a set of headfones for about £300 - £350. I'll find some links for you now... But if you want to go the Technics, and decent mixer route, then you looking at the best part of a grand.

List of diffrent packages: http://www.htfr.com/dj-packages/

Ones I would recomend:

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR218241

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR74223

If you £500 to spend then:

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR125831

Really good startin package, my mate got these when he started had them for like3 years, worked perfectly when he got rid of them, an I think he still got like £300 for them

The thing about Technics is that if you buy secondhand, you can sell them for the same price if you decide mixing is not for you. If you buy budget decks, the resale value is instantly -50% or more.

anything will be good for starting out.

Wen buying make sure :

The mixer has a switch to play both tunes in the headphones at the same time (some people find it easier to mix inside the headphones instead of one ear in and one ear out (me :P)

For the decks make sure :

Its a Direct Drive and not belt. You will find mixing alot easier on a set of directs as the pickup is alot quicker and usually more responsive on the platter (the big circle on your deck)

make sure that the deck feels nice and firm and that it sits firm on whatever its gunna sit on (nothing worse that a wobbly deck that jumps fucking everywhere lol)

also check out the arm on the deck and see if that feels nice and solid and wen you put it on a record make sure that the stylus doesnt sit too lightly on the deck. ( nothing also worse then trying to cue up a tune and it keeps skipping to the next few beats cause its an old record).

I find that if you get these points right ull have a set of decks that will last you quite a wile.

i made the mistake of gettin a shitty pair of decks at first then finding after the first 2 months they were no good as my mixing was progressing.

Now i use a vestax pcv275 for the mixing and 2 technics 1210's mk 2's and they havn let me down for the past 4 years

It doesnt make a difference if you are willing to do it as a hbooy and in ur bedroom for the rest of ur days. If you want to do it seriously and want to DJ out, then ur better off getting 1210's as they arer industry standard.

I started on Numark TT1650's, NOTHING like 1210's

It doesnt make a difference if you are willing to do it as a hbooy and in ur bedroom for the rest of ur days. If you want to do it seriously and want to DJ out, then ur better off getting 1210's as they arer industry standard.

I started on Numark TT1650's, NOTHING like 1210's

I'm not saying dont bother with technic's as I my self will oneday get a pair, but am just sayin dont listen when people tell you there is no point getting any other decks, I've been mixing quite happilly on my decks for time, an they havent let me down, all though technics will not loose their value some people cant afford £400 for a second hand set of decks, or £800 for new ones... So I'm just giving her the option of cheaper packages that will be fine to learn on.

anything will be good for starting out.

Wen buying make sure :

The mixer has a switch to play both tunes in the headphones at the same time (some people find it easier to mix inside the headphones instead of one ear in and one ear out (me :P)

For the decks make sure :

Its a Direct Drive and not belt. You will find mixing alot easier on a set of directs as the pickup is alot quicker and usually more responsive on the platter (the big circle on your deck)

make sure that the deck feels nice and firm and that it sits firm on whatever its gunna sit on (nothing worse that a wobbly deck that jumps fucking everywhere lol)

also check out the arm on the deck and see if that feels nice and solid and wen you put it on a record make sure that the stylus doesnt sit too lightly on the deck. ( nothing also worse then trying to cue up a tune and it keeps skipping to the next few beats cause its an old record).

I find that if you get these points right ull have a set of decks that will last you quite a wile.

i made the mistake of gettin a shitty pair of decks at first then finding after the first 2 months they were no good as my mixing was progressing.

Now i use a vestax pcv275 for the mixing and 2 technics 1210's mk 2's and they havn let me down for the past 4 years

Fucking :word:

what do u mean scotty? lol fucking then a little bit of paper?

i dont understand :'(

It means word, as in I agree with what he is saying...

If you seen icons or smilies that you cant make out what it is, like that then you can hover your mouse over the top and it tells you what it is.

Back
Top Bottom