Ideas for tracks you haven't made yet.

Discussion in 'Production' started by smoothassilk, Jun 17, 2014.

1. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

Track Concepts

I have loads of ideas for tracks but pretty poor producing skills, and no willpower to sit down and actualize so I know the tracks I'm gonna make planned up to about 3 in advance. Whether I'll actually ever make them or not, I don't know, cause I'll probably have more ideas by the time I get there. My track concepts vary from the simple (my first track concept was make a bog standard neuro banger) to the really experimental.

Anyway, here are 3 ideas that I want to do after my current track gets finished:

1. Make a melodic dubstep track with two (or more) melodies in and species counterpoint between the two melodies. Probably one bass melody and one lead melody. Maybe switch the bass melody to the lead melody and vice versa. Get good chords and melodies and really focus on the melodies dancing between each other, bouncing off each other, imitating each other etc. Probably use pretty generic current dubstep sounds, but make them myself so they turn out different.

2.Make a house track based on the concept of flow, similar to some of Jimmy Edgar's work (Shout, Strike, Lock Lock Key Key etc), but taking the concept further. I want to make a slight change every bar, which accumulate to make a totally different thing every 32 bars. Have the lead slowly play lower and lower notes until it becomes a bass, then fade in a lead patch over the top of the bass patch, stuff like that. Dub delay the lead until it's unrecognizable, then put a new lead over the top.
    No fills, no 'build and drop' just a constantly evolving, growing beat. It'll probably end up being quite a long track, and in theory I could make a whole EP this way which was just one track, but I think i'll get bored of it after a while

3. Use my sample library (computer music samples, BHK, and all the free sample packs I could get my hands on) and presets to make a neuro track without having to do any sound design. I have a fair few sick bass loops and breaks that don't need any processing at all to be useful. I don't know if this will work or not, (especially as it's neuro) but it's worth a try. This is the whole reason I started the BCEE production thread.

Do your tracks have a concept?
    Even if it's just as simple an idea as 'make a standard jump-up tune that gets people dancing' or 'make a tune in the style of x producer'

Post your track concepts here.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  2. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

Re: Track Concepts

I'm working on this EP with 4 songs, working on the third right now. It's a concept one, with the theme of mental conditions, like dissociative identity disorder, pyromania, bipolarity, psychosis and severe depression. Three tracks are drum and bass, but I couldn't find them to be "x" or "y" producer style.

They are pretty long (the shortest hitting the 5 minute mark, and the longest hitting the 7 minute mark), atmospheric and I use lots of field recordings.

3. Fluff

Fluff Active Member

Some interesting ideas there. I think I get too caught up in concepts for tracks that my production skills struggle to implement. Maybe I should just try and make brainless bangers!

4. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

At the moment I'm just doing sound design and building hits so that I'm not distracted from the music itself when I start making tunes again.

I had a few concepts, mainly based around maths that I wanted to use but if start it then run out of sounds.

5. Dark Lizardro

I just hate math.

6. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

...I thought that was my thing?

7. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

For now I only have one - which gives homage to the greatest race of all: 24HR DU LE MANS and homage to GT3 Cars and Endurance racing. It will be D&B, either at 87 or (most probably) 174.

Hell, I love that sport (endurance racing i.e.) :teeth:

8. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

I want to write dnb someday without drums, just percussive bass.

It'll be weird. :teeth:

9. Dark Lizardro

you mean the theme, or the conditions? Are you a DID pyromaniac bipolar person with severe depression and psychosis? :teeth:

10. JReilly

JReilly Member

I struggle with concepts, I sit down and start working on something pre planned and end up so far away from the original idea it gets silly.

I just try to stick to one common theme through out the tune and only source sounds that are associated with the the theme. Then I just see what I come up with once I have the theme established.

I'm trying to put together a few tracks with a grafitti theme, so if anybody knows where I can get some spray can effects and stuff like that, let me know dudes.

1 luv, praise Jehovah.

11. Dark Lizardro

Freesound.org is a good source of sounds. Most of the field recordings I put into my music I got there.

Yesterday I got a awesome sample of a woman crying. It just gave me chills when I stuck it on the song I'm working.

JReilly likes this.
  12. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

Interesting that when I talk about concepts, I'm talking about musical concepts, (melody, rhythm etc) and when you guys talk about concepts, you're mostly talking about representing a real world thing (like mental disorders) in musical form.

13. JReilly

JReilly Member

Nice one mate.

14. Dark Lizardro

Well, the term "concept" can be applied to both things. But, imo, it's more well presented in the form of a music (or more) that share the same subject.

15. tv_g

tv_g Active Member

About every track I have made has started from notes I've kept in my phone or notebook. Turning through a few random pages in my book, the notes are short hand and vague. Much like the op, I don't often have the exact chord pattern or melodies in mind. Sometimes I'll have specific samples in mind.

Sparse:
    - Town Hall Rides
    - Vinyl Crackle & Sparse
    - FM Pads + Noise
    - Resonant percussion
    - LPF or Sine Waves

or an idea for a 2 companion pieces

T1 - staccato plucks make up kicks
    T2 - piano which grows sparser and more percussive

I used to be more detailed, but I've learned that it is much more fun and the results are better if I adapt to the track as it comes together. I started "T1" twice and failed to make something that lived up to the concept, but the idea is still there to eventually be achieved. :)

16. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

i always start with a simple idea, such as anger at the ex, or dutty jump up or use a reference track something like, but 100% of the time if i finish its nothing like the idea lol

production to me is an artist expression for my soul to speak so i dnt end up killing someone over there stupidity to keep me sane pretty much

i let my heart use my knowledge to make what the fuck it feels like with the resources at my disposal - very abstract and edgy i no

17. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Free sound is alright but some of the recordings are so bad. It's like they have use an iPhone mic and faced it away from the sound source

18. Dark Lizardro

I see freesound as a old book exchange store. You need to dig through lots of shit to find the right sample, which IMO is pretty fun to do.

19. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

Pads and breaks seem to inspire me the best

20. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

not gonna be weird. do a tune just out of an 808. its gonna work out and can sound proper!

edit: actually im gonna do that laters/tomorrows out of pure jokes :D