Ideal studio size?

Kaz1983

Personal/bedroom studio size studio....

See right now I'm looking as though I will be designing and building my own compact one bedroom unit, when I mean compact I mean consisting of 2 large cubes but I am deffo going to build a studio for myself as seperate room to the rest of the house/unit... thing is I'm not sure what the ideal size or diamentions are?

I've not got any hardware atm nor to I plan to buy a lot in the future, so I don't need extra space and besides 'extra' space will cost extra money and I'm on a budget.......

Thanks.. ;)

dunno really, but i suppose its all coming down to what monitors you got. if you got nearfield ones, i suppose something like 15-20 square meters should be fine if you dont want anything too fancy , big and pricey.

It's 'bigger is better' when acoustics are concerned. The more space you have, the less reflections you will get as the sound waves will die out before bouncing off too many walls.

That's good to know, didn't really fancy splashing out on treating my room for the acoustics... Just gotta make sure that when I find a new flat, I set everything up in the biggest room! :)

Cheers Kama, do you think the end (last 2/3?) of one of these (treated of course)

081009-container2.jpg

I think that is just one..... here is what two side by side look like, they cost 2,500 each (2nd floor):

sg-blocks-container-house-1.jpg

Do you think if one was to go this route 1 would be enough? Or 2 side by side be the go?

EDIT: tbh I know 2 is the go worked in somehow, just wanted to get a thumbs up before I start the designs of the rest of the house/unit...

Ohh in saying that how DEEP do you want the room to be, ideally if I was to use shipping containers?

-sorry for all the questions :)

---------- Post added at 22:27 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

One is 6m x 2.4m

Two -side by side is 6m x 4.8m

(If I can use one container, that would be great.. :/)

Last edited:
I wouldnt want to be producing in a space thats only 2.4m, even 4.8 is too cramped for my ears (really need to move!), I'd also worry about having a room made of steel, hard surfaces like metal/glass are a nightmare for reflections

Ta Kama. I need to figure out the nuts and bolts.

As for building withe steal it is just the skeleton if you like and you fully insulate it to the extent where it is more comfortable that than any house made of wood or bricks (unless it reverse brick, inside out house)

Inside-LOT-EK-MDU-Shipping-Container.jpg

It's not as if it's just a shipping container with a door, anyway steal has been used to construct buildings for a long time... it's a bit annoying when someone gives their opinion when it wasn't explained - what do you mean 'relections off the steal'?, there is no steal for them to bounce off........ just abit confusing that's all, I'm not having a go just interesting in hearing you explain what you said, is it still a probable even when insulated and cut certain panels out etc etc? :)..

Anyway I just found a guy from Gearslutz that has used one shipping container for a studio - http://www.gearslutz.com/board/phot...rojects/420045-shipping-container-studio.html - there are many photos in that thread and some and I believe myself that this is the best way to build a studio on a budget .....

You can buy a large shipping container for $2,500 :)

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

Here we go this a different studio...... it gives you an idea..

Last edited:
less dense and softer matirials will reflect sound aswell, but it diffuses them significantly each time, metal on the other hand can reflect a sound many many times before it becomes diffused enough to not resonante/interfere with the source noticbly, try making some noise in a tiled bathroom for a pretty good idea of what I mean

unfortunetly its not a case of simply putting a softer surface over it, what is more important is how much the matirial diffuses and absorbs the sound, foam and wood is not going to help unless it is the right density and placed correctly, how thats done depends on the acustic properties of shipping containers...thats as much info as I can provide

its an interesting project, I'm sure it can be done with great results! but, if you are struggling to understand why metal reflects sound diffrently to other matirials then you should probly spend lots of time understanding it before you go ahead an build, its not massivly complicated, but it is vitally important to studio design

have fun! would love to see the finished result :)

Cheers bro for the reply, something to think about..... ohh and yeah I'm very much still in the planning process..

Last edited:
u've perked my interest in this! I was planning on moving to the countryside to build a studio sumwhere nice n quiet next year, but this seems like it could be a much more economic way of doing it, and safer too as I'd have to rent a home otherwise, be a pain in the arse to put allot of time n money into it only to have the landlord deciede to end a lease! I wonder if a double container studio could be built in a way which means its 'portable'....any idea what the charges are for moving these things about?

Was thinking the same, so I sent away for a quote, will post it when I get it....... should give a rough idea...

OK transport/delivery will cost me about $150 -- I'm 30 minute drive from where they are located...

So I was priced -- $4000 for a large container -40 foot (largest avalible) or $2200 for a medium one -20 foot..........

I suppose it depends on how close you live from their location really but that said it seems it's included in the price and quite affordable.

Back
Top Bottom