Ideal Setup with Reason 4.0?

ali1212

basically im gettin a new pc, but dont want a mac.
dont really know that much about pc's etc but im lookin to spend about £1k what are the things that will help me out when making music.

Also, would like to hear peoples opinions on the best speakers to get for producing d'n'b. heard nothing but good things about the Mackie MR8s

Thanks in advance

Hard to tell you what the "best" speakers will be, depends on what sort of money you want to spend. Dont buy purely on what people tell you though, go somewhere where you can have a listen to them, the most important part is how they sound to you.

if you want to spec out a pc to 1k you might as well get a mac.... IMO.

point taken, im not sayin ill defo spend 1k but like ill go up to that if i have to if you know what i mean. But for some reason im just not into mac's?
Basically just wanted to know which parts of the computer should be good to make it better for producing music?

If you're sure you're going to use reason 4 its really not that intensive on the cpu. I'm running it sweet on on a £500 laptop (vista + 4Gig ram). You could do something similar and spend the extra on a good midi keyboard, some good monitors and an external soundcard, all of which will be my next purchases.

hmm yeah, i dont see the point in changing from reason as tbh id like to get better on it first then change at a later date. what exactly does an external sound card achieve?

hmm yeah, i dont see the point in changing from reason as tbh id like to get better on it first then change at a later date. what exactly does an external sound card achieve?

A better sound quality over standard cards, (the analogue>digital and digital>analogue converters are better because theyre designed with audio work in mind) whereas a standard computer soundcard will be designed to feed a basic pair of pc speakers/headphones. Another benefit is lower latency, which is basicly how long it takes for sound to get from the computer to you hearing it (or the other way round when recording).

They can come in all shapes and sizes, from a simple box with an output for speakers, through to big rack-mounted interfaces with large amounts of seperate input and output channels, what you get all depends on what you need to do with it.

basically im gettin a new pc, but dont want a mac.
dont really know that much about pc's etc but im lookin to spend about £1k what are the things that will help me out when making music.

Do you want a laptop or a desktop?

Cos if you're going for the laptop route, there are tons of good laptops out there. I've got an alienware laptop and it does the fuckin job to be honest, I use for more than just producing though, that's why I got this particular one.

Which brings me to another question. Is this PC gunna be for general use too, or just for production?

Back
Top Bottom