Icicle & Mefjus - Contemporary - forthcoming critical

In my opinion I think this would be a banging tune on the dancefloor. Been loving these choppy energy tunes recently, think it would work well at a rave. Have to agree it sounds nothing at all like icicle and can't think of anything that would really double drop well with it but if i heard this drop I would be skanking out, wanna hear rest of the audio for the ep now haha

I hate these "unmixable" comments

who gives a fuck

more producers need to give DJs the middle finger and do what they want

who gives a fuck

C'mon, drum & bass is a dance music after all. When it comes to the tearout stuff like this, you just want to go out to a club to hear it out on a proper system and skank to it. And who's gonna play it when you can't mix it?

blend it with a breakdown, switch straight to its intro, theres loads of ways you could still play it in a club

who gives a fuck

And alienate the last few thousand of us that still care or the last few hundred of us who actually buy the music?

Part of the beauty of dance music is stretching the structure while staying in the lines.

I think this tune is mixable, but the challenge is actually making it sound good with other tunes. I don't think I'll ever have to worry about that with this tune though. ;)

And alienate the last few thousand of us that still care or the last few hundred of us who actually buy the music?
;)

I've got loads of tunes that I'd never play out because they're impossible to mix, but I bought them because they're good tunes. Producers shouldn't be obliged to create DJ friendly tunes just so people can throw them in a mix - it's music and music music's an art-form that shouldn't be constrained by any sort of rules or boundaries.

Maybe that was a terrible post - I am in a pretty bad mood

Just occasionally get annoyed while listening to DnB that every tune has a structure, Daft Punk said that they tried to produce Get Lucky as if the Internet didnt exist, and it became arguably one of the most original tunes in the Top 40 for years and people loved it (though yes, now its overplayed to fuck, but thats the radios fault), and sometimes I think what if DnB was made without the DJ in mind? Jungle didnt have a strong tune structure and Id like to see what producers could come up with now if they said fuck it.

Am I the only one that can hear icicles influence in this? The choppiness, the snappy drums sound like they were engineered by both icicle and mefjus in my ears. And the bass sounds icicle esque. Saying that icicle has made so many different types of tunes how can you pin all this entirely on mefjus? Also mefjus opened with this on the critical boat party at outlook and oh looooord it went off

I'm with you on the subject of Icicle's variety, but can't remember any of his tunes to remind wall of sound like this. His tunes have just different flow and dynamics to this one imo.

C'mon, drum & bass is a dance music after all. When it comes to the tearout stuff like this, you just want to go out to a club to hear it out on a proper system and skank to it. And who's gonna play it when you can't mix it?

well what about stuff like walls of jericho? kind of the same style (as in goes all over the place and has a ridicolous drop) still goes proper off

also I think its very mixable, it just isn't double droppable and eople need to get off that mindset that you need to double everything (especially if its something like this)
that said i still stand by that i find the first part of a drop a bit overkill and too technical, second part goeees offf tho

Walls Of Jericho uses silence in a clever way to create an interesting groove - the use of silence in tunes in general is sadly often overlooked nowadays despite the fact it can do miracles to a tune and I admire those who are able to work with that as opposed to those trying to stratify a layer upon layer only to fill every gap and leave the tune (and you as well) without a moment to catch a breath.
The second part is related with a fact I prefer blending tunes to any kind of switching just because I find it much more interesting to create something fresh rather than just dropping tunes on their own. But that's just a matter of personal DJing preference as I've said, nothing wrong with the other ways of mixing whatsoever :)

Back
Top Bottom