I would love feedback on mixdown quality and production quality

I think it's a pretty cool tune, a bit chaotic for my taste though.. but nice work still! About mixdown, I think hats could be a bit louder and I would lower the volume of that high-endy synth/sample as well, or just eq some high-end content out of it.

which high synth? the arpeggiated one or the higher formant synth? I cant notice the loudness because Ive been listening to the track over and over so lemme know which one it is exactly!

cheers. thank for the other pointers too.

i like the drums and vocals

but those synths are too high for me

maybe try them in a lower octave

Your mixing is getting better already. Your music talents are already awesome. But yea, you still have to go along way with mixing. Do you have monitors? Are you starting all your mixes at low volumes? Do you try mixing at low volumes, mid volumes and high volumes(through the speakers). Do you try hearing your songs in multiple speaker systems(car, surround sound, cell phone, computer speakers, regular stero)?
You are very talented. Just need to work on the mix. I hope this helps.

Absolutely wicked drum rolls and fills! I 100% applaud you on that one! I think the high formant synth needs to be dropped an octave! There's a few elements that could do with some crisper EQ work, especially around the 500hz - 1khz mid range area, sounding quite muddy in there, I think it's the low octave pad / string / bass sound you got going on in the background. Throw a spectral analyzer on your formant synth, find out where its peaking then EQ those frequencies out of your pad/string sound.

Your mixing is getting better already. Your music talents are already awesome. But yea, you still have to go along way with mixing. Do you have monitors? Are you starting all your mixes at low volumes? Do you try mixing at low volumes, mid volumes and high volumes(through the speakers). Do you try hearing your songs in multiple speaker systems(car, surround sound, cell phone, computer speakers, regular stero)?
You are very talented. Just need to work on the mix. I hope this helps.

cheers on this advice - exactly what I was looking for. Although I already submitted the track, chances are I can get around to replacing it before it gets judged. In regards to my mixing, where exactly is it lacking? I understand that the high formant synth is not preferred sound wise, but in terms of volume and mix placement it does work albeit it doesn't tickle most of your guys' fancy. I do have monitors, and a nice pair of Shure headsets, but I don't notice anything wrong with my mixdown. OK I've been working on this day in and day out for the last few days, but even with fresh ears in the morning, I dont notice much different. Any specifics here would help greatly.

And Kronix, this applies to mixdown as well, just noticed the muddiness in that area. Has alot to do with my snare and that damn trance pad I made. I think I fixed it earlier but Ill check it out again tonight and get to it. Are you speaking of the one in the intro the trance arpeggiation? If you could point that one out to me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers guys, great help so far. Wish me luck!

I notice it most clearly at 2:12, on that drop. So it's something you bring ion there. The snare does sound very full, but thats a good thing. Maybe throw a spectral analyzer on the snare, see where it peaks, then carefully carve those frequencies out of the other elements? Also, pan some of the higher sounds left and right a bit, make some more mono, some with some subtle stereo seperation, these will all help find more space in a mix so each element can sit nicely in it's own space without cluttering up the spectrum.

This tune is freakin amazing =)
the breaks are a bit much at some points but that makes this track really good when you listen to it 10 times in a row haha.

Back
Top Bottom