I want to switch from grime to DnB, help yoooo!

SMALLe

2-3 months ago I decided I want to be an MC I thought I wanted to be a grime artist so cracked on with that but during the time a friend told me I should go to a local DnB venue and have a go on the mic (open mic) so I've done it twice and I've got loads of praise + my mates where really surprised and the guy that runs the place wanted me to get in touch with him and comeback every thursday. Then I uploaded a video of myself freestyling over DJ Hype Chopper to facebook and got loads of likes and some nice comments it got so much more attention than any of my grime videos ><.

This is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVj54VKS90

Then it hit me....

Everyone around Pompey loves there DnB (and Mkat) so I'd have a much better chance of being known around here if I where to become a DnB/Jungle MC, I've also got the equipment to produce it too.

So I am going to flip round and spit over DnB mainly and do grime as a sub genre instead!

I'm kinda lost though I was hoping I can get some pointers to spitting DnB because tbh I've only got minor experience, things like when do I not spit over the track, how should I write my bars for DnB (short and snappy???), good music and artists to spit over, how to produce DnB for spitting over.

2-3 months ago I decided I want to be an MC I thought I wanted to be a grime artist so cracked on with that but during the time a friend told me I should go to a local DnB venue and have a go on the mic (open mic) so I've done it twice and I've got loads of praise + my mates where really surprised and the guy that runs the place wanted me to get in touch with him and comeback every thursday. Then I uploaded a video of myself freestyling over DJ Hype Chopper to facebook and got loads of likes and some nice comments it got so much more attention than any of my grime videos ><.

This is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVj54VKS90

Then it hit me....

Everyone around Pompey loves there DnB (and Mkat) so I'd have a much better chance of being known around here if I where to become a DnB/Jungle MC, I've also got the equipment to produce it too.

So I am going to flip round and spit over DnB mainly and do grime as a sub genre instead!

I'm kinda lost though I was hoping I can get some pointers to spitting DnB because tbh I've only got minor experience, things like when do I not spit over the track, how should I write my bars for DnB (short and snappy???), good music and artists to spit over, how to produce DnB for spitting over.

On my phone and cba waiting for youtube to load, i'll listen soon.

But tbh i just recomend listening to tape packs and that just paying attention to flows. And dont have a single comment about guns or merkin' bredda's and all that shit, its old, and so easy to write about. Its like how people say all pop songs are about love, because its the easiest thing to write lyrics for. Same goes for violence and all that shit for mc's.

Basically: Intelligent lyrics and good flow.

im no mc but i listened to your thing and i think you need to slow down a bit, you'll tend to fumble your words if you try and rhyme as fast as the music, try different things like rapping half-time .. i know nothing about mcing but also sometimes it pays off to let the music breathe

On my phone and cba waiting for youtube to load, i'll listen soon.

But tbh i just recomend listening to tape packs and that just paying attention to flows. And dont have a single comment about guns or merkin' bredda's and all that shit, its old, and so easy to write about. Its like how people say all pop songs are about love, because its the easiest thing to write lyrics for. Same goes for violence and all that shit for mc's.

Basically: Intelligent lyrics and good flow.

Yeah I've got the lyrical content sorted I've always avoided talking about guns and shit like you said, I think I'm going to rewrite all my grime bars and shorten them all to 8-13 syllables for now just to be able to get on the bars quick

im no mc but i listened to your thing and i think you need to slow down a bit, you'll tend to fumble your words if you try and rhyme as fast as the music, try different things like rapping half-time .. i know nothing about mcing but also sometimes it pays off to let the music breathe

That was some golden advice mate your a legend I just tested it on Harry Shottas line

"Money maker money earner burn it down like bunsen burner"

And it sounds so much better if I pace it rather than spitting it fast.

Cheers for advice guys, hope I can squeeze more out of this forum

---------- Post added at 00:32 ---------- Previous post was at 00:24 ----------

Keep practicing mate. Also it's Shy FX's Chopper not Hype's...

Oops sorry lol I knew there was something wrong with labelling DJ Hype

Ray Keith was in the back of my head didn't know Shy Fx remixed it though I'm guessing fucking info up on that tune is blasphemy to the DnB gods

Yeah check Bassman for reference, spits like half speed. I'd just say make sure you're voice is clear, you can tell when a shit mc comes on cause you can't hear half of what he's sayin

Yeah check Bassman for reference, spits like half speed. I'd just say make sure you're voice is clear, you can tell when a shit mc comes on cause you can't hear half of what he's sayin

If you want to make a name for yourself anywhere other than Birmingham then do not do this!

I would recomend checking out MC's like GQ and SP:MC two different styles but both quality MCs

Had a listen mate.. I reckon u need to try really have a passion for dnb to get there man, u might be spittin over what the locals like but if ur passion is for grime then go with that. If u do stick with drums keep it more simple, slow down a bit, learn tracks, get to know what type of mc's dj's like on there set. At times ur out of sync with the tune. Keep at it though mate cause ur lyrics were good from what i could make out. End of the day if ur known for ur lyrical content then thats a better rep than just another 'double time mc'. Hope this helps

I'm actually fucking so happy I made this thread it's like a new passion for DnB is forming I will be honest now I literally took an approach of yeah I'll just spit really fast cause thats what Skibadee does. I've learnt that thats not the case at all and you have to stay on beat and flow just like in grime I'm going to record a new thing tonight and see if you think I've improved!

Cheers again DnB community so much better than grime you actually get support lol

I'm actually fucking so happy I made this thread it's like a new passion for DnB is forming I will be honest now I literally took an approach of yeah I'll just spit really fast cause thats what Skibadee does. I've learnt that thats not the case at all and you have to stay on beat and flow just like in grime I'm going to record a new thing tonight and see if you think I've improved!

Cheers again DnB community so much better than grime you actually get support lol

Remember Skiba's been in the game for what 15 years? You got to change and adapt to keep yourself up there and importantly you've gotta ask yourself what makes you different from everyone else.

lay your content down first. the double time speed will only come with time. spitting on a dnb set requires a good flow matched with timing. get the content mastered first, flow and timing next then the speed will just come with the sheer amount of bars you will repeat. once your audience recognizes your bars and understands you, then you can pick up the pace. this will allow you to skip some words like the pros do just to keep in time with the track.
also i wouldnt recommend spitting on vocal tracks or double drops espesially. double drops are djs time to shine

Yeah from what I can hear you just need to slow down a bit and keep in time, timing is the most important part imo.

Mate.. my best advice to you is not copy anyone. Dont listen to anyone else.... dont imitate anyone elses flows. Do your thing mate. listen to dnb.... not fucking Chopper. or some other equally as shit dnb tune.

Get yourself a little mix from the mixes section on this site... and listen to it... and just go with the flow. Do some of your old grime lyrics.. dont do them exactly... keep them in your head and figure out how they will work over dnb. I used to be an MC many moons ago... i used to chat to Garage... i then made the move over to dnb... and used quite alot of my old lyrics.. it was just a case of cutting out the words that dont need to be there.. or simply re-writing the lyrics a little bit and putting new words to replace others.

Also.... your voice. You sound like your not comfortable with it. Relax man... Have you been doing it long? maybe you just need more practice.. but your voice needs to settle a little bit. to me it sounds as though your voice is coming from the front of you mouth... if that makes sense... quite high and not much depth to it.... you need to make your voice come from your chest/throat.... sounds weird.... but without actually showing you what i mean it hard to describe.

Abover all mate... dont expect anything to happen over night.

Me and Mekar started an agency maybe 8 years ago to find the newest and best MCs in the scene. We now have 5 or 6 mcs who are probably the best up and coming MCs in the business at the moment. One of them was Rafta from Doncaster... he used to be a Hardcore MC... he made a post similar to yours on this site a couple years ago and we decided to sign him up and point him in the right direction... and now he's apart of New Breed Cru with Fatman D & Eksman blah blah blah... We are now also releasing a Hip Hop album with him, Fatman & Mekar... He's put some serious work in. You need to do the same mate if MCn is really what you want to do. Its not easy.

Rock mate you are a hero seriously that tip with coming from chest I know exactly what you mean it and made me find my flow and voice again which I was trying to re-find but couldn't! Yeah I have realised that my grime bars fit easy over DnB with a little bit off freestyle editing.

Thanks mate, legend!

EDIT: Omfg man I thought I was getting worse and worse and it turnt I really was I've been using the front of my mouth for ages trying to get the flow I use to do when i use to spit from the chest without realising! (It makes easier to breathe through the stomach too)

Last edited:
Rock mate you are a hero seriously that tip with coming from chest I know exactly what you mean it and made me find my flow and voice again which I was trying to re-find but couldn't! Yeah I have realised that my grime bars fit easy over DnB with a little bit off freestyle editing.

Thanks mate, legend!

EDIT: Omfg man I thought I was getting worse and worse and it turnt I really was I've been using the front of my mouth for ages trying to get the flow I use to do when i use to spit from the chest without realising! (It makes easier to breathe through the stomach too)

no worries mate. good luck

Back
Top Bottom