I want to start producing. What do I need to start/do you recommend on a budget?

Agent Smith

Currently Putins Koala
VIP Junglist
title says it all really.

looked already at the lowest spec Macbook Pro 13" which is going to set me back a fair whack.

I'm quite lucky in some respects I know someone with alot of knowledge and shitloads of kit to get me going production wise in his house, so having a Macbook Pro Laptop is essential for getting round to his to really start making something fresh.

But my questions are...

What do I need for home production?
Is it essential to have a monitor screen?
I have decent nearfield monitors, would you recommend anything else?
Do I need a keyboard? I have absolutely no idea where to start there seems to be a million different keyboards.

Is there anything else that is essential to getting me started?

Any helpful replies will get fair reppings.

i'm no expert in the production field but...

>What do I need for home production?

a relatively powerful computer (i'd honestly recommend a PC if you're worried about the cost, macs are good for production but no more capable than a PC and 2/3x the price)
some nice speakers
guess a midi keyboard would help
external soundcard (not vital)
everything else is pretty optional

>Is it essential to have a monitor screen?
no, but 2 screens doesn't hurt, more the merrier..oh and that'd be a pain in the arse with a mac..i don't think their laptops support dual-screen

+1 for PC's unless you want to use logic, then youre stuck with a mac.
If you go for a 13", you are gonna need another screen. Theyre great for DJing because theyre small, which is exactly the reason theyre rubbish for production. Maybe try n' get a 15" instead?

I'd rate a decent soundcard over good speakers, you say you already have monitors so keep an eye out for a soundcard by focusrite. They do a really cheap one, about £115, bargain.

As for keyboards, I would recommend one. It took me a while to get one but it really helps with finding where you want to take melodies. Grab an MAudio Oxygen 25 from gumtree or wherever for a start, it shouldnt set you back more than £40.

never be afraid to look at 2nd hand, some items are best avoided but you can save SO MUCH money from just looking out for bargains, that or get much better quality equipment.

I write on a 13 inch macbook and its fine, i do use an extra monitor for a mixer about 50% of the time though.

Other than a computer, DAW & monitors its all down to taste really. A good interface and basic midi keyboard is probably what you want though.

I've used my missus laptop for logic which cost £180. I've also used an 8 year old pc with reason without hassle. Both were ideal for learning, not sure of you need at a higher level but I can guarantee it'll be a long time before you outgrow the basic stuff

Back
Top Bottom