I wanna be a DJ :-(

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by DJ COSHH, May 1, 2007.

1. DJ COSHH

DJ COSHH Active Member

Do you ever get amazing urges just to fuck of everything, you know work and shit, girlfriend, mates whatever just so you can consistrate solely on Drum n bass and improving youself within in DnB.

Already fucked of the girlfriend and mates lol, records are definatley more important than them!!

I get this feeling, everyday, I wake up the first thing I think is ohh I can mix blady blar with blar blar, then I realise im not Andy C and I actually gotta go to work :( Then i just think about mixing all day, usually come up with a few good ideas, only being able to vent my urges when I get home. I think 90% of my thoughts concist off DnB the over 10% maybe sex lol.

I know with DnB it takes ages to get into the scene, but mate I wish it would just hurry the fuck up, I'm cheewing at the bit for a nice set.

Any one else feel there in the same boat as me?

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

I hope your missus doesn't read this forum :teeth:

You might be in for a swift kick to the nutz otherwise.

3. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

I broke into djing because my ex pissed me off.

Started playing weird shit (ghettotech) stopped then starting playing dnb when she pissed me off again (I'm an idiot).

Dnb is extremely hard to get into so I play dnb to people who normally wouldn't have any contact with it.

From what I've seen its easier to get into the business by promoting rather than djing and putting your name on the flyer that way - but money is going to be an issue if you arrange gigs that nobody turns up to. If you're promoting and playing then you'll have instant access to the artists you like so you can bother them with your ideas and maybe get to play a gig with them on some other occasion. You don't have to be the greatest technical dj in the other world... crowd control is better than perfect double dropping.

That's the experience of my friends (and myself to some degree).

I was going to try my hand with more djing and producing this year via promoting but looks like I'll have to concentrate on work, studies, house planning and the baby. Oh and the new Xbox :)

4. DJ COSHH

DJ COSHH Active Member

I like to set my sight's very very high though. :teeth:

I was hoping for perfectly crowd controlled double dropping coshh stylee lol.

5. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i get mad as hell with myself and my music when its not as good as i thought it was or when i realize i actually dont know how to make this or that sound. i can go for months without finishing a tune and it sucks ass. im out and about alot too so it can be days before im back at the house with my gear, my beautiful lovely gear.

6. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

No offense, but do you really think you have something unique to offer th escene taht one of teh big name names can't already do ?

I ain't hating the sentiment, but its a closed game cos if you're in at teh top you wanna stay there!

Try breaking into Dub Step..you might have a chance...

7. DJ COSHH

DJ COSHH Active Member

It's not about making it big, I don't wanna be worshipped, I wanna share music with people, music I love not dubstep!! I'll be happing just to play to a crowd. It's all about the music!!

8. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

You're a good technical dj, better than me at least and I've played quite a few gigs in the largest clubs here and with some major DJs and I've never heard complaints, so you're fine on that front.

Getting into dnb is much too difficult if you go the route of sending out mixtapes and chatting up promoters and djs. It may be called paying your dues but you can spend 10 years begging for a gig if you're not a producer signed to a label... You're a better dj than some producers playing in Fabric. And there are plenty of better djs (for now) that will never play in Fabric.

Too many random djs try to work their way up the snakes&ladders of dnb (mostly snakes).

I'd suggest playing gigs for your mates and their mates, i.e. parties. If you play well at a party, you'll get invited to play for free at pubs and clubs. Then you might get invited to play at clubs for $. BUT you won't be playing dnb 100%. You have to learn to play cheese and love playing cheese - not for the music but for the crowd reaction. You'll have to mix your dnb in cleverly as the crowd gets more recipient, you'll play them Purple Rain fading into Slam, Junglist blending into Runaway (the Crime Story theme) and mix the bass from Elvis' Fever into Tough At The Top. At the end of the night they'll be dancing to the Noisia remix of Voodoo People.

After succesful gigs, you'll be playing in clubs for money and meet the promoters and dnb djs you need to meet.

Or you can win a djing contest and get into dnb that way. That's what my mate did and he's a 2nd division local figure after only a year of trying.

9. DJ COSHH

DJ COSHH Active Member

Thanks mate and cheers for the advice. Life is such a Bitch!

I hope to win a contest lol, some of the recent ones have been like X-Factor for drum and bass, but all I can do is send out a CD.

I do a few things in pubs and the smaller halls etc anyway but this is usually at my loss, and the only other guy I know is pretty poor, actually plans a set to play on the night im like wtf, replies 'I don't care what they want I just play what I like and I wanna make sure it's perfect' Im thinking good night DJ'ing to urself then.

I am trying to work my way into a set locally, local promoter has said I will be hearing from him, but I dunno whether that will ever happen.

I also got a txt the other day sayin; 'im promoting up and comings are u interested, do u want a set?' I replied, saying yes of course!! But since had no reply tried ringing twice but no answer. So I leave that one.

10. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

The contest winner guy I mentioned plans his sets out completely in advance but he's going to be major league soon... He's got momentum, he's playing serious gigs (he was chosen in a vote as support for Adam F and played it) and he's on the up&up. We're promoting a gig next month, if it works out, good things good be on the way.

That said planning is not something I appreciate, you might as well record a CD and bang it in. A DJ is not a car mechanic, you're not there to perform your skills perfectly, you're there for the crowd.

That said, spontaneous technical skills are not everything...

Back to the subject - Get ready for a world of crap. I'd suggest keeping up with the gigging at a loss and play anything that's good (or bad) and mix it with dnb.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

--Hunter S. Thompson

11. DJ COSHH

DJ COSHH Active Member

I'm ready for a the crap!! Jst take it on the chin, all for the music. If it takes ten years it takes ten, but im never gonna give up or let my game slip by not practicing every night.

U gotta tell me the name of the DJ now, or at least PM it to me so I can keep an ear out. I always like a listen to newer DJ's playin' with different ideas.

I hope your promotions go well. And if u ever need a newbie dj to play, u don't have to look far :teeth:

12. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Wrong country mate :(

I'll put a couple of his sets up later. Liquid funk all the way.

13. DJ COSHH

DJ COSHH Active Member

Alrite mate, Cheers love the liquid shizzle.

14. SIRUS

SIRUS 変なひと

when i used to mix i used to have planned mixes, not a whole set but segments....

three or four tracks that work well together, then if people aren't responding i'd just move on to a different sound/selection of tracks.

as for breaking into the top bracket of dj's...pretty much impossible, except for getting in via making some well known tunes or being mates with a big promoter.

i hung up my headphones a year and a half ago.:cry: but if i get my act together with writing music... i'd definitely dust them off and have another go.

anyway, good luck COSHH, get in peoples faces and don't give up.:hagglers:

15. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

Set up a huge pirate station oustside of London. Not an easy route to take, but get that right and you'll make a name for yourself,if you live in London, forget it..you'll get merked.

16. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

17. skeez

skeez Nuke 'em all !

Most important thing - play what you like.
    don't let to control youself by the new trends.
    cheers.

18. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i agree, if i buy tickets for say, digital, then i expect to hear dubby jungly tunes, not the current top 10. this is almost always the case though, except for harder djs like dylan, raiden, noisia, who just play hard and thats that.
    only djs i ever heard play the music you came to hear is ltj, bizzy b and equinox.