DnB I titled it D Major 1, as I have no idea what to call it...

its pretty random thats for sure, very unique.not sure on the drums if im honest! structure is quite odd too. i have to give credit for originality tho!

Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to be clever with the drums; good to know it might not have worked out. As for the structure—I have problems with structure, so when in doubt I use the sonata form (which is what I used here). I guess within DnB that form is unique. :)

Anyone have thoughts on how to improve the sound, melody, or anything else?

One of my friends thinks I should get it mastered, but I'd have no idea what to do with it after that...

Ahh friends... They will tell shit is gold to make you happy. Non-friends... we will tell you the truth.

The melody is unique and interesting. I think you are on to something with it. Your drums suck. I once read some where on this forum, for which I will paraphrase, "You must get good original drum samples because no matter how hard you try you can not polish a turd." Also your synthesis could use improvement. One of the key factors in synthesis, believe it or not, is imperfection. Detuning, pitch modulation, lfo movements, filtering, and imprecise note placements all help the song sound more natural.

Thanks heaps IV4, that was very helpful. I was using BHK samples for the drums; I've since switched out all the drums (including the drum break playing over everything) with stuff from the June Miller pack.

I also tried to add some LFOs and MOD-wheel automations to the bass and synth voices, though admittedly I should probably study synthesis more in general.

Here's the improved version:

Of course, I'm happy to return a critique for anyone who posts in this thread. :)

I must start this saying that I AM NOT a DnB expert. But, one thing buggering me about this song is: why is there a 4-on-the-floor type of beat in the entire song? I mean, what differentiates DnB from house or trance, is the syncopation of the drums (besides the tempo, etc), right? Anyways, this was the most akward part for me, as I was ready to listen to some tum----psh----tum--psh kinda of beat, not a tum-tum-tum-tum kind of one. Beat appart, I really liked the melody of the track, man! good work there!

Back
Top Bottom