I think that I have some kind of complex and it annoys me

PreDistor

HPCL
I know that now-days LOTS of producers both unsigned and famous & signed by major labels are using samples. I know that as-well that the creativity comes from how you put the breaks together etc ... but for some reason this feeling is KILLING ME when I know that I was using sample, someone elses "work" in my track.
For example I found some SICK liquid drum and bass loops and I fucking love them but it fucking gives me this feeling that "This isn't mine, I shouldn't use it... even fucking though it fits in here perfectly!" - so I'm getting mixed emotions about it. Then again I find that unless you would prefer to fit every frequency together to make a kickdrum or hi-hat etc it should be fine using samples...
What are your thoughts about using samples in your tracks? Do you think it's okay to do so because most of the artist are doing so OR should every artist produce his own track, from total blank sheet?

Last edited:
Hi,

It's fine to use samples, since that's what I could say pretty sure almost every producer does. There's this line tho, if you use only samples and create your track from there, there isn't any of your "work" there and it's like a preview track for some samplepack. But then there are presets for synths, you can use them or adjust slightly and play them, there isn't copying, since you are just playing a synth. I do my own samples by layering/synthesizing, but sometimes I can say I have taken some sound for the background from a pack, like a backup pad or something. I don't see anything wrong in any of that as long as your tracks aren't samplepack previews. I'ts quite a mixed bag, I guess the line has been made in everyone's head a bit differently. There's just my thoughts if any of use really.

I'm feeling you. Actually I like to do everything by myself, pads and leads etc by modifying sound etc in VSTs but I love drum loops that come with those packs since they are "FUCK, this is exactly what I wanted to create by myself!" and I really wanna use them and that's what gives me this feeling, using someone elses created drum loops. I don't even bother to listening pads and other things that comes with those samplepacks :P

I'm feeling you. Actually I like to do everything by myself, pads and leads etc by modifying sound etc in VSTs but I love drum loops that come with those packs since they are "FUCK, this is exactly what I wanted to create by myself!" and I really wanna use them and that's what gives me this feeling, using someone elses created drum loops. I don't even bother to listening pads and other things that comes with those samplepacks :P

Yes, the drum loop part.............Those hit the spot, but still i try to do my own drums, maybe someday they'll sound so snappy and crispy as in the pack:D

Yes, the drum loop part.............Those hit the spot, but still i try to do my own drums, maybe someday they'll sound so snappy and crispy as in the pack:D

This is good. I think more people should do this. I'd like to get the stage where I make my own sample packs, instead of using others.

its not about the tools its about the final product!

ChickaChickaYeah.gif

THIS! :drums:
Thanks!

It's not about the end result, not really. Unless you're a shallow, attention seeking pop culture sellout. For most of us, its about passion and dedication and love for creating music. If someone is making their own hand-made loops and it sucks, at least it sucks in its own special, unique way.

There isn't a single person out there producing stuff that sounds like mine, which is something I'm proud of. So what if it's unlistenable shit. It's still my shit, and I'm content in knowing that I got that far, when producers using sample packs weren't even able to create a shit of their own.

Van Gogh only sold one painting during his life, and was at the time considered a total failure. Artistic success is not measured by sales and popular opinion. It's measured by the amount of yourself which you put into your work. Whether the world notices or not is irrelevant.

So basically you just waited to get the answer you wanted, right?

I needed good statement that helps me to get over this "thing" or "feeling" and "its not about the tools its about the final product" was exactly what I needed. It's all about the final product!

Oh man, innovine, great post. And when your shit is shit, you improve it, so t becomes less shit, and it's yours. The learning curve is infinite, like my dick. repped

I needed good statement that helps me to get over this "thing" or "feeling" and "its not about the tools its about the final product" was exactly what I needed. It's all about the final product!

So you just had a moral issue and needed someone to say it's okay to use samples straight up- fair enough.

Oh man, innovine, great post. And when your shit is shit, you improve it, so t becomes less shit, and it's yours. The learning curve is infinite, like my dick. repped

So you just had a moral issue and needed someone to say it's okay to use samples straight up- fair enough.

Yes exactly, I had a moral issue because it seemed a little bit wrong to use loop samples but after getting some feedback I think it's fine. It is still morally wrong a little bit but since so many people (even big names in business) are doing it, then I assume it's not so bad. It's all about the arrangement (putting different pieces together - taking the loops and fitting it into your own melodies etc). I still tho try to make my own loops and learn :).

Last edited:
Amen break - used in one or two tunes i think.

its dance music - youre almost expected to make use of samples.
If your tune sounds like a soundpack - well so what ? It sounds like a soundpack - if you dont want that sound - change them so they dont. or dont use them.
its up to you - if you cant live with using a sample then dont. aint no rules really
if you like the soundpack sound then go for it - some people might say it sounds shit - who cares? its your music do what the hell you like.

Back
Top Bottom