i think its time for another production competition

moriaty

VIP Junglist
as you may or may not know we run a production competition last year, and just like most such events, people were given a sample pack and asked to make a tune with only those sounds.
to be honest, that competition didnt got many submissions, but over this year this place seems to have picked up, and we have many regulars who seem serious about music making, plus loads of eager lurkers and newcomers. i feel its the right time to start a new comp, and if it gets more interest, make this a regular event.
i have already began compiling a pack which includes wavs and synth presets, and im currently looking for the best freeware synth to include in the pack.
feel free to comment on all aspects for this event. suggestions about dates and time allowance, how the judgement should take place, the given sounds, allowed styles, everything really. this is completely open to any ideas. i also need to see some interest from people who are committed to submitting a tune made for this competition. i mean, if one is making music anyway, it shouldnt be a problem coming up with a commission.
so yeah, i feel positive about this is. what say you?

You can only try. I had a go last time, and I'd have a look again.
I reckon it's a great idea. whether it works or not.....?

nice one guys. hope more will join. (y)

You can only try. I had a go last time, and I'd have a look again.
I reckon it's a great idea. whether it works or not.....?

ye, i realise there were some issues with the sample pack last time, as it consisted of very basic sounds. and whilst that did make for the amazing logikz tune, i reckon it needed more work, or that it suited a certain way of working. this time i'll endure to make it more fun, and more flexible in terms of how can people manipulate the sounds. hopefully that will mena that more people will make something out of the sounds.i also got a few more things in mind, but i need to chat with some of the big wigs first..!

i think any genres should be accepted.. will make it more interesting
just a suggestion anyway! (y)

sounds like a great idea man, i had a go last year but didnt submit cos my attempt was ridiculously gash. feel like iv progressed enough now to let people hear a track without total embarassment. only thing that concerns me is this freeware synth stuff cos im a reason user so vsts are a no for me? aside from that u got my support, let me kno if u need anything

sounds like a great idea man, i had a go last year but didnt submit cos my attempt was ridiculously gash. feel like iv progressed enough now to let people hear a track without total embarassment. only thing that concerns me is this freeware synth stuff cos im a reason user so vsts are a no for me? aside from that u got my support, let me kno if u need anything
glad you feel more confident man, looking forward to hearing your stuff. and you should never feel ashamed of something you worked hard for. you make a very good point about reason. perhaps the patch could be a multisample bank that you could play on nnxt or sumthin. ?

yes, that definitely a consideration. perhaps there could be separate categories for each genre and then an overall winner.

I seriously doubt if there will be enough tunes for separate categories. Maybe in luck there will be enough for 2 categories, dnb and all else :D

I'd be willing to give this a try too, cant promise a tune out of it since it's so much a matter of inspiration for me but if that counts for anything, i'm in.

i'm deffinatly up for this. i would prefer it if we would accept entries that arn't strictly dnb as i'm usually more creative when i make the tune as i progress

He'll yeah..... Where do I sign up?????

*walking around with pen in hand*

:D(y)

Im in if you include hip hop in the genre's :)
absolutely man, anything goes (y)

I seriously doubt if there will be enough tunes for separate categories. Maybe in luck there will be enough for 2 categories, dnb and all else :D

I'd be willing to give this a try too, cant promise a tune out of it since it's so much a matter of inspiration for me but if that counts for anything, i'm in.

very true, i too was thinking something along the lines of dnb and all else, or perhaps dancefloor tunes and other. but yeah, it all depends on how many entries we get. and let me be clear about it once again: i will need to see people dedicated for this one. i will want each entrant's email and i will pester them until they deliver.!. i dont wanna have the two horse race fiasco of the last comp..
i do get what you're saying about creativity etc, but at the same time i believe it is important to be able to work on commission and to a deadline.

I'd possibly like a go at this for a bit of fun, but never really looked into these production comps before.

As someone has stated about the Reason users, do we get a nice bundle of WAV's ?

But yeah would be cool if its an open genre comp, gives more room for creativeness etc.

I will hover over this thread this till something is more concrete, could be good fun (y)

do stick around man. its only been few hours and plenty are showing interest. obviously that is hardly signs of commitment, but at the same time this is barely an idea at the minute.
for the minute im just hearing what folks are saying, and i'll come up with some sort of structure accordingly.
btw, what happened with that tune you were asking for? you're still after it for the podcast ?

Dont worry, lets say we need at least 5 entries to declare a winner right.

So if there's only 4 entrances, the comp is canceled or somin'...?

yeah, i mean i dont want to talk cold numbers, but the more the better. plus i want to set some sort of prize too. probably a cool but cheap sample pack, like goldbaby. that should set a motive for the lazier ones :D

Back
Top Bottom