I think I'm done

Discussion in 'Production' started by Mr Fletch, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Writers block seems to be a permanent fixture now......I've tried all the usual remedies but this time it feels different. I find myself trying to create something and getting stuck at the 4 or 8 bar loop mark every single time, either that or it all sounds the same.....shit!

It's got to the point where I'm not enjoying it, which is the whole reason I began producing, the enjoyment of it! I've tried different genre's, different instruments and bpm's, I've tried not touching ableton for a while, listening to other stuff for inspiration etc. When I do try something, I'm instantly negative and think it's going to shit, which is when it usually does!

So I think this is it for me, I think it's time to give up producing for the forseeable future. I just wanted to come here and wish all of you the best of luck with your future productions, and hope you all keep churning out the bangers! I may pop back from time to time and lurch in the background, but right now I need to take myself away from it all.

So I guess this is goodbye for now..........

2. Nydus

Nydus All in the sig.

Shit, what will be your new hobby?

3. PreDistor

PreDistor HPCL

4. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

Sad to hear man, hope you get your spark back sometime soon! You've posted some cool tunes here as I recall.

Good luck in the future!

5. Nydus

Nydus All in the sig.

I actually just had a listen to your tracks, you should keep it up mate. I think you just need to hang in there a little longer.

6. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

don't quit, just take a vacation. i took 4 years off but am loving it now way more than ever.

7. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Mr. Fletch, you've got too much talent to throw away.

Rather than trying to create tunes at the moment, why not create 8/16 bar riffs, loops, hooks, etc.–Like your own personal sample pack.

That way you don't have to stress over completing a tune...you can think of it as building up a library of shit for you to use later...or sell. Or, go back through those partial tunes and bounce out the stronger parts.

Of course a short hiatus can always be a breath of fresh air...

Just don't quit for good man...I still crank "Biggest Wish" on the regular. :)

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  8. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

make music for adverts...short clips of about a min or 2. go on animation forums and offer to do music for peoples vids. u just got monitors fletch! only way is to keep pushing!

9. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

take a break mate,

"getting away from it all" for a bit should give you a fresh perspective on your music

10. modern

modern Member

There is your main problem. Don't make music on how you think it should sound; just do what you like! Don't give up on what you love. Inspiration is everywhere, you just gotta grasp it I guess. Sometimes it's hard to make music when you're emotionally drained, because music is mainly emotion; whether it be neurofunk, it could be about energy etc. It doesn't matter. Maybe take a break, go out, have fun with your missus. Don't even think about it, and when that melody pops into your head, run to your damn computer and start making a tune

11. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

dude fletch i know exactly what you mean. ive basically quit too. mmm here are a few suggestions:

the prodcution forum compo
    collaborations
    producing a new music style
    recreating a song you like

but yeah, ive pretty much quit making music other than these four things, specially my group projects, they are really all ive got going, but it really does keep me going

12. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

i think a lot of us have felt the same way as you do at some time or another.to some degree
    try not to let negative thoughts get to you man.
    i reckon you should make that tune that you think is bad. just go for it - make the worst track you can - really get into making it soo bad from start to end.
    and actually finish the whole thing. but dont give one fuck about how it will sound to anyone - make this just for you - super bad.
    by the time youve finished it you'll realise it werent that bad and you'll have got over that hurdle of finishing a tune.
    meh im rambling now.
    end of the day i think you enjoy making tunes and you are beating yourself up when a tune doesnt sound like a banger from the start (which i do all the time).
    i think all tunes start off shit -.
    ramble over.
    dont give up m8 you have a big talent

13. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

The worst part is when you start thinking "It'll sound shit anyway." I have many activities in my daw, I make samples for my own library, make templates for different elements and their easy layering, ready effect chains, presets for plugins, fuck there's so much different things to do, sometimes I just get fucking frustrated when listening a kickdrum for 20 minutes just trying to layer it, then I decide fuckit and open some other project. Make your producing more efficient. Guess what, even if you quit now and even if it takes years, you'll be back.

14. SafeandSound

SafeandSound Mastering Engineer

Try learning to play an instrument, a guitar ? A break can be exactly whats needed. I would see it more of a diversion on the path. I gave up music about 12 year back when I started working full time as a professional engineer, could not face it when I got home. Now I have just put a machine together and the first thing I thought when I put something together was... hmm limited and similar to what I was doing.The last 6 months I have been focusing on guitar soloing, I played a bit of guitar before and I am very invigorated and having a lot of fun. It's odd isn't it when it gets serious or you want it to be serious it can stop the tap running.

http://www.musicthinktank.com/blog/cures-for-writers-block.html

check it out and all the best wherever the journey takes you, twists and turns are part of it. (every aspect of life in fact)

SafeandSound Mastering
    Online mastering services

15. Skuff

Skuff Well-Known Member

Have you tried switching between DAWs? I've started doing that lately and it works a treat.. (seems to keep things fresh) I used to use Reason, then about 6 weeks ago switched to Ableton, now I find myself fluttering between the 2 for different sounds etc, which is keeping me flowing..

Or make some jump up.. 32 bars of randomness, bringing in a random movie sample in at around 30, 64 bars of bass that has nothing to do with the intro, remembering to bring the intro synth sound back in after every 24 bars, rinse and repeat.. Sorted, writers block gone :pat:

jimjimjim likes this.
  16. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

if you ain't enjoying it mate then its actually a fair shout, no point sticking at it if you are forcing it upon yourself

On the other hand, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't give up dude! :(

I'm not really sure what to suggest if you have tried the usual but I think a lengthy amount of time could help? Or dude COMPLETELY switch it up. Perhaps try building tracks by sampling, and maybe not even making strictly electronic dance music. I am talking like Fatboy Slim style stuff, get some guitars and other sampling going to create some tunes :)

Anyways mate, I hope you manage to get you 'mojo' back! I am sure you will :)

17. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Hang in there Mr Fletch, at the end you will prevail :)

18. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

I've noticed from your tracks Fletch that you like to be original as possible so maybe just change up your work routine completely? Break all the rules you once worked by and just use a clean break straight up, get some bass samples into a sampler, use some loops straight outta the pack (Zomboy) and then just keep the workflow up rather than just work on small loops.

19. Krispy

Krispy Member

Why don't you try to produce a song in 20 hours and see what happens?
    Time limit guillotine

20. horace111

horace111 My name is Jago (HYQXYZ)

Awww man , I really , really enjoyed the work you were doing. But if you don't have fun doing it anymore then I agree you should take a break. Just make sure you get back to producing sometime in the future, talent shouldn't be wasted (;