i think i need the 'think' break

jungle_farmer

hi, newbie here, I use renoise to make early 90s style jungle/rave and i've lost my samples and one of my fave breaks was (i'm not totally sure) called the 'think' breaks, but there's like 4 of them.

anyone got em? they have mad shoutin in them!! :shabba:
thanks dudes
:scally:

Check the Breaks Xchange thread at the top of the Production forum, probably in there as Affliction put practically the A to Z of breaks in it (y)

Hi!
I'm searching a special version of the Think Break 3. That special one heard in a lot of the 90's Jungle tunes with a bass sound layered on the kick. Does anybody know where i can get this version?
Thanks in advance.

this is going to sound weird but much of the jungle sound comes from a specific sample CD, if you trace certain breaks or samples or hits back to their absolute origin it is quite often from this sample CD called jungle warfare so if you cant find it on any natural sources, and it is from that era, its worth a look.

Thanks. Do you mean Zero-G's Jungle Warfare? I've got all three volumes, but didn't find that special kind of think break on them. But i'll have a listen again. Maybe i've overseen that one. Thanks again.

Why is it called the 'think break'?
I always called it bad sister break, i even made a drum sample based on the break and called it 'my sister ain't a bad sister'

Because the song, from which that break was sampled, has the title "Think (About It!)" and was interpreted/written by Lyn Collins and was produced by James Brown.

Last edited:
this is going to sound weird but much of the jungle sound comes from a specific sample CD, if you trace certain breaks or samples or hits back to their absolute origin it is quite often from this sample CD called jungle warfare so if you cant find it on any natural sources, and it is from that era, its worth a look.

My first time hearing about this CD actually; will absolutely try eBay the bad boy. To the OP there's also the Jungle Sample Pack (it's about 350+ MBs in size) with samples (supposedly) ranging from 1992 to 2001 or something like that. I have it in fact, as well as the link. If you're interested I'll try scouring my bookmarks to find the link.

Not sure if the "Think" break is in there but there are other popular Jungle breaks in that pack I assure you.

Thanks. Do you mean Zero-G's Jungle Warfare? I've got all three volumes, but didn't find that special kind of think break on them. But i'll have a listen again. Maybe i've overseen that one. Thanks again.
It could just as well be sampled from a tune that layered it with either another breakbeat or just an 808 bassdrum (a lot of breaks was sampled from hip hop records instead of the original sources). In the latter case you might be able to recreate it yourself by just layering an 808 bassdrum under the break and run it through a bus with some "analog" plugins that can give you that "I just run this shit red through my desk/old analog compressor" sound). Would probably be best to do that at the original speed, and then pitch up to tempo afterwards (which is most likely to replicate the sound you want, if the original source was a hip hop record).

Funnily enough, even I am using it right now. One question though, would you keep it in key with the rest of the track due to the vocal? Or just go with the flow?

Funnily enough, even I am using it right now. One question though, would you keep it in key with the rest of the track due to the vocal? Or just go with the flow?

Defs go with the flow

One thing I find with the Think is that the reverb on the kick and snare really stand out in any track you use it on. If its tuned too low it can have a weird, wooden sound, and if its pitched too high, you get a weird, mid frequency resonance of the snare.

What I did (in ableton, if that applies at all to you) is took the raw break, then re-pitched it just so that it sounded natural. Then, use complex mode when I warped the loop, that way, when you cut it up and arrange the beat, it retains whichever tone you pitched it too.

I used to pitch every break in the same key of my tune. Then i was too lazy and gave a shit and just used the breaks that fit from the beginning. I think most of the breaks don't really contain a lot of harmonic sounds, also the vocal of the think break seems to have minimal harmonics in it.
If it's possible to pitch it to right key without losing the body of the break than you are always on the safe side

Back
Top Bottom