I still use vinyl!

I don't begrude people who use traktor or serato because it's still true to the craft. There's still vinyl spinning on a platter. CDJ's, Whilst I have and use one just doesn't feel like DJing at all. you don't see anything moving except lights, it's like a games console.

So DJing is all about watching vinyl spin on a platter? To me, DJing is much more about matching tracks both beat-wise and melody-wise to create a nice & entertaining mix - But oh well, each to his own. :rolleyes:

So DJing is all about watching vinyl spin on a platter? To me, DJing is much more about matching tracks both beat-wise and melody-wise to create a nice & entertaining mix - But oh well, each to his own. :rolleyes:

You're right I suppose. I think a lot of the arguement is the fact that like it or not, vinyl is dying out. People don't like the quikc fix solution, which is why people are annoying by traktor etc as it's so easy to use. I've heard my DJ's smash it on CDJ's.

I just think that when you move forward digitally it's important not to lose sight of the roots.

oooooooo Moskit gunning for another trademark 'sig post'

Not at all.

I see the ethics & historical arguement behind it, fully.

As stated, I was a vinyl purist, for many, many years.

I now combinate the two when playing d&b as I get sent so much on MP3.

I have no problem with people playing strictly vinyl, more power to them in fact, just hate types that slate CDJ's & DJ's that use them as almost "lower class" DJ's...

You're not better than me 'cus you have more money.

I LOVE THE WAY PEOPLE GET ALL SNOBBY ABOUT VINYL. YOU'VE GOT TO BE A RIGHT PLUM TO GET ALL ANTSY ABOUT THE FORMAT A MIX WAS DONE IN.

I DO MIXES WITH ABLETON NOW AFTER OVER 15 YEARS OF HAVING TURNTABLES.

THE FINISHED MIX IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO ME, AND I'M NOT SHALLOW/STUPID ENOUGH TO THINK I'D BE DOING ANYTHING BETTER BY USING VINYL.

VINYL IS THE EASIEST FORMAT TO USE AND PROBABLY THE MOST FUN, BUT ABLETON OPENS UP DIFFERENT AVENUES FOR ME TO TAKE A MIX. IT'S LIKE ARRANGING A SONG AND I CAN SAMPLE ANY LITTLE THING I WANT AND TO MAKE THE MIX UNIQUE.

I DON'T SEE IT AS INFERIOR TO MIXING VINYL, JUST DIFFERENT.

I have have no problem with people wanting to move forward with new technology but don't sacrifice quality in doing that. If you are gonna go the digital route, pay the extra buck and buy the wav file. There is a big difference in sound quality even between a 320 and vinyl--mix the two together and you'll see. I would not compromise the overall quality of my medium because there are new gadgets on the market or to save a few bucks. For me, it really comes down to this: do you just want to be a dj or do you love the music you play and want to present it to people in the best possible way you can.

The only thing I can really compare it to is going to see a rock band, and realising halfway through watching them that they're all miming to a recorded track.

I agree with you to an extent, the music is part of the art. The medium in which it is presented to us is another part. And I didn't say it suppresses the actual art of music, I said it suppressed the idea of art in the sense that that idea of mixing and a DJ's talent is 'cheapened' by the use of digital technology. BPM counters, digital displays showing you the precicise layout of the tune soundwave for soundwave. Once you add all these visual aids into the equation it becomes so much easier.

I guess at the end of the day it's what you prefer to go see. Safety1, for you it may all be about the music that's being played. For me, the showmanship behind the music being played is a massive part of it, and vinyl DJs have that showmansip. It's how it started, it's the one oldshcool format that continues to stand the test of time. When someone thinks the word "DJ" they see a geezer slamming a slab of wax onto a revolving turntable. At the end of the day, if live performances are simply just about the music being played, then why bother with a DJ at all? Why not just get a sick play list on i tunes and set up a laptop all night?♦

I am talking specifically about live performances in the context of this debate. In your bedroom I couldn't really give a tupenny what you use.

As far as I am aware the Technic 1210 is the industry standard. Haven't ever seen any of thise digital display turntables you speak of in any clubs mate. Again, if you're talking about bedroom DJs then by all means, whatever you wanna do.

I'm sorry but what the fuck is all this. The only thing that springs to mind is that you can kinda compare your arguement to say typewriters over a computer. Extremely dated view and to be honest I think people who don't move on with technology and don't like change will be the demise of you. Thats only my opinion but when you say riduculous things like CDJs are just easier I say good luck to ya!

Get with the times and just accept CDJs are the only way forward, like computers are to typerwriters. How many more Pros are there to vinyl, CDJs outweigh them by a tonne.

Its a no brainer to me. Threads on this topic should be locked imo.

I think any good DJ would incorperate both of these elements into their sets. At the moment i use 100% vinyl. Thats because i grew up in the vinyl era. But now as times gone on iv realised i need a CDJ to add the third element.

When you weight the pros and cons of vinly vs. CD it would seem that CDs win. Cheaper to buy on digital. No needle that eventually will need to be expensively replaced. No need to dust CDs. No warped CDs. Smaller/lighter for toating around. Am I forgetting anything? It seems like you can save yourself a lot of heartache if you stick to CDs. Having said all that I guess I'm just a hard-headed dumbass becuase all I use is vinyl!

I think any good DJ would incorperate both of these elements into their sets. At the moment i use 100% vinyl. Thats because i grew up in the vinyl era. But now as times gone on iv realised i need a CDJ to add the third element.

I do want to upgrade to a 4 channel mixer and get a third turntable and a CDJ. Eventually.

Cd decks are shit
Even the 1000mk3s feel like toys

All djs should use vinyl and or serato ... anything off the technics is just bait imo

:welcome:

2h8722t.jpg

Back
Top Bottom