I still use vinyl!

I absolutely love my vinyl, but cutting dubs of our stuff and stuff that gets sent to us, can be expensive (12" dub = £35-40 compared to 7 CD's = £1). So I tend to use both CD's and vinyl.

S'all down to personal prefernce... I love using vinyl but as Safety said its bloody expensive especially when you have rent/morgage to pay, bills, etc... That's why I will be investing in serto or 2 cdj's soon.

When someone thinks the word "DJ" they see a geezer slamming a slab of wax onto a revolving turntable. At the end of the day, if live performances are simply just about the music being played, then why bother with a DJ at all? Why not just get a sick play list on i tunes and set up a laptop all night?
Because an itunes playlist won't beatmatch, fade, blend, cut, adjust the equalizers, scratch, use filters & other effects, double drop, rewind, etc etc.
I fail to see how "spinning" cd's makes you a nutless monkey, when you're doing all the things a vinyl user does too.
I admit that I'm CD-only for now, I do think that spinning vinyl has a lot more style, I really do like vinyl, but seriously, you are glorifying it way over the top.
When I'm in a club I usually don't even see if the DJ is using CDJs or TTs in his stand, and honestly - I couldn't care less. It's all about his track selection, mixing and effects (like cutting, double dropping etc), not if he's using CD, Vinyl or MP3.

Ive never had a go on a CD deck really, like a lot of other people I'd use one for trying out a tune im working on or something, couldnt just mix with them though I dont reckon, I love vinyl and dont mind paying the extra for it.

Im gunna invest in a CDJ as soon as ive finished a fair amount of tunes so that I can play them, or play tunes other producers send me.
Thats it.

I always have and always will buy vinyl.

Though when i went to uni I switched to serato because:

a)we live in a crack head area where oblivious housemates routinely leave the door on the latch. I don't care what insurance says, when my copies of tibetan mist, messiah and interplanetary funk go missing money will not console me.

b)I can't afford to buy as much vinyl at uni; as such I have become well aquainted with trackitdown etc.

When I play out I will generally play all vinyl sets, though I will bust out a serato set occasionally.

I don't begrude people who use traktor or serato because it's still true to the craft. There's still vinyl spinning on a platter. CDJ's, Whilst I have and use one just doesn't feel like DJing at all. you don't see anything moving except lights, it's like a games console.

now this is a sexy setup!

image00001837.jpg

vinyl all the way, when you see the 2 top boys Andy and Friction playing it everywhere you got to go with that.
Its still way more hands on than CDJs (they do my head in it takes at least 5-10 seconds to get to the tune you want after putting one in where as vinyl you drop the needle and go) the sound quality still pisses on digital on a loud system

finally all budding producers out there, if you want to make money selling D & B you gotta play vinyl or it hypocritical expecting peeps to buy it when you dont play it

After all vinyl sales is still where the dollars at, cdjs are cool for playing the odd fresh bit, but deffo take the skill of turntablism that we all love away

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom