I still use vinyl!

You can argue however much you like about the antiquity of vinyl and how the digital era is coming in and how it's obselete etc etc etc.
Bottom line is though, vinyl is the only medium in which the ART of mixing (and it is an art) is fully on display.
Think about it, when you go and see a DJ, you're not just going along to listen to the phat tunes, your going to watch him in his element, and how he does what he does. You go to admire his skill (or not, if they suck :P) and enjoy the experience of watching him at his craft.
I would argue that that feeling is lost when digital mediums are involved. It cheapens the entire process. It removes the sense of skill from the DJ, because that entire time you're thinking "a nutless monkey could do this". And in all honesty they probably could.
Sure, we pay an extortionate amount of money to keep what is essentially an archaic format alive, but without it dnb, no in fact most underground music would lose a great deal of its appeal.

vinyl is gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but let's not be seduced by the history of the art, lets embrace the future.

It's not the history of art that seduces us my friend, it is the idea of art. And whether you care to admit it or not, digital technology only contributes to the suppression of that idea.

did any1 see grand master flash on the jules holland show?? i cant imagine jules holland would of had a "digital" dj on there, he would have been laughed off the stage!!

You can argue however much you like about the antiquity of vinyl and how the digital era is coming in and how it's obselete etc etc etc.
Bottom line is though, vinyl is the only medium in which the ART of mixing (and it is an art) is fully on display.
Think about it, when you go and see a DJ, you're not just going along to listen to the phat tunes, your going to watch him in his element, and how he does what he does. You go to admire his skill (or not, if they suck :P) and enjoy the experience of watching him at his craft.
I would argue that that feeling is lost when digital mediums are involved. It cheapens the entire process. It removes the sense of skill from the DJ, because that entire time you're thinking "a nutless monkey could do this". And in all honesty they probably could.
Sure, we pay an extortionate amount of money to keep what is essentially an archaic format alive, but without it dnb, no in fact most underground music would lose a great deal of its appeal.

Could you tell me how much more skill you need for a vinyl turntable? their exactly the same mate lol. You still have to pitch bend and beatmatch with a cdj. You could even do exactly as you would with vinyl with alot of the Denon range cdjs.

I do admire the vinyl heads for being so stubborn though:D do you still watch video tapes and and listen to cassettes?

you have to admit that these are versatile peices of kit that plays both formats.
product_thumb.php

It's not the history of art that seduces us my friend, it is the idea of art. And whether you care to admit it or not, digital technology only contributes to the suppression of that idea.

if its such an art, which ok maybe but so what, why do people get the best turntables with enhanced torque and various pitch ranges, and in some cases 'digital' displays like the Numark TTK.

in a nutshell, I just dont understand why vinyl pushers look down upon the Digital users( you have right if you use some sort of auto beatmatch pointless cack) its a different format, they both play the same music with barely much difference in sound.

Is it cuz I is Digi? Booyakasha!

how? if anything digital technology enhances that art and has bought something new to it. it offers djs more versatility and more creativity. without digital technology we wouldn't have fx on mixers, or things like serato scratch. saying digital technology suppresses the art is a bit narrow minded really and there is no difference in the art between cd decks or vinyl decks. just remember it's not vinyl that makes mixng an art, it's the music. and the music will be the main focus whether on vinyl or mp3

how? if anything digital technology enhances that art and has bought something new to it. it offers djs more versatility and more creativity. without digital technology we wouldn't have fx on mixers, or things like serato scratch. saying digital technology suppresses the art is a bit narrow minded really and there is no difference in the art between cd decks or vinyl decks. just remember it's not vinyl that makes mixng an art, it's the music. and the music will be the main focus whether on vinyl or mp3

The only thing I can really compare it to is going to see a rock band, and realising halfway through watching them that they're all miming to a recorded track.

I agree with you to an extent, the music is part of the art. The medium in which it is presented to us is another part. And I didn't say it suppresses the actual art of music, I said it suppressed the idea of art in the sense that that idea of mixing and a DJ's talent is 'cheapened' by the use of digital technology. BPM counters, digital displays showing you the precicise layout of the tune soundwave for soundwave. Once you add all these visual aids into the equation it becomes so much easier.

I guess at the end of the day it's what you prefer to go see. Safety1, for you it may all be about the music that's being played. For me, the showmanship behind the music being played is a massive part of it, and vinyl DJs have that showmansip. It's how it started, it's the one oldshcool format that continues to stand the test of time. When someone thinks the word "DJ" they see a geezer slamming a slab of wax onto a revolving turntable. At the end of the day, if live performances are simply just about the music being played, then why bother with a DJ at all? Why not just get a sick play list on i tunes and set up a laptop all night?♦

I am talking specifically about live performances in the context of this debate. In your bedroom I couldn't really give a tupenny what you use.

if its such an art, which ok maybe but so what, why do people get the best turntables with enhanced torque and various pitch ranges, and in some cases 'digital' displays like the Numark TTK.

As far as I am aware the Technic 1210 is the industry standard. Haven't ever seen any of thise digital display turntables you speak of in any clubs mate. Again, if you're talking about bedroom DJs then by all means, whatever you wanna do.

As far as I am aware the Technic 1210 is the industry standard. Haven't ever seen any of thise digital display turntables you speak of in any clubs mate. Again, if you're talking about bedroom DJs then by all means, whatever you wanna do.

maybe so about the technics, but their have been updated. It was a crap point i made I know.

Dont you think that seeing the layout of a song the vinyl record is more of an advantage than a standard cdj can do. I think you me be assuming that all digital users use some sort of visual display of the song, use a bpm counter, auto sync and use just a laptop.

I use none of the features described which is considered cheating, I use two cdj turntables, with a rotating platter, everything is the same, i play and ride the pitch, touch it etc etc, nothing is missing from the visual aspect except for the way the turntable looks of course.

long term vinyl is more expensive but how does an industry strandard cdj cost? a fucking bomb! can get a techni turntable for half or even less im not entirely sure, i plan on gettin a cdj sometime, but theyre a lot to forK out on!

Hi ya people! New to this forum lark so bear with me.
Gonna hopefully be posting some mixes of mine for you's to enjoy under name of Emeate. All done with good old fashioned vinyl I might add on Numark TT500 + Behringer DJX750.It's not that I'm against the idea of mp3 and cdj's. It's just that I like the control and sound of vinyl more so.Anyone else agree?Opinions please

totally agree mate,im old skool and dont even know how to use cdjs!!
but i think if your just gettin into djing then mp3s are a great and cheep way of buildin a collection so i can see the attraction

Last edited:
maybe so about the technics, but their have been updated. It was a crap point i made I know.

Dont you think that seeing the layout of a song the vinyl record is more of an advantage than a standard cdj can do. I think you me be assuming that all digital users use some sort of visual display of the song, use a bpm counter, auto sync and use just a laptop.

I use none of the features described which is considered cheating, I use two cdj turntables, with a rotating platter, everything is the same, i play and ride the pitch, touch it etc etc, nothing is missing from the visual aspect except for the way the turntable looks of course.

I can only really comment on the industry standard in regards to cdjs - a mate of mine has pioneer cdj 800s and those things a worlds easier to get to grasp with then a set of turntables. Visual display, bpm counter, play/pause buttons. The wheel interface is cool but if we're gonna be honest its just a gimmick.

My firm belief is that digital technology should be used to enhance the turntable DJ's arsenal, not void and replace it.

^^^why do people get so defensive about using cdjs ^^^^^ queer hahah, makes me wonder about that reverse psychology thing about people being so anti-gay when its who themselves are actually queer!!:gang_bang

Back
Top Bottom