DnB I recently started making music and would like to know what others think of it.

BrannyUK

Hi,

I am very new to this forum and have only just signed up. Recently I started using Ableton Live 9 to make Dubstep tracks. I made a view but something wasn't right about them, so I got a mate who uses the same software to help me out and he told me what i was doing wrong. After he told me what to do I started producing stuff that was a lot better, I deleted my old tracks off of soundcloud and uploaded the new material.

Anyway, I then thought I would make some drum & bass too, I have never made drum and bass before so I looked up a few tutorial videos on youtube, researched into it, and talked about it with the same guy who helped me produce better tracks (he only makes drum & bass). I finished my first dnb track today and wanted to get some opinions of people who aren't my mates that will tell me it's good even if it's bad.

https://soundcloud.com/drbranny/killer-doll

Not at all bad for a first effort, I see tunes on here all the time that are basically identical to that style and aesthetic wise but with superior engineering.

One thing I will say to you is that your tune here sounds like you've only really ever heard DnB on youtube videos, and even then only with the intent of making more DnB that sounds comparable. This is a phenomenally common approach and quite frankly is unlikely to ever result in seriously worthwhile art. This is by no means a criticism of your effort here, or indeed of your mentality specifically - it's merely a cold hard fact that the quality of music in general has plummeted ever since the default sense of involvement in any genre of electronic music comes most naturally and initially from production instead of through passionate engagement through critical listening and a sense of what music is capable of expressing beyond the various functionalist tropes and clichés.

Your midranges will sound crisper and your drums will sound more "correct" if you read all the manuals to all the plugins and put your monitors in exactly the right places etc etc etc but at the end of the day there's no substitute for a deep understanding of the music to which you are trying to make a positive contribution.

Keep making music!

first of all, there's a special subforum from own production, so you can use that
http://dnbforum.com/forumdisplay.php/21-New-Talent-and-Track-Reviews

on the track:
put that voice in the intro louder
drums: now they are kinda dubstep drums, heavy kick, that snare, drum and bass needs punchier kicks and snares (mostly)
the kick works, but the snare needs more punch and needs to be more clear in the mix
Also, do you work with every-16-bars-something-new? Because the drop felt kinda early, it felt awkward in my ears

first of all, there's a special subforum from own production, so you can use that
http://dnbforum.com/forumdisplay.php/21-New-Talent-and-Track-Reviews

on the track:
put that voice in the intro louder
drums: now they are kinda dubstep drums, heavy kick, that snare, drum and bass needs punchier kicks and snares (mostly)
the kick works, but the snare needs more punch and needs to be more clear in the mix
Also, do you work with every-16-bars-something-new? Because the drop felt kinda early, it felt awkward in my ears

Thanks for the feedback, I know the drop is a bit early, I probably should have built it up a lot more. Also, if you know anywhere I could download some sample packs for more drum & bass like drums I would appreciate that a lot!

Back
Top Bottom