I played my first show last night

DankerThanDanson

Retired pitcher
VIP Junglist
Hello guys,

I opened an event last night. Pretty small event, but they invited me back next week. There wasn't much of a crowd while I was playing but, I was thrilled just to get my feet wet.

I guess they do an electronic night every Monday.. and judging from the lineup and what I was hearing after my set, the regular DJs play dubstep, trap, and that weird kind of electro-step pop that the chicks dig.

The main guy who puts it on is a dubstep/EDM head, but, the guy doing the sound is an old school jungle/breaks DJ. He said he's trying to put together a dnb night and unofficially offered me a slot at his event, based upon him liking what I played.

The set I played was..

Total Science, Hydro, & War - Denial
S.P.Y - Slum Dub
Benny L - Low Blow
Break - Soundwaves
Culture Shock - I Remember
Loadstar - Bomber
Break - The Uprising
Hive - Neo
Raiden - Working Class Heroes
Enei and Mefjus - Dead Space
Teebee - Black Mind
Ob1 - Jasmine Nights
My Nu Leng & Spectrasoul - The Terrace

A few fuckups, with beats not locked, but some nice and smooth transitions too. Enough tight mixes to make an impression.

A few things I noticed:

I need better DJ headphones. I cheaped out on my pair and they are not professional level. The room noise overpowered my headphones 90% of the time. Anyone have any recommendations for a baller on a budget?

Sometimes when the bass dropped my needle skipped slightly, nothing out of this world, but, maybe I need better cartridge and stylus? I'm just using a generic Audio Technica right now. Maybe I need to upgrade?

I got a little show anxiety, which is normal, I suppose for someone brand new. It was fun, and pretty laid back event. I'll prolly go back next week and throw down some fire. I was the only one spinning dnb, like I said earlier all trap/edm. I think I can learn to work that crowd and make junglists out of them.

Brilliant, I'm about to do this and I'm pretty anxious about it since djing isnt my thing. I'm gonna try using open back headphones that I use for production simply cos they look better than my closed back ones. I' thinking that may be a bad idea... needles I'm unsure of since I'm only digital atm. Although I've seen people selotaping 2p to the stylus I'd assume that's to make it behave? Anywyas nice one on playing out I'm going to drink to calm my nerves but I'm unsure how long I'll last since it' a 5 hour set. Best not start on anything too strong I suppose.
Is coke actually worth taking deegs?

Brilliant, I'm about to do this and I'm pretty anxious about it since djing isnt my thing. I'm gonna try using open back headphones that I use for production simply cos they look better than my closed back ones. I' thinking that may be a bad idea... needles I'm unsure of since I'm only digital atm. Although I've seen people selotaping 2p to the stylus I'd assume that's to make it behave? Anywyas nice one on playing out I'm going to drink to calm my nerves but I'm unsure how long I'll last since it' a 5 hour set. Best not start on anything too strong I suppose.

Make sure you pound booze before and just pick up a pair of earbuds from the gas station on your way in.

Kidding aside.

Good luck man, if you're really doing a 5 hour set, that's legendary. Like Goa Gil pretty much marathon playing records for acid soaked hippies.

Dunno.

Doubt it. Us has 300m people UK has 60m people.

So ..

All about per capita.

Well yeah, USA has more everything if we're talking sheer size of numbers.

But, I just thought Crack was something you found more in the American ghettos, etc.. This is all back in the 80's as they policed the fuck out of crack.

Anywyas nice one on playing out I'm going to drink to calm my nerves but I'm unsure how long I'll last since it' a 5 hour set. Best not start on anything too strong I suppose.

Don't start early, just before or at it.
Beer or Pernod/Water or Whisky/Water (no drops). Cloak or Pete doesn't really matter, it helps mixing a lot imo :lol:

Avoid weed and any other durgs at all cost.

Back
Top Bottom