I passed my Thai Boxing grading today!

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by D BREAKNECK, Jul 26, 2008.

1. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

:boxing:Phew!

I passed my Blue armband grading today, flippin hard work, but I prepared very hard for it (this is after 18 months of training at least 2 twice a week, often more, and loads more gym sessions for fitness & strength).

32 weeks since the last one, I coulda graded 16 wks ago, but tbh I wouldn't have been ready, and the grading clashed with a Breakneck weekend.

Blue is 2 grades below Brown 1 (black belt equivalent) which I hope to achieve in Nov next year.

I know this is very self indulgent, and do know that lotsa ppl don't recognise grading in Thai Boxing and only care about fight results, but I am in for an upcoming internal club tournament and an inter-club tournament (fighting against other clubs), trust me, training is HARD, and I train and spar with plenty fighters who kick sooo hard it ain't funny.

& I is now getting drunk in the sun to celebrate!

2. 1995ting

1995ting Active Member

well done, is this muay thai you do?

3. D BREAKNECK

Yah. Muay Thai is Thai for 'Boxing Thai'.

4. barbarella

barbarella Active Member

:2thumbs:
    Doesn't yr training clash with yr partying?:teeth:

5. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

nice one mate! congrats and fair play :p

6. D BREAKNECK

It does.

I have to schedule well...

& eat well and look after myself inbetween party time (which is a good thing).

So far I'm managing quite well.

7. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

well done mate!
    id still kick ya ass tho!lol:jackson:

8. Snowgirl

Snowgirl Member

Congratulations!!

I do kickboxing, I love it! Only been doing it for a year though. What did you have to do for your grade?? I bet you're shattered!

9. safety

safety double safety

do you reckon you could take subsonicdeejay? we could have a forum fight. i'd be well up for taking on rocksteady*

10. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

i could take on every1 an id kick sum ass!lol:rik:

11. D BREAKNECK

Thx! You don't wanna know...

(but I'll tell you anyway):coffee:

Warm up - 35 each, press ups, sit ups, squats, v-sits, deep squats, jump ups - 2 minutes of stretching

Ram Thai (Ritual Dance) - What Thai fighters do when entering the ring to focus, stretch & psyche out their oppopent (more advanced ones for each grading).

Self defense - 5 of my own choice out a list of 20+, 2 of the instructors on the spot choice. Includes knife attacks.

Techniques - (combos of 5-10 hits) in Punching, Elbows, Knees, Kicks, 2 of each prescribed combos in a sylabus, 1 of each of my own to include prescribed techiques & Full Thai (combining all of them) 2 combos of my own.

Sparring - 2 minutes of my own against my own grade, + 3 minutes against a senior grade in their grading.

Rules - Have to recite 7 of our 15 club rules (instructor's choice on the spot, word perfect) + 5 fighter's rules, + 1 pledge of Muay Thai (word perfect)

Safety - First aid how to stop bleeding...

So yeah, I am knacked, but very satisfied!:D

Took from 9am to 3pm...

12. D BREAKNECK

Thx! You don't wanna know...

(but I'll tell you anyway):coffee:

Warm up - 35 each, press ups, sit ups, squats, v-sits, deep squats, jump ups - 2 minutes of stretching

Ram Thai (Ritual Dance) - What Thai fighters do when entering the ring to focus, stretch & psyche out their oppopent (more advanced ones for each grading).

Self defense - 5 of my own choice out a list of 20+, 2 of the instructors on the spot choice. Includes knife attacks.

Techniques - (combos of 5-10 hits) in Punching, Elbows, Knees, Kicks, 2 of each prescribed combos in a sylabus, 1 of each of my own to include prescribed techiques & Full Thai (combining all of them) 2 combos of my own.

Sparring - 2 minutes of my own against my own grade, + 3 minutes against a senior grade in their grading.

Rules - Have to recite 7 of our 15 club rules (instructor's choice on the spot, word perfect) + 5 fighter's rules, + 1 pledge of Muay Thai (word perfect)

Safety - First aid how to stop bleeding...

So yeah, I am knacked, but very satisfied!:D

Took from 9am to 3pm...

13. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Remember to add "Thai Box graduate/ Ass-kicker Professional / Promoter / DJ / 25 Hour Party Person / Very big penis" to your sig.

14. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

BTW That wasn't being sarcastic towards you, well done!

15. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

I'll fight Logikz, drunken master style (I have the feeling I'd lose anyway).

16. D BREAKNECK

Nah! He's ripped, an obv takes his training well serious. I ain't at figther level yet (u dunno what fighter training is like and u don't wanna). HARDCORE & years of commitment to get to that level.

I'll spar against anyone tho, gotta learn and take the knocks.

Dustek. I kno u ain't bein sarcastic, may well change ma sig! & cheers!

atm, a lot more training than partying...

But u gotta do what you gotta do...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  17. Snowgirl

Snowgirl Member

That's pretty hardcore!! My last grade was only an hour and a half. Well done man!

I'll be in a forum fight! I am actually a highly trained ninja :evil:

18. D BREAKNECK

What grade are you at?

I'm deeply suspicious of Ninjas...

All that stealth killing, etc...

19. Snowgirl

Snowgirl Member

Er....well....actually I'm only at white, pretty low down on the ninja scale. I watch lots of martial arts videos though so I have the knowledge at least...:D

Seriously though, my next grading is tomorrow, but I'm not doing it because I'd have to buy all the clothes with the clubs label on, which is around £60, then pay for the grade, which is £30....it's so expensive I can't do it! I just feel a bit like it's a rip off and I know other gyms don't do it like that. Is it similar at yours?

My brother does thai boxing, he was telling me maybe I should change gyms, and reckoned there's a really good one in bethnal green, so I might do that if I move to the area.

20. D BREAKNECK

At ours, you have to grade (not to train) you have to wear a club Tshirt (£12), and shorts in club colours (black & red). That's it. They sell all the gear, at fair prices but no obligation to buy / wear theirs. The first grading is included in yr first year membership / insurance (£25), then gradings start at £10 going upto £50 at high grades.

Your club does seem costly tbh, and though I'm bound by my club rules not to make derogatory remarks about other Martial Arts (and Kick Boxing can mean all sorts of things), I would suggest you at least try a proper Thai Boxing class.

Are you training elbows, knees, clinches, low kicks etc?

I've heard good things about the Bethnal Green gym from someone who trained there for a few months, but I think it might be more 'fighter orientated'.

& the most important question...

Have you seen Ong Bak?!