I need some advice

DJVendetta

Hi,
I've been mixing for a while now (about 6 months) and I'd like to think I'm pretty good. I've contacted a few promoters and they like my stuff so I'll have gigs coming up soon.

I'm using digital gear (mixtrack and x1 at the moment, I want an s4) which is irrelevant really. My main question is; do most of you prepare a set beforehand with songs that go together well or do you just choose the tracks on the fly in the club? I'm finding it really difficult to pull off a good set without any preparation.

Thanks.

There is no right answer mate. Do what you prefer. I know some people who structure a mix and it sounds amazing, and I know some people who mix on the fly and it sounds just as good.

do wat ur comfortable with mate, i know when i first had bookings i used to plan my set b4 i played

nowdays, i just know what tunes go well together etc, so just go to the club and go with the flow..

I just feel that I'd have to plan the mix properly first, but then what if someone requests a track or there's no-one dancing and I've got a heavy section coming up?

I try to freestyle but I end up picking tracks that don't go with eachother.

if you know a few mixes that go well together know how to do them well, then chuck little bits in your comfy with, just go with the flow i reckon, see what the crowd dig

what i do is pre plan a something. if the crowd aint feeling it, i dig out some different styles and see what gets the best reaction

I suggest maybe having a few intros ready to go. Go to the venue early (and if you are not opening) see what the crowd is reacting to and play from that.

I also suggest having "go to mixes" for when you make a mistake, or just need to regain some energy.

if you had a "heavy section" coming you could always just pull up the mix and start with a different style, and keep your heavy section until you get the crowd going.

Back
Top Bottom