I need an opinion on my MIDI 'handling'

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Menosance, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Hi guys,

I hope this finds you well. I recently did this track and it features a lot of MIDI movement in the bassline (from no distortion to distortion). I would like an opinion if it sounds a bit amateur-ish when it comes to modulation/automation. Thanks y'all :)

Black Ruby
    https://soundcloud.com/menosance/black-ruby/s-tYD3v

Thanks! Much Love,
    Menosance :) x

2. Amnestic

Amnestic Member

Sounds good to me, cool song.

Menosance likes this.
  3. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Thanks man, I appreciated it :)

4. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

It does sound amateur and 80's-ish.

Menosance likes this.
  5. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Thanks man. Even I felt it a bit amateur. 80's-ish in what sense though?? I appreciate you help IV4.

6. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

You took down the song or I can't listen to it, but from what I remember. In the 80's synth work was reaching its teen-age years so to speak, they were coming up with great sounds that are still widely used today. However, the processing and the mix of the synth was not as developed...or at least different than today. Believe me Menosance, I struggle with processing as much as the next guy. We all do. If it were easy we would all be famous by now. It is just a slow process.

7. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

The link is still available mate. Hmm I understand. The distortion does sound old but I can't find any good free distortion plugins. Camel Crusher for some reason doesn't want to show up in VST (I am running x64 Live 9) so I am left only with Ableton's native effects and Trash 2 which removes the analogue-ness of the sound. This was the first time I used a MIDI pad controller (Akai LPD8) so I knew the results would not be that great. I am happy with it but not that much at the same time. Thanks for the help mate :)

8. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i dont know about that i think its plenty analog, was the sample analog to begin with? the midi handling, what is that, is it what the song sounds like, in genral? the arrangement and repetition and melody and so forth, ok, i agree with IV4 its pretty novice, but on the bright side i like the 80s sounding synths. it would of course be more better if that was intentional. try and recreate total science "face riders", see if that wont help you resolve some knots in that creative process

Menosance likes this.
  9. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Thanks Logikz. What I meant by Midi handling is the way that bassline goes from being dark to quite distorted. I was trying to give the movement a natural feel rather than 'robotic' (that is, being made by clicking on the parameters rather than recording the movements via a controller). The bassline comes from Loopmasters - Ital Tek presents Sub Basses and it does sound analog on its own. About the 80's thing maybe I have understood both of you wrong, but there isn't anything intentional to sounds 80's. Vibe-wise maybe, but nothing was that intentional. Still thanks for checking it out mate :)

10. Northern Seagul

Northern Seagul Active Member

voices in intro is so strange oO
    pretty good handing at the beginning)

Menosance likes this.
  11. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Thanks man. Strange in a good way or bad way ?? :)