I Need a New PC

H*product

Heavyweight product
VIP Junglist
My mate built my last one and its been sweet for the past 5 years but now its really starting to lag (he's now too busy to slap me together another one) I was just wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere to purchase a new one?

was contemplating this one:
http://www.inta-audio.com/computer-music-c36/music-pcs-c37/intel-premium-music-pc-p5540

but I'm sure techy types know somewhere with better value for money. any suggestions?

It's worth doing a little research and building one yourself, it's not difficult, the pieces slot together like lego.

it's knowing what pieces you need that may be difficult.

but you'd end up saving A LOT of money.

It's worth doing a little research and building one yourself, it's not difficult, the pieces slot together like lego.

it's knowing what pieces you need that may be difficult.

but you'd end up saving A LOT of money.

This is something people say alot. Have you ever built one yourself akhmed? That you can prove?

This is something people say alot. Have you ever built one yourself akhmed? That you can prove?

yes, not that i can prove, but i don't see the need to

it's not difficult to build a PC, unless you don't have use of your hands

PCs are pretty straight forward to build once you've got all the bits. Start with finding the processor that fits your needs/budget, then find a compatible motherboard as thats what's going your limit your other choices on hardware (memory/PCI slots/graphics capabilities etc) If you find bits that you want and are not sure whether they will work together feel free to drop me a PM...My hourly rates are pretty reasonable ;)

Edit: or if you can't be bothered www.pcworld.co.uk :teeth:

Last edited:
Coming in again on the "build your own" side of things, I would definitely recommend going down the BYO road. I've built six machines over a few years and all are still running. I know this is quite off-topic to production, but I would like to help and advise if I can.

I've been looking at a Bitfenix Prodigy case to put a mini-itx board in and build a small, yet powerful music production machine.

www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/prodigy/

Something like a nice Intel Core i5 or i7 with 8Gb of RAM should be a nice start if you're looking at a DAW with lots of VSTs. SSD drives (flash based, like your mobile phone, so fast but expensive) is optional but becoming more affordable and when used as a boot drive and paired with a standard, high capacity hard drive it's a pretty great set up. Let me know your budget and we can work something out.

me personally.........upgrade your current one. RAM,motherboard.............thats all you really need to do!

thats a bit expensive.
what i do is go to computer sites that let you configure your own pc.
so you pick the components from a drop down - they all work together - they build it and ship it to you.
that way you can get what you want without the hassle of ordering all the parts - not knowing if they work togehter - or even if they work.
Yeah its about £100 more expensive than buying individual components - but they check them all out first.
try building your own pc when your motheroard or the dpu is dead on arrival - no fun i tells u.

do a google search for " build your own pc" - check out websites that let you pcik the components.
go to 5 dfifferent sites - pick the same spec and go for the cheapest one.
bear in mind that these days you dont need to super powerfull power supplies. though you probably will wnat the super quiet ones.
gl

For max compatability I'd get a motherboard with a texas instruments (TI) chipset as If you ever use firewire you will have less problems than the other makes. They just seem to run better with pro audio interfaces etc. You will save building your own. I bought a bundle (motherB , heatsink and processor already overclocked) from overclockers uk. Its a good compromise as you can get own case, dvd writer hard drives etc, but you don't have to set up the BIOS. Built my i7 system this way

For max compatability I'd get a motherboard with a texas instruments (TI) chipset as If you ever use firewire you will have less problems than the other makes.

Really? I've not heard of anything like this going on. Can't you just get a third party TI firewire card and have a bigger and better selection of motherboards to chose from?

Always encourage building your own, it really is like LEGO but yeah the hard part is making sure everything you get works together. It'd take some research and learning sure, but then you'd have the skill and knowledge for next time you need to upgrade :) Plus it's a lot cheaper which is the main point and you can get exactly what you need.

i got mine off a company called ginger 6 about 5 years ago and its still going strong. you just pick all the parts you want, then they charge 60 quid or so to check the compatability and build it. if you have some conflicting hardware theyl email you and advise you the best alternatives. I spent 700 5 years ago and it runs ableton as smooth as you could want still. also i bought it with a £300 graphics card, something you dont need for a production pc!

Some decent advice there. I'm gonna build my own, those pre made PCs are always a rinse. Once I've sorted a parts list I'll stick it up here for anyone who's interested. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom