I like it loud but........

Fratanize

Keepin the jungle alive
VIP Junglist
I have been making and exporting my tunes at max volume.
I think this has been limiting how much i can adjust the levels on each mixer track coz all sounds are fighting each other. Also exporting at top volume is silly i think. People can just use their volume knob if they want it louder. Can everyone please tell me what volume they are outputting at and what they use compression on.
Cheers crew.
peace

i like to have my breaks because i like to use intelligent breaks slightly louder than everything else but not too loud so i put compression on the drums n have it on drums preset i exprort it on 0.0db but have my drums on the mixer betweens 3 n 10 % lower

as long as each track is not in the red its fine.... just adjust to taste ;)

i export at just below 0dB, say about -0.5dB

thats why youll find no compression at all on my latest joint and certainly no limiter over the mix. its not perfect but it is pretty loud. i dont know what volume i output on, or what i use compression on, i use compression to shape transients mainly, i get my samples loud by gaining them through my gear.

bout 2.5 db below zero
and use comp[ression for mi drums and bass

DONT USE COMPRESSION!!

What is it with everyone these days compressing stuff!!??

Why would you compress your music? Do you not think you need dynamics to make a good track?

Its a very common mistake that people think you shoudl compress drum, bass and vocals..... Yeh fair enough compress one or two layers of your drum paterns but never compress the whole lot..... leaves your music soundin flat and boring.

And also people goto university/college and spend 2/3 years learning how to master tracks and get the best sound.... so why would you use a shabby software compressor yourself??
Leave it down to the experts.... Take your track to a cutting studio and they will master and compress your trakcs all you want.... except they are using £1000's worth of kit.

But other than that i master my tracks to 0dB... or sometimes just under...

Cheerz fellaz. Using less and less compression now.
When i use too much compression, my track sounds like i need to unblock my ears, nearly like its underwater. Makes me think i'm a def bastard. Prob is, good producers have different opinions. Hard to know who to listen too.
Think i'm gonna have to give the ole trial and error a go!
Just hope i dont get anyone pregnant....

nothing like a couple of million years of trial and error, at least not if evolutions got anything to say about it. tell you what mate there is an awesome piece on eqing written by hipnotic on DOA and there is another piece on compression written by someone, really good reading, i think you can find it under threads of interest, or searching on 'attacking the action snare'

Compression is a double edged sword when overdone...if the ratios are right it is great for Drum and Bass to get a track sounding loud and fat....
on the flipside it can take away the Dynamics of a track - ie - different sounds at different levels in the mix.
Side chaining is the way forward! Allowing you to boost certain signals whilst dipping others when triggered. Use this together with EQ and you can avoid overall compression of signals in your track.
Brookes Brothers, Culture Shock, Subfocus to name but a few use this method. I swear by it myself. It takes a little time to get it right but the finished product is drum hits sounding like the guys mentioned above.

Its ok to hit in the red as long as u don't clip. The meters are only determining the headroom in a digital realm, ounce u bounce your audio the headroom is much larger. iD B CAREFULL WITH THE COMPRESSION THOUGH, IT COULD EITHER MAKE YOUR TRAKE OR IT COULD RUIN IT. Try using a multiband eq, before u do your compression (this might clean up your sound for you).

one.:beers:

Back
Top Bottom