I learned a wee trick tonight....

vicious-beats

Old news for some probably but for anyone learning like me - I've been trying to learn EQing etc, was reading CM magazine and they suggest using panning to make space for the different sounds and set them out in their own area in the mix.

Their general rule goes Drums, Subs and snares mono in the middle, hi hats and everything else get spaced about wherever sounds good.

Works a treat and its something I'll be using from now on.

I actually found this out myself today after reading Rick Snoman's "The Dance Music Manual".

He also states that for high synth's and stuff, to have two seperate channels playing the same synth, one panned completely to the left, and one to the right to add more depth. Havnt tried it myself yet, but makes sense???

I actually found this out myself today after reading Rick Snoman's "The Dance Music Manual".

He also states that for high synth's and stuff, to have two seperate channels playing the same synth, one panned completely to the left, and one to the right to add more depth. Havnt tried it myself yet, but makes sense???

i've got that book :D

3dimentional mixing, height is frequency, width is pan and depth is reverb. fill the imaginary box and win a prize.

The rule is - the higher the sound - the more spresded you have to put it. The lower the sound the closer to the middle it has to go.

PS: Master Yoda my name is

If you duplicate a synth or whatever so theyre identical, then pan them left and right, its exactly the same as having one version in mono. because thats how stereo works.

when a sound is in the 'middle' its coming out each of the headphones/speakers at equal levels.

so the whole duplicating and panning thing is kind of pointless, unless your going to alter one so the signals arent identical...

Hmm. I've been told to be very very careful with this for dance music as a lot of club soundsystems are in mono and it could be fatal to a track for some reason. It's more recommended to use a stereo widener.

I could be wrong.

Hi all,

Got a problem with that "bass centered in mono" thing:

i tried it for the very first time 10 minutes ago, i export my midi sub and import it back on a mono channel and all the sustain has gone, it seems that puting things in mono weakenned them, what's the trick if "every D&B producer should put his bass in mono"?

Help needed boyz!

Thx

Hi there,

You don't need to convert the bass to mono, just keep it central in the mix, normally achieved by not applying any panning. It's only accents that you want to pan such as little sounds to compliment the main track.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,

You don't need to convert the bass to mono, just keep it central in the mix, normally achieved by not applying any panning. It's only accents that you want to pan such as little sounds to compliment the main track.

Hope this helps.

This.

Also, as someone was querying earlier... you should listen to/make your track work mono and stereo! but to be honest, this panning/widening crap is something i have never used but everyone seems to advise using it so i'm going to incorporate in the next tune!

It tends to help tracks to be a little more dynamic. I'd say get a few layers down then mess about with panning, if you've got something going on in the left hand speaker try and compliment it with something slightly different on the right. tis great for atmospheric moments.

i pan my drums to different sides sometimes but duplicate each sample and have one lowpassed and one hipassed at about 200hz.
i keep the lowpassed one mono and have the highpassed on left or right.
i do this with multiple snares to experiment

Back
Top Bottom