i just got..

Rubs90

KeyControl
VIP Junglist
my brand new turntables, they arrived yesterday, and today my first shipment of vinyls including Noisia - Stigma and Brookes Brothers - Tear You Down (+ others) arrived today

I was up until now mixing those sweeties, but ofc, it's my first day and I have a lot of questions, hope you can help me:

1. sometimes when i'm cuing a track (i think this is what it's called, when i go back and forth with the vinyl waiting to fit it into the other song:confused:), and I release the vinyl, it just jumps into another part further on the track. why does this happen and how can I avoid it?

2. whenever im cuing a track, should I always start with the very beginning or when the hats are first introduced?

3. some of my vinyls came with a paper cover beneath the artwork one. is it ok for me to remove it since I mostly see people with just the vinyl inside it?

4. any other tips on beatmatching, double dropping and cuing you got?

please be gentle, im still learning
thanks

What he said thats why your vinyl will be skipping, if it is on its maximum weight off the vinyl then get a peice of blue tac and a 2p and stick it on the headshell

It'll skip to another part, because when your releasing the vinyl, the needles jumping into another groove, either soften your touch on the vinyl or adjust your tone arms weight

And as for cueing, you can start anywhere in the track, but when begining it's probably easier to start with some kind of beat so you have something to beatmatch with.

I'm copying what I wrote in another thread, hope it helps:

Also, I don't think its been mentioned, D&B works in sequences. There are 16 bars in a sequence. Things always happen at the end of sequences in tracks, eg, when a track goes to a drop or breakdown 99% of the time it'll be after 16 bars. Always release your cued track after 16 bars or ideally, after 32 but it all depends on the structure. Then you won't get new patterns, drops etc developing at random points, they'll always happen at the correct time. You can't just release tracks at the end of random bars because things will happen at strange times.

I'll take a nice bait track to explain, X-Ray by Sub Focus. (I'm sure you know it, if not youtube it). The track starts and plays for 1 sequence (16 bars), then the main riff comes in and plays for 1 sequence, it then goes into a breakdown which lasts for 1 sequence till it drops. So, X-Ray takes 3 sequences from your starting point to drop. Listen to the track and you'll get familiar with sequences.

Also, always pitch ride. If a tracks too slow, you pitch ride to speed it up and make it catch up, then once its caught up, slow it down a bit.

Keep practicing, its a nice feeling when it all clicks.

I like vinyls that come with an extra paper sleeve inside, you can just rotate it so it as quick to remove the vinyl :)

I wouldn't stick a coin on my needle, I have heard it will wear the records out ...instead make sure you have the correct weight, think mine is at 2

weight on what mate?

watch

3. some of my vinyls came with a paper cover beneath the artwork one. is it ok for me to remove it since I mostly see people with just the vinyl inside it?

I'd keep it in the cover just for that added protection but I don't think it makes a real difference whether or not it's in it or not...

1. sometimes when i'm cuing a track (i think this is what it's called, when i go back and forth with the vinyl waiting to fit it into the other song:confused:), and I release the vinyl, it just jumps into another part further on the track. why does this happen and how can I avoid it?

1. You need to set your counter weights a bit heavier. Your needle will jump around if they are set too light. BUt dont set them too heavy as it will wear your records out faster.

3. NEVER THROUGH OUT THE PAPER SLEEVES. after you DJ for a while you will find that your records cut through the cardboard outer sleeve. The paper on the inside protects your outer cardboard.

keep on practicing and listen well in your headphones. all I can say.

and that's sweet that you got tear you down. drifter is one of my favorite tracks along with many others as well. big ups! welcome to the club lol

yeah, you should use djtutor.com and the How to DJ Right book (if you can find it) cuz they really do help. props for going vinyl!!!!111

Back
Top Bottom