I just found an AWESOME CPU saving VSTi

RedRavenRuler

boom baby
I just was on KVR audio browsing through there massive vst and vsti database and stumbled across this VSTi for Windows and Linux to DRASTICALLY cut your CPU usage.

Are you intrigued yet? I sure as hell was!

Ok so what is this magical VSTi you might ask.... it's a sampler called "High Life" by DiscoDSP. Fear not for this is no ordinary sample, oh no. This is a VSTi sampler too. You open your synth within the sampler by clicking the "VSTi" button... you can bring up your synth's GUI (graphic user interface) by clicking the "GUI" button, and call up presets or even make a new sound while still loaded into the sampler.

Once you have your sound you press this button on the sampler called "Freeze" and it analyzes your sound and then "unloads" the synth, but retains the exact sound the synth had apart from internal fx (like reverb) you may have had on it.

What does this mean? You now have a multi-note sample of your synth sound. So where you may have had a huge reese bass using as many detuned oscillators and voices as possible killing your CPU you instead have a low cpu usage multi-note sample that you can play =)

Here's what the sampler looks like

highlife.png

Here's the download page- http://www.discodsp.com/highlife/

I've been using this as a soft sampler for a while, only recently discovered you could load up your other VST patches into it and save them as a soundbank... Pretty nifty stuff!

While we're on the subject of Highlife, does anyone know if there's a function to avoid individual samples being timestretched the futher up or down the keyboard you go? If you're not sure what I mean; say for example you load a single bass sample with a synced LFO into Highlife and you play C3, it'll play the original sample, all in time with your global tempo, but as soon as you play a higher or lower note, say for example F3, the original sample will be at the corresponding pitch, but the note will be shortened (Or lengthened if you play a note lower than C3) and the LFO, will be out of sync.
I've tried searching for a way to fix this, but can't seem to see it anywhere. I know you can avoid this problem if you have multiple samples loaded up covering the various notes and octaves, but sometimes I'll be limited to a single sample. It may just be the case that this synth doesn't accomodate this feature, but if anyone knows of a way to solve this problem, I would be most grateful, it's been bugging me for ages.
I think NI's softsampler has a function called Time Machine that gets around this problem, but I can't afford any professional VST's at the moment. Is there any other decent free softsamplers out there?

To answer your question there's no way to sync a single sample across all keys at the same speed unless you use granular synthesis. The way the single sample pitch is changed is by playing it faster or slower so the only way around it is granular synthesis. That's why the loading the vst into it is better because you can use the "step" number. The step number determines many notes (steps) before the sampler takes another sample. For the LFO to play at the rate speed for each note you'd want to set this to 1, however if you want the lfo slight SLIGHTLY change speeds you could set turn up the step number a bit =D

Sounds like exactly the same thing as directwave can do in FL, its useful

I don't think DirectWave can load a VSTi into it (such as Massive or Blue, and then take multi-note samples of the patch from within DirectWave... can it? I use FL but i dont really mess with directwave much

I don't think DirectWave can load a VSTi into it (such as Massive or Blue, and then take multi-note samples of the patch from within DirectWave... can it? I use FL but i dont really mess with directwave much

Yep, check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ROoPtv9g5Q

I love directwave, i used to load samples into it manually, but this is a great 'hidden' feature :)

Yep, check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ROoPtv9g5Q

I love directwave, i used to load samples into it manually, but this is a great 'hidden' feature :)

Oh Snap!... How did I never notice that?

logikz the freeware download link is in the first post and if you use FL Studio you can also use their built in plugin (if you bought the high version) called DirectWave

Back
Top Bottom