I just bought logic!

There aren't many tutorials really. One of the best things to do is learn all the commands as soon as you can because once i learned all mine it helped me to work more efficiently and quickly.

the fact is that Logic form 9 to X didn't change much
Really?!? I think it was a massive change in appearance, effects and plug-ins. I've still got 9 on my machine but rarely use it. The only thing I miss is the function that when the cursor is over the playhead scrolling up & down zoomed in & out.
What matters here is the producer's skill, not the software.
This is the most important thing.

The only thing I miss is the function that when the cursor is over the playhead scrolling up & down zoomed in & out.

using a magic mouse and holding ALT you can zoom in and out from both directions... Not sure what function you're missing here?

using a magic mouse and holding ALT you can zoom in and out from both directions... Not sure what function you're missing here?
Similiar to what you describe but not holding anything on the keyboard. I'll have to try the short cut you mention. Cheers

I don't think that the DAW quality is attached to it's price, though. I use FL, and many people just laughs at it. But what they didn't know is that I did the right thing and tried all most used DAWs out there and FL just suited my workflow as a glove. And, comparing the prices, it is not as expensive as Ableton, for example. But fully capable of providing the exact same results. What matters here is the producer's skill, not the software.

FL is an mazing DAW for elecronic production.. and don't get me wrong I am not saying you always get for what you pay, but a company that drops the price of a software by 750 euros means something imo..

Good point. I wanted Abelton more but I just can't afford it. It seems so much more user friendly too.

yep I am now moving almost completely to ableton but I still love and use Logic 9 for some things.. but I'd have killed for having something like Logic X when I started :)

Reason 3 was THE software for bedroom prodcuers back then

FL is an mazing DAW for elecronic production.. and don't get me wrong I am not saying you always get for what you pay, but a company that drops the price of a software by 750 euros means something imo..

Yeah, example: noticing they have an overpriced product and are losing their market share to competitors with products with the same level of quality but lower prices. Marketing 101 here. when you have more than 100% profit rate ove something you can cut a load of a product's price for the final consumer and still profit very well, by selling more.

Yeah, example: noticing they have an overpriced product and are losing their market share to competitors with products with the same level of quality but lower prices. Marketing 101 here. when you have more than 100% profit rate ove something you can cut a load of a product's price for the final consumer and still profit very well, by selling more.

Overpriced product ? Logic 9 had basically same price as all the other competitors, while now is underpriced in comparison to the other top daws, simply now they are more interested in selling hardware now, same thing happened with final cut and many people moved back to premiere... and despite the price Logic 9 had lots more users than Logic X while Ableton 9 ( 900 Euros the suite version ) gain new users everyday.

Overpriced product ? Logic 9 had basically same price as all the other competitors, while now is underpriced in comparison to the other top daws, simply now they are more interested in selling hardware now, same thing happened with final cut and many people moved back to premiere... and despite the price Logic 9 had lots more users than Logic X while Ableton 9 ( 900 Euros the suite version ) gain new users everyday.
It's in the same price as FL and probably other DAWs like Cubase or Reason (I really can't say their price now, I may be wrong). But once again, by saying it is "underpriced compared to other TOP DAWS" when basically all DAWs can achieve the same quality, independently of company or price, you're saying that the TOP daws are the most expensive ones.

It's in the same price as FL and probably other DAWs like Cubase or Reason (I really can't say their price now, I may be wrong). But once again, by saying it is "underpriced compared to other TOP DAWS" when basically all DAWs can achieve the same quality, independently of company or price, you're saying that the TOP daws are the most expensive ones.

man no, at the time Cubase got the same price as Live, reason is smth like 600 euros, no need to talk about Pro Tools.. beside this nobody it's talking about quality, stop this ! ;)

By top daws I mean the ones used by the majority of the users and included in professional set ups, you won't see many studios and/or schools running FL or Logic X, while most professional facilities use Pro Tools, Cubase and/or Nuendo, Live for beatmaking and midi sequencing and some still use Logic 9.

Apple dropped the audio professional market a long ago and this is well known in the audio business, many studios now prefer to buy an hackintosh than the new mac tower ( the black trash can lol ) same goes for new apple laptops... once again why put your effort in a software that many people would crack anyways, when you can sell an ultra-overpriced iphone ?

Last edited:
By top daws I mean the ones used by the majority of the users and included in professional set ups, you won't see many studios and/or schools running FL or Logic X, while most professional facilities use Pro Tools, Cubase and/or Nuendo, Live for beatmaking and midi sequencing and some still use Logic 9.
Completely agree with you on this. Most users and "professional" studios use all these daws you mentioned. Ever wondered why?

Apple dropped the audio professional market a long ago and this is well known in the audio business, many studios now prefer to buy an hackintosh than the new mac tower ( the black trash can lol ) same goes for new apple laptops... once again why put your effort in a software that many people would crack anyways, when you can sell an ultra-overpriced iphone ?
You're mentioning here just one company but I agree that if it wasn't for iPhone, Apple wouldn't be inside the most valuable companies list and all.

Now, since you're mentioning cracks/piracy with the effort for a company to put into a software, why then Microsoft released Win10 if it is the most pirated OS? Why Image-line released FL12 if it is the most pirated DAW? Because there are users like me that pay for their software and want to stay legit.

And, still talking about Apple: how many games are ported (mark this word) to their OS, in comparison to games being released for Win? I know the list is high now, right? Why the effort, if games keep being pirated endlessly?

Man we are talking audio market here and the post is about logic so of course I talk about apple... I don't know anything about videogames, while in my little I make a living from audio... almost any professional studio uses Logic X, period.

Talking about d&b very few producers use Logic X ( tbh I cannot even name one, while I can name you dozens usigng live, fl, logic 9 or cubase ) period.

Most pro users in the audio and video industry are really unhappy with the direction apple took some years ago now, period.

Imageline do not sell anything else than audio softwares, Apple does and the other products they sell are way more profitable, period.

These are the facts then argue whatever you want but I am a long time apple user really pissed off and it feels like they don't care about the pro market anymore, peace.

Last edited:
Man we are talking audio market here and the post is about logic so of course I talk about apple... I don't know anything about videogames, while in my little I make a living from audio... almost any professional studio uses Logic X, period.

Talking about d&b very few producers use Logic X ( tbh I cannot even name one, while I can name you dozens usigng live, fl, logic 9 or cubase ) period.

Most pro users in the audio and video industry are really unhappy with the direction apple took some years ago now, period.

Imageline do not sell anything else than audio softwares, Apple does and the other products they sell are way more profitable, period.

These are the facts then argue whatever you want but I am a long time apple user really pissed off and it feels like they don't care about the pro market anymore, peace.

Man, you're taking this healthy discussion too seriously by taking the POV of a producer who uses what you consider "a TOP daw". Period.

I'm just putting my two cents here considering the POV of a company, independently of what market it takes part in and using similar situations with examples of companies that even not being part of the music industry, work with technology. In the end, it's the same. The principles applied to one can and are applied to the other. Period.

You said you are an Apple user pissed because they don't invest in the music market anymore. Well, try other things then. Nowadays there aren't any fidelity by the consumers as back then.

Again, I'm arguing to give my view on the subject. To expand the horizons.

Man, you're taking this healthy discussion too seriously by taking the POV of a producer who uses what you consider "a TOP daw". Period.

I'm just putting my two cents here considering the POV of a company, independently of what market it takes part in and using similar situations with examples of companies that even not being part of the music industry, work with technology. In the end, it's the same. The principles applied to one can and are applied to the other. Period.

You said you are an Apple user pissed because they don't invest in the music market anymore. Well, try other things then. Nowadays there aren't any fidelity by the consumers as back then.

Again, I'm arguing to give my view on the subject. To expand the horizons.

It's not me considering them top daws, it is just the way it is. The point nowadays is mainly about time efficiency, if you work with bands PT saves you a lot of time and money, if you have a lot of analog synths ableton will simplify your life a lot etc. if you are a pro you cannot waste time, in any business actually.

I don't think I'll buy a new apple product again as soon as my old mac pro will retire.

Then I stick to what I know, it's not theory crafting on my side :

I know that logic's development team was severely reduced few years back, Final Cut X caused most of the pros to abandon Final Cut and that Logic 9 was considered a daw for professional purposes ( therefore the difference between the pro version and the express ) while Logic X is designed to be a home studio platform these days... and about the POV seems pretty clear to me, no big money in the pro market cos studios stick with what works, the difference with widows and imageline is that they are software developers that is their job they cannot just put their effort in other ares so they are not similar situations to apple ( btw microsoft is about to release his first laptop too )

It's just like that even if you can make great music with almost everything some daws are just more advanced than others, then if you feels at home with reason 3 go for it but do not tell Live 9 isn't any better.

The common question : which daw should I go for ?

The answer is not they are all the same, the answer is you can do most of the things with most of them, then some daw are simply more effiient in doing some of the more advanced operations.

The common question : which daw should I go for ?

The answer is not they are all the same, the answer is you can do most of the things with most of them, then some daw are simply more effiient in doing some of the more advanced operations.

It's a good point. I love reason because it is very easy to use. I feel that the way you work is very natural. The problem with it is you are limited in what you can use, and took make some basses, that took me all of 20 minutes with no experience using operator or alchemy. Might take me a week to accomplish using Reason products. I was about to buy a $119 fm synth and $150 get compressor to modernize my sound a bit. When it dawned on me I could almost by bigwig for that much. So I looked into what I get for the least amount of money and Logic X seemed great. I love the plug ins and synths it comes with and I love even more I can use a synth like massive or serum.

Right now I think I will still use reason as my DAW, but I am going to start turning every thing into audio and bouncing that audio back and forth. I was making drum loops today. bounced those suckers out or reason and with in minutes I was getting the compression results I wanted in Logic.

It's a good point. I love reason because it is very easy to use. I feel that the way you work is very natural. The problem with it is you are limited in what you can use, and took make some basses, that took me all of 20 minutes with no experience using operator or alchemy. Might take me a week to accomplish using Reason products. I was about to buy a $119 fm synth and $150 get compressor to modernize my sound a bit. When it dawned on me I could almost by bigwig for that much. So I looked into what I get for the least amount of money and Logic X seemed great. I love the plug ins and synths it comes with and I love even more I can use a synth like massive or serum.

Right now I think I will still use reason as my DAW, but I am going to start turning every thing into audio and bouncing that audio back and forth. I was making drum loops today. bounced those suckers out or reason and with in minutes I was getting the compression results I wanted in Logic.

Again I'd have killed to have a powerful tool as logic X when I started and you are in the right path imo, nowadays I use Live 9 to write music then I mix in Logic 9 because I've used it for ages.. just an heads up, you can route reason into logic via rewire, without needing to bounce the audio every time ;)

For the guys who are saying you can't recall dnb producers who use Logic Pro X as their main DAW, you made me pee my pants in laughter for a bit there.
There are quite a few dnb producers using Logic X... DLR and Icicle are two that come immediately on the top of my head. Some others still use Logic Pro 9, but quite a few are upgrading. The features are all still there and there's quite a few improvements!

As for the "pro studios" you will never seem them use Live, or FL. Some of them use Logic Pro X, others use Cubase and most of them use Pro Tools.

I don't understand the argument on the price dropping. It's a marketing strategy. I'm guessing It's much more likely for someone to buy Logic when it's tagged at 200$ instead of 900$. We are on the bedroom producers age, and apple is making their move!

Don't get me wrong, I use Live 9 and Logic Pro X interchangeably. I really like the ease of use of Live, but the mixer and the overview you get are terrible. Also the midi editing in Logic has quite some more tricks under the sleeve when compared to Live. Both of them have advantages and disadvantages (I wish Logic had a browser and automation features more like Live)

In conclusion, they're all great DAW's, you just have to pick the ones that suit you better.

PS: Alchemy in Logic Pro X 10.2 is Camel Audio's Alchemy 2 and it's pretty awesome.

For the guys who are saying you can't recall dnb producers who use Logic Pro X as their main DAW, you made me pee my pants in laughter for a bit there.
There are quite a few dnb producers using Logic X... DLR and Icicle are two that come immediately on the top of my head. Some others still use Logic Pro 9, but quite a few are upgrading. The features are all still there and there's quite a few improvements!

As for the "pro studios" you will never seem them use Live, or FL. Some of them use Logic Pro X, others use Cubase and most of them use Pro Tools.

I don't understand the argument on the price dropping. It's a marketing strategy. I'm guessing It's much more likely for someone to buy Logic when it's tagged at 200$ instead of 900$. We are on the bedroom producers age, and apple is making their move!

Don't get me wrong, I use Live 9 and Logic Pro X interchangeably. I really like the ease of use of Live, but the mixer and the overview you get are terrible. Also the midi editing in Logic has quite some more tricks under the sleeve when compared to Live. Both of them have advantages and disadvantages (I wish Logic had a browser and automation features more like Live)

In conclusion, they're all great DAW's, you just have to pick the ones that suit you better.

PS: Alchemy in Logic Pro X 10.2 is Camel Audio's Alchemy 2 and it's pretty awesome.

icicle still uses logic 9 , dlr uses various daws and logic x isn't the main one ( quite a few lol compare the numbers with ableton's users )... No one said Fl is used in studios and live is used in beat making/ production studios very often, obviously not to records bands .. Logic's development team is reduced to the minimum terms ..these are the facts. About peeing your pants you just verified my point so...maybe check things next time ;)

Back
Top Bottom