DnB I iz wanting to make a banging drop init :)

greenflydnb

Whats up.

At the moment to the build up to the drop i build up the drums gradually and add a pitch riser just before, what else can i add to make the build up more prominent?

Also i want the drop to have more of a 'bang', any tips on how to achieve this?

Sound as 2 pound.

you could through in the classic "kick roll" which is classic in dancefloor tunes

Yeh I include the drum roll all the time, maybe a cymbal just before the drop?

I remember watching a video by camo & krooked and they said to fill the sound spectrum building up to the drop and then take certain parts away for the drop, but how do I fill the spectrum? Simply by viewing a spectral analyser whilst including different frequencies? Maybe like white noise?

Camo & Krooked have loads of sound effects going on during build ups, all sweeping side to side in the stereo field, phasing, flanging etc.

You just have to layer different sounds that compliment each other. This will involve a lot of hunting for the right sound, or if you are good at synthesis, make them yourself.

Camo & Krooked have loads of sound effects going on during build ups, all sweeping side to side in the stereo field, phasing, flanging etc.

You just have to layer different sounds that compliment each other. This will involve a lot of hunting for the right sound, or if you are good at synthesis, make them yourself.

I wish they did loads of masterclass's :(. Yeh i don't believe in using samples, so i suppose i better get good at synthesis lol. I guess there is a lot of automation going on aswell?

I can guarantee they would use samples as well as creating some of the sounds.

Yeah loads of automation, that's why it all sounds so interesting and dynamic. It's all about the movement within the sounds.

I wish they did loads of masterclass's :(. Yeh i don't believe in using samples, so i suppose i better get good at synthesis lol. I guess there is a lot of automation going on aswell?

surely you use drum samples?? practically all drum and bass uses sampling in some aspect

Does pretty much everyone use samples then? Im trying my hardest to stay away from them but if all the big producers use them then i wouldn't feel so guilty lol, i see it as kinda cheating, is that just me? Ofcourse i use samples for drums though.

i wouldnt generalize the statement into " all producers use samples" but i find it hard to make an authentic rolling drum and bass beat without using drum samples atleast, everything else is optional, some producers such as calibre base their entire tracks on samples, where as producers such as noisia and phace might synthesize an entire track besides the drums

People will use samples for lots of things, but mostly atmospheric sounds, explosions, bleepy noises, stuff like that. Things that fill out a tune but kind of blend into the background, you don't really notice them.

They would also take a sample and just use a part of it, stretch it out a bit, make it their own.

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

i wouldnt generalize the statement into " all producers use samples" but i find it hard to make an authentic rolling drum and bass beat without using drum samples atleast, everything else is optional, some producers such as calibre base their entire tracks on samples, where as producers such as noisia and phace might synthesize an entire track besides the drums

Yep I would agree with that. Im just trying to say there is nothign wrong with using samples, some of the best tunes ever made have been mostly samples.

Have a hi pass filter on your drums track/master/whatever automated up before the drop, it will add more boom boom to your tune tune init

Yes yes yes. . Automate the hell out of your synths during the build. . . .Bring in reverb, phase, flange, bring up the release, pitch, white noise, add an LFO to the white noise and automate it to get faster and faster and faster.. . .Theres so many awesome things to do in a build. . . . The sky is the limit. You can't do much of this with samples. . . . .Samples are no fun at all.

Yes yes yes. . Automate the hell out of your synths during the build. . . .Bring in reverb, phase, flange, bring up the release, pitch, white noise, add an LFO to the white noise and automate it to get faster and faster and faster.. . .Theres so many awesome things to do in a build. . . . The sky is the limit. You can't do much of this with samples. . . . .Samples are no fun at all.

Actually, you can do everything you just mentioned using samples.....

the biggest thing that held me back at the beginning was being reluctant to use samples for anything except drums. it doesnt matter what you use to get the finished product, the way you put everything together is going to be completely individual. in my tunes i usually synthesise my own basslines and sometimes other synths and pads. but from there everything i use is usually a sample, thats been cut up and processed. i find half a bar of silence helps the drop hit HARD :)

Woah that sounds sick, aint thought of most of them... legend :).

the biggest thing that held me back at the beginning was being reluctant to use samples for anything except drums. it doesnt matter what you use to get the finished product, the way you put everything together is going to be completely individual. in my tunes i usually synthesise my own basslines and sometimes other synths and pads. but from there everything i use is usually a sample, thats been cut up and processed. i find half a bar of silence helps the drop hit HARD :)

Yeh thats exactly the same as me, i use a couple of samples here and there. All my drums are samples though. Mmm i love the half bar of silence :).

x10000.

samples are at least as much fun as synthesized sounds are.

even heard of re-synthesizing ?

No, Whats re-synthesizing?

Going back to the original question, sometimes putting in a very short silence before the drop can set it up pretty well.

I just want to say i LOVE anyone on this thread who said for me to use samples..... Made a sick track yesterday!!

---------- Post added at 11:30 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

Ive found that using white noise before and after the drop, using a drum roll, taking some instruments out and adding a riser before the drop is a good way, then after the drop use a single noise before the main bassline if you get me :)

Back
Top Bottom